Opinion Pick your first 11 Soccer team from AFL players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt it. But it's hard to say, running with the ball at your feet at that height is crazy hard, maybe he has a career similar to Peter Crouch which is nothing to be ashamed of, big Pete was great.
Only 4cms taller than Ibra. I could see him being a taller version of Adriano.

I came in to make the “pick all the best floppers” joke but I see I am too late
Ill Just Leave Tony Hale GIF

Is Brad Green still fit enough?

Two from Freo's past that would walk into any side are Clive Waterhouse as a striker and Ryan Crowley as a defensive midfielder.

That’s a really tall midfield, they’ll struggle to keep the ball against any possession based side.
It is, but you have 2 players with massive tanks in Blicavs and Bont, and then explosive pace in Petracca. If I was coaching this team, you would have Petracca as an AM and Bont as a CM, with Blitz as a box to box DM. Bont would sit deeper and spray through balls. Its then offset by the disgusting pace you have at FB and at WF, and then you have Barrass who is constantly listed in WCE quickest player lists each year.

Honestly, look at the top 2 EPL teams. Not heaps have blistering pace in the midfield.
City have De Bruyne, Silva and Rodri in MF, they aren't super quick players but De Bruyne and Rodri are big bodied mids.
Arsenal have Odegaard, Partey and Xhaka, same thing there Xhaka is a bus, but him and Partey have bigger bodies and massive endurance levels.

Blicavs is the only one that stands out for height at 198cm.
Rodri is 191cm and Bontempelli is 193cm.
De Bruyne is 181cm, Partey is 185cm and Petracca is 186cm.

So its hardly like Petracca and Bontempelli would be standing over them compared to if they were next to Messi.

That said in retrospect if I redid that team I would consider putting Blicavs to CB instead of McKay, and throw Touk Millar in midfield.

Mark Blicavs
Zach Tuohy - Sam Draper - Darcy Moore - Adam Saad
Christian Petracca - Brayden Maynard
Chad Wingard - Marcus Bontempelli - Josh Rachele
Max King

Last edited:
Everybody who is a proven stager.

At physical education at school those who played soccer with clubs were always the ones who dropped when you got within 1-2m of them in any sport. Play had to stop, teacher was considering calling an ambulance and in the end nothing had happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everybody who is a proven stager.

At physical education at school those who played soccer with clubs were always the ones who dropped when you got within 1-2m of them in any sport. Play had to stop, teacher was considering calling an ambulance and in the end nothing had happened.
Yep and every footballer was a thug who liked to hit people behind the play in phys Ed and break any poor dweebs' back that happened to get between them and the ball, esp when marking.

Can u imagine soccer administrators reaction if an afl player expressed interest in playing in the a league when the new season starts (must be soon)? They would be over the moon at the thought that soccer might get on the front page for a day or two.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can u imagine soccer administrators reaction if an afl player expressed interest in playing in the a league when the new season starts (must be soon)? They would be over the moon at the thought that soccer might get on the front page for a day or two.

Maybe in 3 cities in the entire world this might be true.

And reverse situation, any time any media around the globe mentions Aussie Rules in any way, the local media lose their sh*t over it.

Got to get Sammy Draper in there some where:

Born in South Australia, Draper spent six years of his childhood in England with his main sporting pursuit as a soccer goalkeeper and defender. At 17 years of age, he decided to try his hand at Australian Rules Football with the Reynella Wineflies Football Club, just outside of Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back