Opinion Player list management and game plan 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If reports are true why the **** would you move to Melbourne for only 50k more a year than what port are offering. You'll be worse off considering cost of living plus that fact you're playing for a club going nowhere. If he does go with this deal it's clear he has no choice really and Port want him to ****off.

Doubt he would, plus he’s probably got a job with our aboriginal community programs and academy after footy aswell

Mayes hasn't had the injury problems that bedevilled Toumpas. Hasn't really clicked at Brisbane but physically he should be alright.

Knightmare rated him highly in his 2012 assessment. Pace, foot skills, good around goals.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2012-mock-draft.956129/

#8 Brisbane- Sam Mayes (SA – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 20/05/1994
Recruited from: North Adelaide
Style:
Player comparison: Brad Green
Range: 7-15
Profile: Leadup forward who can also push into the midfield and have an impact. Mayes is an excellent user of the footy by foot, finding targets with ease but what most stands out is his ability to finish around goal consistently. Has above average pace and can at times burst away from the trailing defender. Marking ability very strong for a player of his size so there is a lot to work with. Has some ball winning ability through the midfield but still more improvement needs to come in this area for him to become an elite player. Long term with Mayes the view would be for him to develop into a midfielder and with his great footskills, speed then ability when pushing forward to present as a marking target he looms as an ideal player to have in your rotation as a midfielder/forward. But will take some time to develop into a high level midfielder and might benefit from learning off other established high level midfielders who can further help Mayes develop his midfield game. I wouldn’t mind seeing what Mayes can do off a back flank at the next level and I think this could be another possibility for him with his skill set and I expect he would be adaptable enough to adjust to this type of role if required.
Not a very good strike-rate getting players from North Adelaide.

Cam Hewett, Mitch Harvey, Callum Hay, Wade Thompson, Adam Grocke, Damian Squire, Josh Francou. Missing anyone?

Mayes is a good low investment potential high return pick.

He's different to the other ones we've picked up in the past in that he's fully fit and hasn't been ravaged by injury or age like Thomas, Trengove, McKenzie and Toumpas.

Our last similar pick yielded us Polec (though he had injury troubles of his own at Brisbane).

Worth a shot, let's see if lightning strikes twice.

If reports are true why the **** would you move to Melbourne for only 50k more a year than what port are offering. You'll be worse off considering cost of living plus that fact you're playing for a club going nowhere. If he does go with this deal it's clear he has no choice really and Port want him to ****off.

Who now? Wingard?

Brisbane have been playing him out of position for years. If we used him properly he'd be a great value pick-up. Unfortunately I was saying the same thing last year about Trent McKenzie :oops:

"Macrae is a good player and all but we wouldn't trade Will Hayward or George Hewett for him"
Regarding McKenzie, I think he exactly was the depth we thought he would be, was able to play if needed if he has a good year.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back