Pick 4 on the table?

Remove this Banner Ad

With the 25% academy discounts GCS will get sufficient points trading out Sharp, Chol or Hollands. Trading out pick pick 4 will be a bonus and they could possibly look at trading in a required player, plus add on pick/s.

That will set them up nicely for the future Walters - Key Forward, Read - Ruckman/Forward, Rogers - small forward/midfielder & Graham - HBF and the traded in player. Plus they have another NT kid who will most likely make it to their rookie list.

The thing is if Hawthorn get a bad luck of injuries next season, they will definitely be bottom 4 again (maybe lower) next season

It's too risky for them to offer up their future 1st unless they know they were getting a proven/established young talent like Noah Anderson imo.
Hawthorn did have their % decrease from 89 to 80 this year. They will have some players improve, but are very dependent on Sicily and Lewis at each end.

I think aboout 2000 points in 2023 plus a 2024r1 with a 2024r2 going back is what they get.
We will make up a chunk of these points ( if not all) with the trading of a combination of Chol, Burgess, Hollands and Sharp. Add these the draft hand we already have ( approximately 2400 without pick 4) we can cover our academy picks

Leaving pick 4 to highest bidder

We will make up a chunk of these points ( if not all) with the trading of a combination of Chol, Burgess, Hollands and Sharp. Add these the draft hand we already have ( approximately 2400 without pick 4) we can cover our academy picks

How many list spots do you think you'll have open going into the draft?

IMO if Pick 4 becomes pick 5 through the McKay compo its value drops off significantly. There are 4 talents worth trading up for: Reid, Curtin, Duursma, Caddy.

Now North might take Sanders but you arent going to know that until after a Walter bid.

The thing is if Hawthorn get a bad luck of injuries next season, they will definitely be bottom 4 again (maybe lower) next season

It's too risky for them to offer up their future 1st unless they know they were getting a proven/established young talent like Noah Anderson imo.
Even if they finish 4th last theyd see it as a huge win

If you got pick 2 or 3 ( but have agreed not to take Curtain, who would you take instead).
McKercher?

I LOVE how GC are playing this. Hollands, Chol and Burgess (Sharp is going to be basically free so isnt getting them anything) have a little bit of value being contracted but freeing up capspace tied up with them for points is going to give them a lot of flexibility and they just sit back waiting to see who offers the most for 4

They can take in A LOT. There is a lot of player on this list they can re-draft on the night at basically no risk of anyone else taking them

View attachment 1797662
Only Constable, Casboult, Sharp, Day are on senior list. So that's 4 spots. Burgess/Chol potentially leaving opens more spots.
Players like Berry, Sexton could be asked to be de-listed and drafted as rookies.

The rest of the list depends on list size. Nobody really knows if Suns will still keep extra rookie list spots (probably as per last year media report). Some mature players are basically VFL quality (doing great job there) and just emergency depth. I expect 3-4 to go unless still kept for VFL (Blakely, Stein, Tsitas, Anderson). Some could be re-signed for VFL only if list size is reduced similar to Lions strategy (Buzza, Rayner brothers).

Last edited:
Is it being reported that the doggies 10 and 17 is the best offer?

I find this a little surprising, just using my club as an example our F1st and 29 is a better offer if we were to offer it.

Unless Gold coast have a player they want to trade for that they need 10 or 17 I don't get the appeal. Those picks only equate to about pick 43 in extra points.

Also if they needed a 1st Rd pick to trade on draft night wouldn't they be better off with a good F1st so they can burn up those 3rd and 4th rounders beforehand?

Is it being reported that the doggies 10 and 17 is the best offer?

I find this a little surprising, just using my club as an example our F1st and 29 is a better offer if we were to offer it.

Unless Gold coast have a player they want to trade for that they need 10 or 17 I don't get the appeal. Those picks only equate to about pick 43 in extra points.

