Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon they think they can compete with the current guys and might trade out for a ready to go player.
I don't think they should.
It'd take a from the clouds selection at this stage it feels, usually we have a fair indication about guys that are possibly on the move at this stage of the year and any of those rumoured, outside of Cerra, aren't really worth those high end picks. And I'm pretty sure Dimma said in his press conference last night they were planning to use them? idk tho, didn't watch

Seen a few talking about the dogs pick and trying to get our hands on it, or trying to squeeze another first out of a club if we end up losing CCJ and trying to package him up

Likely suitors seems to be Gold Coast or your mob (GWS)
Although if we wanted to go after the first picks they have (3 or 4) in that situation it would probably end up just an upgrade on our pick 7 so it’s a negligible gain imo

However GWS’s pick 12 might be a realistic target for an upgrade if we package up our 2nd first and CCJ for it

or gold coasts pick 19* with CCJ and one of our 2nd round picks if they are allowed to trade it
It's a weird one, I feel like we're pretty set on the CCJ types unless Riccardi moves, in which case I'm all for doing Pick 12 for CCJ + 16/17/18. I'd be surprised if we moved on that Pick 2/3/4 at this stage even if it only ends up being a small downgrade, Caruso seems high on the talent in that range and would assumedly want the first pick in the region

Talk of Hopper or Green are our targets as far as established players go, they would be just as good as tacking the picks to the draft imo but also don’t really see them as being gettable and think it’s just noise

Would prefer we hit the draft with our early picks and go for the best available
Looking at this from an extremely bias POV, I reckon both would command at least your Pick 7 and likely your second first with a second or something heading back, Green in particular as he's contracted.
I do like that we're destined for 'Green is definitley going to richmond' for his entire career if he doesnt move

Looking at this from an extremely bias POV, I reckon both would command at least your Pick 7 and likely your second first with a second or something heading back, Green in particular as he's contracted.
I do like that we're destined for 'Green is definitley going to richmond' for his entire career if he doesnt move
Agree 100%
Some on the Richmond board are absolutely sold on the Green connection because of family links but I tend to think he already has a stronger link with you guys
Academy member, born and bred in Sydney and already has relationships with GWS players from playing for them

Reeks of the North and Kelly delusion to me

Agree 100%
Some on the Richmond board are absolutely sold on the Green connection because of family links but I tend to think he already has a stronger link with you guys
Academy member, born and bred in Sydney and already has relationships with GWS players from playing for them

Reeks of the North and Kelly delusion to me
Nah it's part of the theatrics of the game, creates a nice little rivalry between us as well so all for it.

I also expect a blow up when the Giants player a big Vic club think they are entitled to stay that we are stupid for paying them so much and/or Gil's love child comments.
Green and Hopper are committed at least in the short term and very unlikely to leave in the next couple years.

I also expect a blow up when the Giants player a big Vic club think they are entitled to stay that we are stupid for paying them so much and/or Gil's love child comments.
Green and Hopper are committed at least in the short term and very unlikely to leave in the next couple years.
Agree, granted I would absolutely love to get them and would happily pay through the nose I can’t see them moving on in the short term

More of a risk of losing Taranto imho, due to the salary cap squeeze but you guys also have Ward entering his last season or two given his age freeing up cash

Agree, granted I would absolutely love to get them and would happily pay through the nose I can’t see them moving on in the short term

More of a risk of losing Taranto imho, due to the salary cap squeeze but you guys also have Ward entering his last season or two given his age freeing up cash
We're in such a fortunate position where, yes losing TT would absolutely hurt and there's no way to dress it as a positive, but with guys like Xavier O'Halloran and Tanner Bruhn (I genuinely reckon Bruhn will end up our best player some day) ready to step up into that role immediately we wouldn't be as hurt by the loss as another club would be, although preferably I'd like to keep everyone

We're in such a fortunate position where, yes losing TT would absolutely hurt and there's no way to dress it as a positive, but with guys like Xavier O'Halloran and Tanner Bruhn (I genuinely reckon Bruhn will end up our best player some day) ready to step up into that role immediately we wouldn't be as hurt by the loss as another club would be, although preferably I'd like to keep everyone
I guess that’s the downside for GWS’ strong draft hands and recruiting over the years
You have so many genuine guns and especially midfielders coming into the club every year it’s a very difficult balance between experience, cap space and opportunity and ultimately it’s impossible to keep them all

Sucks seeing great players leave the club but it’s not a terrible problem to have either

