Players you are surprised are still on an AFL list

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s still Ryan Clarke

Headless chook footballer
He's actually been pretty good for us for the past 18 months. Taking him out of the mids where he would routinely butcher the ball and playing him as a defensive forward has worked wonders.

Always goes to the opposition's best rebounding defender and generally does a job on them. He's taken some pretty big scalps and his job on Daicos in the prelim was instrumental in our win.

Nah that's fair enough, I will say he gives it his all and that's all you can ever ask for a player who suits up for the field. He's a lot better at footy than I am for sure haha.

Who knows maybe it was just his developing in the Carlton system with the expectation of his name, a bit like the Brown bros at Collingwood who were also good at playing their role, but not too much after that.
Brown bros good at playing their role?
Not sure I’ve heard anyone say that before.

With potentially 3-5 retirees for west coast how many more can they get away with delisting? What is the biggest turnover you can have in a year?
The retirees thing depends on how many contracts the club is willing to pay out.
Hurn is contracted for this year and at 35, should definitely be gone.
Shuey should go but I believe he's on for 24, if not then he needs to go.
Naita is contracted for 24 but ffs, he really needs to go.
Gaff is contracted for 24 or 25. Needs to go but won't.
Cripps isn't contracted but he should stay imo.
Realistically 2 retirees is what'll probably happen this off season (let's say Hurn and Naita) with several out of contract spuds being delisted. No different to the end of 2017 except with less upside.

I was trying to be charitable :)

The Brown brothers fascinate me.

Their dad is a Collingwood great.

How does the talent drop off the next generation?

Surely Rowdy being who he is would've given his sons a first hand look at how good and skilled you'd have to be to make it through the grades.

Surely Rowdy being who he is would've given his sons a first hand look at how good and skilled you'd have to be to make it through the grades.
Right, it's just one of those things I guess I mean look at the polar opposite in Josh/Nick Daicos. Josh took a little while to arrive, but him finally finding his feet on the wing and suddenly he's best 22 (and a handy GOTY win for the legacy). Then there's Nick... well, I think he speaks for himself haha

Right, it's just one of those things I guess I mean look at the polar opposite in Josh/Nick Daicos. Josh took a little while to arrive, but him finally finding his feet on the wing and suddenly he's best 22 (and a handy GOTY win for the legacy). Then there's Nick... well, I think he speaks for himself haha

I was loathed to bring up the Daicos brothers given the Brown/Daicos comparisons and career trajectories have been spoken about ad nauseum.

I feel like the commentary around Josh and Nick before their respective draft have largely gone to script so there are no surprises from me.

I wonder if the difference in skillset is due to Rowdy being a career AFL assistant coach and Peter doing other things and, thus, Daics was more able to impart his skillset and knowledge into his sons which has shown to help the brothers.

Peter Daicos had more time to drill into his sons the importance of development and maturity while simultaneously holding back the boys from public attention.

Could the Brown brothers have been bogged down by development and who were trying to help these 2?

It's not linear.

Nothing is.

FWIW, Josh's GOTY in 2020 was ridiculous.

It was Daicosian.

Sorry for a brain dump Calo.
Things got out of hand.

They do have ball skills. Just different players. Can’t seem to find the ball in senior footy. Callum regularly gets 30 touches in the VFL. Still doing it at Box Hill this season. A good player, but not damaging enough or kind seem to find the same amount of ball in the seniors.

Tyler has height but just can’t the ball in either VFL or AFL. At Adelaide now. Haven’t followed him. Again, he has skills.

One of the issues with both boys was that they probably lacked a bit of poise with the ball. Always looking to quickly give off the handball rather than run with it or look for better options further up.

I was loathed to bring up the Daicos brothers given the Brown/Daicos comparisons and career trajectories have been spoken about ad nauseum.

I feel like the commentary around Josh and Nick before their respective draft have largely gone to script so there are no surprises from me.

I wonder if the difference in skillset is due to Rowdy being a career AFL assistant coach and Peter doing other things and, thus, Daics was more able to impart his skillset and knowledge into his sons which has shown to help the brothers.

Peter Daicos had more time to drill into his sons the importance of development and maturity while simultaneously holding back the boys from public attention.

Could the Brown brothers have been bogged down by development and who were trying to help these 2?

