AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

they were suggesting that they would only play 6 to 8 games so I don't think the financial impost on the club would be great, especially given the sponsors which would jump on board. I am all for it.

From my perspective if we cannot have a team at the same time as the Crows the best case scenario would be for the first season to be exclusive to Victorian clubs.

As bad as that sounds it would keep costs down significantly and allow for interstate clubs to come in at the same time instead of leaving one team in and one team out.

Why not bring the Womens Magpie team under our wing officially as of this season??

We dont have to reinvent the wheel on this - just blow up the tyres!!!

Besides - even hot chicks look ugly as * in crows jumpers... it would drop the crowds dramatically!!!

The one positive for them getting a team, they already have a name... the Cows!!!

Knowing the SANFL they will push the AFL to go with the crows and kick us out of the women's league once it takes over the sawfl - after all under the Affiliation Agreement signed with the AFL nack in 1990 as part of transferring all custodial powers from the Australian National Football Council to the AFL -
"the SANFL in carrying out its obligations under the Affiliation Agreement which it has with the AFL, namely to control the administration of football in South Australia."

http://www.sawfl.org.au/
Clubs & Teams
We are set for a very exciting year in 2016 with 9 new clubs and 15 new teams affiliating with the League!

The SANFL recently announced that it will now be managing the Under 15 Girls competition, as well as introducing new girls competitions in the Auskick, Under 8's, Under 11's and Under 13's age groups. The SA Women's Football League will continue to manage the Under 18 Girls and Open Women's age groups.

Some initial information on The Village Tavern 2016 SA Women's Football League's new and existing clubs can be found below. Please be aware that teams may be subject to change during the club affiliation process which takes place between November and January.

upload_2015-12-8_23-10-51.png

upload_2015-12-8_23-11-31.png

The mooted scenario is 6 teams - 4 from Victoria and 2 from elsewhere. 1 of which is apparently a QLD based team. So you'd think that the other team will be from NSW to drive up viewership numbers for sponsors and to decrease operating costs in terms of flights etc. Especially when you consider that in the formative years it won't be making any money if at all.

Of course, you put the effort in and launch a competitive bid, but there's no way the AFL will pick SA as a test market. We just don't have the population to sustain a prototype league. It makes zero commercial and financial sense.

Why not bring the Womens Magpie team under our wing officially as of this season??

We dont have to reinvent the wheel on this - just blow up the tyres put quality air in the tyres!!!

Besides - even hot chicks look ugly as **** in crows jumpers... it would drop the crowds dramatically!!!

The one positive for them getting a team, they already have a name... the Cows!!!

FTFY

What happens when Sailsbury play Adelaide Uni or Port? :confused:

Looks like the Women league can survive with more than one Magpies team!

Get the ladies playing in the Prison Bars in the national comp! #inbeforecollingwood

This is the front page of the Melbourne Demons iphone app:

161iyki.png

There is no single online presence of Port Adelaide fans that would not become the most pathetic whineboys if the women's team captain & Power captain were the club's public reps (What about the Magpies waaah). Bigfooty in particular is a cesspool of `what the * did I just read' when it comes to women's anything (just look earlier in this thread for a taste of it).

A women's team is a great idea for Port Adelaide; it fits with the club being a pioneer, wanting to compete in the best competitions in the land. Its a forward thinking move and a pretty decent commitment towards gender equality in some form (though obvious not in terms of pay)

I do not believe the majority of supporters of our club have the emotional maturity to embrace this concept, or even be neutral to it. The only AFL clubs I'd have behind us in line to add such a team would be those with players who do things like threaten to stab women in the face with chopsticks.

The mooted scenario is 6 teams - 4 from Victoria and 2 from elsewhere. 1 of which is apparently a QLD based team. So you'd think that the other team will be from NSW to drive up viewership numbers for sponsors and to decrease operating costs in terms of flights etc. Especially when you consider that in the formative years it won't be making any money if at all.

Of course, you put the effort in and launch a competitive bid, but there's no way the AFL will pick SA as a test market. We just don't have the population to sustain a prototype league. It makes zero commercial and financial sense.

Yep my first thought was that Sydney was a lock. The WA teams are out due to distance, so it would be down to SA or QLD for the last spot.

I'd say it's even money. Where was it stated that QLD will get a team?

I have no interest whatsoever to there being a national womens comp. I'd rather the AFL money be pumped into junior development or second tier male AND female competitions. Surely the need for a national competition is built on the growth and success of state league comps - so get them right first so the standard can improve. As such build up the state league competitions first

I watch sport for the standard of the game, not the gender, and the womens game (if those exhibition game are anything to go by) a long way of top level ammo comps.

Based on all of this, I cant see the competition being self sufficient - and as such becomes a drain on resources. Im more than happy for Port to be pipped at the post on this one.