Butler likely to be available in the late 20s? Getting another butler on our list would be nice
I don't think so personally, given Twomey has him in the teens thats a decent indicator he's rated around there at club level, and from a personal point of view I'd be willing to use a first rounder on him, has a good combination of agility, acceleration and clean ball use as a midfielder that makes him damaging, especially out of stoppages, but works hard around the ground as well, and possesses some good creativity in the forward line as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be keen to know what you thought of their respective games yesterday?
Both pretty good, Horne-Francis put up a pretty standard performance of his with some higher production disposals wise, thought he did especially well around stoppages considering Sutcliffe and Powell-Pepper, two chonky boys, were his main match ups. Pedantically I would've loved to see him put himself on Woodcock to show he could negate an opposition player whilst maintaining his own impact but thats more a coaching decision than anything else. Also though he was the only Souths player that didn't drop his head at any point, watching him, and it's a common theme of his, you can see he feels like he's a good chance to win every contest or always impact the play one way or another.
Draper's a lot more impressive as a high half forward than any other role I reckon, good leap and speed means he can get easy separation and mark it pretty high up, then follows up well with his ball use. Felt he had a couple of opportunities to score but opted to go to a team mate to set up an opportunity for them rather than take it himself, forgot which quarter but one where he kicked it backwards into the corridor I thought he should've gone for, but he may have been told to be more team orientated at some stage

Both good performances for 18-year-olds against men

We may lose Taranto, I think we a more chance to lose one of Bruhn or O'Halloran.
Losing Jezza and Z Williams may mean we keep the bulk of this lot together, but the way it works it is difficult to keep them all.
I agree with PMBangers I reckon that Tanner could easily be the best of our players (or in the argument)

Both pretty good, Horne-Francis put up a pretty standard performance of his with some higher production disposals wise, thought he did especially well around stoppages considering Sutcliffe and Powell-Pepper, two chonky boys, were his main match ups. Pedantically I would've loved to see him put himself on Woodcock to show he could negate an opposition player whilst maintaining his own impact but thats more a coaching decision than anything else. Also though he was the only Souths player that didn't drop his head at any point, watching him, and it's a common theme of his, you can see he feels like he's a good chance to win every contest or always impact the play one way or another.
Draper's a lot more impressive as a high half forward than any other role I reckon, good leap and speed means he can get easy separation and mark it pretty high up, then follows up well with his ball use. Felt he had a couple of opportunities to score but opted to go to a team mate to set up an opportunity for them rather than take it himself, forgot which quarter but one where he kicked it backwards into the corridor I thought he should've gone for, but he may have been told to be more team orientated at some stage

Both good performances for 18-year-olds against men

Thanks for the response. Interesting to hear your thoughts.

As a side note, Woodcock was bloody impressive and given he is OOC there would have to be a fair amount of interest from other clubs.

Thanks for the response. Interesting to hear your thoughts.

As a side note, Woodcock was bloody impressive and given he is OOC there would have to be a fair amount of interest from other clubs.
No worries, saw your write up on the Pies board and thought it was far more insightful than mine :tearsofjoy: it's a shame we won't get to see Horne against draft aged kids this year to see how he looks in the environment =(

Yeah he was really impressive, Port have some damn decent depth unsurprisingly. My only thought would be he's fairly small for a midfield role at the next level, but there are worse guys getting gigs in midfield trios currently

End of Home and Away Season Phantom
end of ha 1.PNG
end of ha 2.PNG

More than I ever I feel the need to reiterate that this is not indicative of my personal rankings, no those are all over the shop currently, literally disgusting. But yeah this is a quick crack at a top 50 picks phantom, I feel like I hit most needs but I'm sure I'm wrong along the line somewhere. What I will say is how tempting it was to include some overagers throughout but not really being able to balance up where to put them. I've mentioned Leek Alleer before, late on the bandwagon, but I could certainly see him going before Rhett Bazzo. Also considered Luke Cleary, Jack Briskey, Sam Paea and Saxon Crozier at different points, but just went benefit of the doubt to the 18-year-olds.

No worries, saw your write up on the Pies board and thought it was far more insightful than mine :tearsofjoy: it's a shame we won't get to see Horne against draft aged kids this year to see how he looks in the environment =(

Yeah, didn’t want to post it elsewhere and get accused of bias or slagging him off. I thought it was reasonably balanced.

Absolutely agree about the champs. Such a bummer.

View attachment 1213938
View attachment 1213940

More than I ever I feel the need to reiterate that this is not indicative of my personal rankings, no those are all over the shop currently, literally disgusting. But yeah this is a quick crack at a top 50 picks phantom, I feel like I hit most needs but I'm sure I'm wrong along the line somewhere. What I will say is how tempting it was to include some overagers throughout but not really being able to balance up where to put them. I've mentioned Leek Alleer before, late on the bandwagon, but I could certainly see him going before Rhett Bazzo. Also considered Luke Cleary, Jack Briskey, Sam Paea and Saxon Crozier at different points, but just went benefit of the doubt to the 18-year-olds.
I love North more for who they didn’t bid on, and the saltiness it will cause.

I love North more for who they didn’t bid on, and the saltiness it will cause.
Ha, actually I won't be surprised if Norths don't bid and just do a straight #1 selection. Leave it to GWS to play the ''bad guy''. Given that Daicos and Darcy actually fit the two needs the GWS list has, I won't be surprised if GWS do bid on both. But not guaranteed to IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back