Also if they needed a 1st Rd pick to trade on draft night wouldn't they be better off with a good F1st so they can burn up those 3rd and 4th rounders beforehand?
I would expect 10 + 17 would still come with sweetener but it obviously depends on offers from other clubs. It's just beginning of bidding.

Your potential F1 + 29 looks decent offer. It would be approx. pick 6 + 29 to match 10 + 17 on points. 10+17 offer eliminates risk where Hawks will finish. Suns got burned multiple times.

One of 10 + 17 picks could be used in player trade or trade for F1. The other pick for points to match academy bids. Points for players leaving will make impact too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would expect 10 + 17 would still come with sweetener but it obviously depends on offers from other clubs. It's just beginning of bidding.

Your potential F1 + 29 looks decent offer. It would be approx. pick 6 + 29 to match 10 + 17 on points. 10+17 offer eliminates risk where Hawks will finish. Suns got burned multiple times.

One of 10 + 17 picks could be used in player trade or trade for F1. The other pick for points to match academy bids. Points for players leaving will make impact too.
Yeah Future pick has that risk of being a variable but also has the advantage of being untouched by the bid matching process. If you land high quality Future pick like ours or norths or eagles it would hold alot of value on draft night to on traded in the event you need additional points or a player slides that your interest in. A good future pick allows you to re-enter the draft after bid matching.

I might be missing something but the doggies offer doesn't seem to great if you are talking the picks to draft as they will just get absorbed into the Walter bid.

I haven't been following to closely but this was just my first thought when I looked at your current draft hand and heard about the doggies offer.

Last edited:
Yeah Future pick has that risk of being a variable but also has the advantage of being untouched by the bid matching process. If you land high quality Future pick like ours or norths or eagles it would hold alot of value on draft night to on traded in the event you need additional points or a player slides that your interest in. A good future pick allows you to re-enter the draft after bid matching.

I might be missing something but the doggies offer doesn't seem to great if you are talking the picks to draft as they will just get absorbed into the Walter bid.

I haven't been following to closely but this was just my first thought when I looked at your current draft hand and heard about the doggies offer.
I am pretty sure one of WB picks would be traded (player or F1). We will get some points from players leaving so possibly only one pick would be needed for matching bids.

I think if they did 4 for 10 and 17 (dogs still need to add more imo maybe a future) they will trade 10 for somebodys FR1 and they will trade 17 down for points (eg for 2 r2s etc) they wont take 10 and 17 to the draft alone for the reason you said.

WCE in: 5, 10
WCE out: WCE F1, 36, 39

ADE in: WCE F1
ADE out: 10, 24, ADE F1

GC in: ADE F1, 24, 36, 39
GC out: 5

Adelaide gets above a bid on Welsh next year and Gold Coast gets a promise that West Coast won't bid on any of their academy boys.

I just see the two lists as the same thing these days, pretty easy to move players to the rookie list if needed

If the afl brings in that rule where you can shift direct from senior list to rookie without having to risk them going through the draft then that helps them.

I am pretty sure one of WB picks would be traded (player or F1). We will get some points from players leaving so possibly only one pick would be needed for matching bids.
Do you think our future first and 17 would get it done?

Adelaide gets above a bid on Welsh next year and Gold Coast gets a promise that West Coast won't bid on any of their academy boys.
We don’t need the points, will be trading players that bring in enough

That’s horrendous. We don’t know where Welsh will end up. Your proposal could easily be Adeliade 10,24 and 2024 say pick 8 for 2024 pick 4?

No thanks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Won’t it just get eaten up by the bids?

I can’t speak for the hawks, but we’re definitely dumb enough.
This.

Essendon will still have a young list and now a mid table strength of schedule. They will likely finish worse next season and end up in the top 4

You can do some mental gymnastics to sort out a straight swap but Gold Coast will want more then just F1 which means Essendon would be giving up 2 quality picks for the chance to draft someone who might be worse then the guy they pick next year

It’s something between desperation and madness that would look to make that move

Remove this Banner Ad

Back