It's not linear.

Nothing is.

FWIW, Josh's GOTY in 2020 was ridiculous.

It was Daicosian.

Sorry for a brain dump Calo.
Things got out of hand.
Haha love a good brain dump, its bigfooty after all if you can't put it here then where else is it meant to go.

Interesting point. Logically I would have thought having a father still so invested in the footy world even at a coaching level would give his kids a lot of pointers and knowledge about the game tactically and strategically as it is in the modern day.

With Daicos' experience mostly reserved from back in the semi-professional days - albeit still ever-relevant. The important thing he was imparting on the young Daicos' boys was skills, goal-sense, etc.

At the end of the day players are drafted primarily for their footballing skill in a position area, rather than footballing "smarts". Though the latter can often be the difference between which of two similarly-skilled players gets taken ahead.

That 2020 GOTY you just can't script those. Although I wasn't old enough to watch it live at the time, it just turned the clock back to Peter's 1990 QF tying goal vs WCE.

There was also this one (sorry ;) )

Another thing caloschwaby.

Could Nick have had the advantage of seeing his brother rise through the ranks and saw the attention given to Josh and, thus, was able to fly under the radar for a few years to work on his game?
I think having an older brother already in the league for 3+ years before you is completely invaluable. Being able to give you heads up on how things are, the expectations, not to mention going to the same club as him and immediately feeling comfortable about where you're playing.

But the truth is that I think he only flew under the radar for most oppo fans, since Pies fans were aware that this second Daicos brother was going to be even better than the first from years ago. I think the moment that solidified it for me was the Collingwood vs Essendon NGA match played as a curtain raiser to our R23 matchup in 2019, when Nick was just 16. No idea where/if the stats are located anywhere, but people watching said it was like boys vs men with him out there.

1685152233374.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Seedsman.

I haven't seen him play for yonks, really surprised he's still around.

Paul Seedsman.

I haven't seen him play for yonks, really surprised he's still around.

On the list for Work Cover reasons

How often has the younger brother looked past it while the older brother looks like he'd play on for another year or 2 or more?
Dogs stuck with Sam Power for a while. Nothing like his brother Luke on field. Turned out decent for the club off field however

Rory Lobb can’t play

Not saying they suck but more a couple of players that feel like they’ve been around for millennia

Ryan Lester - swear he was post 3-peat sort of Adcock, Brennan era Lions

Liam Jones - pretty sure he was a fledgling forward when channel 10 still had the rights

Time is a flat circle

Absolute dud who has never averaged more than 12.5 possessions per game across any of his 9 seasons. A pressure forward who doesn’t actually tackle or doesn’t kick goals. Averaged 0.5 goals per game across 124 games with the vast majority of them being played in the forward line.

An indictment on the North list management team that he has continued to get contracts let alone play.

Any other club in the AFL (or state leagues) would’ve moved him on after a couple of seasons. Yet here we are.
Believe it is not, there's still a decent chance Turner ends up playing more games as a pressure forward than Cyril Rioli!

Josh's GOTY in 2020 was ridiculous.

It was Daicosian.
I missed that. Wasn't paying attention at the time. Just watched it then

Good goal... but surely one of the least-impressive GOTY's in recent years
  • Good attack on the ball to intercept the attempted clearing kick. He fumbled it, though. Not great.
  • Did well to follow up and regather it along the boundary. AWFUL defending by Robbie Fox, however. Seriously... WTF???
  • Steadies, takes a quick look at goal and then hits the checkside/banana from 25m-30m out.
A worthy contender for goal of the round... but goal of the year???

People always blow their loads over the 30m goals from near the boundary line. They always seem to score double points in GOTY discussions.
The camera angles make these goals seem more "impossible" than they actually are.

If you stood where Josh Daicos took that kick from, you'd see it's perfectly gettable.
There are many goals kicked from there (but the commentators always go crazy like they've never seen it before. :tearsofjoy:)

It's always a risky, ill-advised shot. The percentage play is a chip pass inside to a teammate. but sometimes players take pot luck and 20%-30% of the time, it goes through.

Last edited:

The talent drop off to the next generation is a hell of a lot more pronounced with the hundreds (if not thousands) of sons of AFL greats who never even came close to making an AFL list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back