Port Adelaide 2016 = Geelong 2007?

Remove this Banner Ad

Born and bred in Port Adelaide an I still grew up HATING the magpies and Power (notice how I said Magpies and Power? cos to me it will always be two different teams/club up until the start of last year. cos now the magpies are a defunct club.. the team in the sanfl are the power reserves only wearing the magpies Guernsey and logo to shut the port ppl up) Nothing wrong with Sturt buddy.
There's your problem fella, you are carrying all this hate and it's weighing you down.

There's your problem fella, you are carrying all this hate and it's weighing you down.
Not at all... if port fans were more humble and not so arrogant and sure of themselves maybe I wouldn't have such hate for them.
You can be confident but wow Port fans take it to a new level. always have. Anyway thanks to the Port magpies footy club trying to backdoor the SANFL and screw everyone over the birth of a great footy club happened in 1990.. and its the best thing to happen to South Australia.

Not at all... if port fans were more humble and not so arrogant and sure of themselves maybe I wouldn't have such hate for them.
You can be confident but wow Port fans take it to a new level. always have. Anyway thanks to the Port magpies footy club trying to backdoor the SANFL and screw everyone over the birth of a great footy club happened in 1990.. and its the best thing to happen to South Australia.
LOL, Sturt, says it all really.

Can't underestimate this. Geelong were absolutely gifted some of the best players to ever play for their club all at or around the same time. A bit of luck their combined with some excellent drafting helped them build arguably the greatest ever Geelong side
What are you talking about? Geelong wasn't gifted one top five draft pick in the previous 10 years (20 now) and were competing against clubs like the saints, Hawks and pies for flags who not only had multiple top five picks, but priority picks and in the case of the hawks and saints number 1 draft picks. The fact geelong had one and possibly two father sons worthy of a first round selection doesn't even remotely make up for the massive disadvantage geelong had.

Lol lets just ignore the fact that our two best defenders were injured most the year in a team that had a down year... "Richmond have a better backline" HAHA please, any backline that includes Chaplin cant be taken serious. Take Rance out of there and your backline is barely in the top 10 in the comp.

Hombsch Trengove Impey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Batchelor Rance Grimes
Pittard Carlile Broadbent>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Houli Chaplin Vlastuin?

Ports backline depth is also far superior with O'Shea, Jonas, Clurey, Krakouer all unlucky not to make the team
Richmonds backline was no. 3 this year overall in the competition, Ports not even close, comparing player names using your own opinion on their ability, while ignoring the reality that your backline let through 300 more points than ours makes a lot of sense:rolleyes:

We've certainly been handed a good draw in 2016 - double up games against Adelaide, Richmond, Brisbane, GWS and Melbourne, and playing at Adelaide Oval in 4 of the first 5 games. I'm quietly confident that the players are hell bent on atoning for 2015: no guarantees, but I'm hopeful of an excellent showing in 2016 - especially given a decent run with injuries.

Ppl aren't knocking the Cats, just making the point that they enjoyed v good luck with their f/s at the right time. Take all 3 even 1 or 2 of those f/sons out of the Cats team & the Cats win only 1 flag maybe.

I think most unbiased football followers think Port should contend for a flag in 2016.

Pretty uncontroversial prediction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better than being fair-weathered bandwagoners, nothing more embarrassing from something that supporters can actually control themselves.
Adelaide's crowd averages jumped over 14 thousand moving to Adelaide Oval. The key point from this is SA fans have been crying out for a city stadium the last 10-15 years and it was only when Port started pushing for it, that it finally happened.

Port fans were even more alienated at Footy Park as it is Adelaides training base and the oval everywhere you could see Crows were the home side. Imagine being stuck in the middle of the suburbs playing in a stadium that had Eagles stuff everywhere, but outside a few token Freo flags nothing. And then be expected to embrace it.

Since Port kicked off the process of reversing everything the SANFL screwed up with our AFL entry (splitting the SANFL Magpies into a club, SANFL holding our license, playing 'home' games at a venue our fans hates) our memberships have gone up year on year.

Yeah, we get it, it's fun to heap s**t on tarps, but trying to extrapolate some future crowds of 20k when we miss the finals (top third for crowds in 2015 despite no finals and outside the Showdown not the away side boost the Vic clubs get more then half their games due to playing other Vic sides) when all the factors that drove our crowds down are gone is sloppy thinking at best.

Would make it easier if our players only had to reach 100 games like those in Victoria, not 200.

Ebert didn't qualify...but the AFL didn't want the fight.
They didn't check it properly, assuming with Russell having played over 200 games it'd be fine. It was when and the SANFL padding of games with preseason games that had them miss it.

I have no doubt that Port will be a strong contender in 2016. They lost five games at home and also dropped matches against Brisbane and Carlton. I expect them to win at least 15 or 16 games in 2016.

Charlie Dixon and Jay Schultz will be an interesting duo up forward. Add Westhoff and Ryder to the mix and they will give opposition defences plenty of headaches. Paddy Ryder gave them nothing in 2015. Disappointing year from their big recruit. He played a monster game vs Hawthorn, but he didn't do much else. Ryder and Lobbe both relish the responsibility of rucking all day unchanged - Hinkley will hoping they can form a better ruck partnership.

Jared Polec is a gun - a goal kicking midfielder who was struck down with a season-ending knee injury in Round 6. Ollie Wines is an absolute beast of a midfielder, but he only played 13 games. It will make a huge difference to Port's midfield if they can both play 20+ games. Too much was left to Boak, Gray, Ebert and Hartlett in 2015. Port simply wasn't as dominant through the middle as they were from 2012-2013.

It will be interesting to see if Chad Wingard can emulate Gazza '07 and become the competition's best player next year. It will be his 5th season in the AFL. Ablett was in his 6th season in 2007. Chad has been better than Gaz was in his first 5 years, but can he go to another level like Gazza did?

Last edited:
I think most unbiased football followers think Port should contend for a flag in 2016.

Pretty uncontroversial prediction.
Port have a good list, not sure it is as good as many Port supporters think but it is a finals level team, so I would say Port should contest finals, a flag is another thing all together, as yet we don't know for sure if 2014 or 2015 was the aberration and we also don't know if the coach after all the accolades in 2014 is as good as he seemed, if he still delivers the 2014 gameplan and I doubt that will happen then Port will be very little better than this year.

Port could finish anywhere from top two to tenth, but it certainly wont just happen like they all seemed to think this year, for Ports sake lets hope the players are a little more level headed than the supporters.

Back oo summed it up well, 2 of their most important mids had terrible 2015s because of injury.

Plus lost a key coach, plus key recruit didn't bed.

A few alibis for 2015.

History never repeats, if we are to win premierships we will have to earn it, rather than rely on precedents, superstitions and other mumbo jumbo.

If we are stupid enough to believe this rubbish we will get what we deserve (again).

Having said that though, if it means we get to beat Adelaide by 119 points in a grand final I'll be more than a little merry about it.
Haha the jokes on you we don't make grand finals.

Wait

Remove this Banner Ad

Back