Would be a bold move to put 2 women's teams in RL markets. AFL cops enough flack for being 'soft' in the Northern states.

On the it could make Australian Rules more attractive to the soccer mums and end up a long term win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows will get more women customers out of this and sponsorship dollars. I think Port needs to get it so we can get more members and sponsorship dollars. I don't want us to be the second club in again left with slim pickings as to who is left to play for us and sponsor us. Crows getting first bite of the sponsorship dollar in SA hurt us last time, Come on Port!!!!

Yep my first thought was that Sydney was a lock. The WA teams are out due to distance, so it would be down to SA or QLD for the last spot.

I'd say it's even money. Where was it stated that QLD will get a team?

It's just from posts I've read in the thread about this on the women's football forum of this site. It also follows the original VFL expansion model and avoids any partisan s**t fight that would occur if one team from WA or SA got in first over the other.

The AFL isn't going to be stupid enough to let Port or Adelaide claim dominance over the other team at a time when both sides are tracking nicely. I'm all for presenting the best case, but I think it's time to start investing in a women's team in the local league so the transition is seamless when we finally do get in.

I do not believe the majority of supporters of our club have the emotional maturity to embrace this concept, or even be neutral to it. The only AFL clubs I'd have behind us in line to add such a team would be those with players who do things like threaten to stab women in the face with chopsticks.
If the posters on this board are any indication then it's around 70% support, 15% neutral, 15% against. The Facebook fans are probably the reverse, but they are the least representative of any group. Given our supporter base would be somewhere between 40 and 50% female, the likely support of the general fan base is likely 60-70% support, 20-25% neutral, 5-10% 'women to the kitchen, why don't the players have beers and ciggies at half time still' loudmouths.

Yeah but how conditional is that support, Andre?

There's a big difference between "Yes lets have a women's team around the place somewhere" and "Lets have a women's team and give them pretty similar status to the AFL team in terms of how much they're part of the club".

Thats the thing Melbourne are doing right with this, its more than just farming out a brand like the Carlton & Collingwood soccer teams back in the day.

As Tim Ginever says, when you put on the jumper, as long as your bum points to China you're a Port Adelaide player. And being a Port Adelaide player means you get the support necessary to win premierships and become part of the fabric of the club. No matter your race, religion, gender or sexual preference.

I don't want to see a female team that is just included as a marketing demographic to gain more sponsorship dollars or fans. We do it right, and we do it to win. Imagine how great it would be to do the treble - AFL, AWFL and SANFL (reserves) premierships in the same year?

There's a big difference between "Yes lets have a women's team around the place somewhere" and "Lets have a women's team and give them pretty similar status to the AFL team in terms of how much they're part of the club".

Thats the thing Melbourne are doing right with this, its more than just farming out a brand like the Carlton & Collingwood soccer teams back in the day.

The Melbourne model would probably be an AFL directive for any club participating in the Womens league.

It'll prove to be the most effective way of garnering interest and after the initial outrage from the fringe things will settle as they always do. I'm not sure that our club's members will be any more or less supportive than others. In fact I'd imagine that all clubs will have their fair share of fist-shaking teeth gnashers and champions for the cause.

My take on how it should be is the AFL is the primary team, with the women's team being similar to the Magpies. A clear and important part of the club, but the AFL is the highest level of competition and hence would always take priority. No different to if there's a Women's only club with A, B and C divisions, then the A takes priority over the B and C. So if it's done, like Janus I don't want it as a bolt on token measure, but like most of us would rather 1 AFL premiership in 2016 then winning every SANFL flag from 2016 - 2050, the AFL side winning premierships comes first, but short of interfering with that, full integration into the club like the Magpies would be fine.

This is the front page of the Melbourne Demons iphone app:

161iyki.png

There is no single online presence of Port Adelaide fans that would not become the most pathetic whineboys if the women's team captain & Power captain were the club's public reps (What about the Magpies waaah). Bigfooty in particular is a cesspool of `what the **** did I just read' when it comes to women's anything (just look earlier in this thread for a taste of it).

A women's team is a great idea for Port Adelaide; it fits with the club being a pioneer, wanting to compete in the best competitions in the land. Its a forward thinking move and a pretty decent commitment towards gender equality in some form (though obvious not in terms of pay)

Hmm there's plenty of mouthbreathers that call themselves Port fans, but that's just indicative of the general population. Kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

On the whole, hugely supportive of the growth of womens football. Great way for the game and indeed individual clubs to embrace another market, building connections with more and more people. It's going to happen and I hope the club is at the forefront driving it.

You reckon? I think we actually have a pretty good case study where this is not the case with the Magpies. Opened the clubs website on Sunday morning to check who won the B&F and the lead story on the rotating feed was Steve Summerton with Robbie coming in second. Whilst the Magpies rightfully take second priority to the Power in terms of football decisions, they are heavily promoted by the clubs media team online.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back