AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the blokes get blow dryers & hair straighteners?

Clearly:

6911ca0ea7f12f6aaa182b4d459e161a

Port Adelaide Football Club expands to AFLW for the first time with women leading its management team

I am actually quite proud of the club going with female leadership for our AFLW team. I cringe a bit when I see blokes coaching female teams.

Port Adelaide Football Club expands to AFLW for the first time with women leading its management team

I am actually quite proud of the club going with female leadership for our AFLW team. I cringe a bit when I see blokes coaching female teams.

Could make us a destination club if it works out well.

Michael Prior at the Eagles coming out with 'I think we've got enough of this Pride stuff already' apparently oblivious to probably 90% of his team (and every other AFLW team) being gay. Great way to rally the troops that was.

According to Jane Doyle on 7 we have had our last training session before our AF W debut.

I like it - Australian Football Women's debut.

You really have to hand it to the AFL.

Four new teams in the AFLW - Port, Sydney, Hawthorn and Essendon.

Three of the four get to play their first game in their home state, two play each other so one is guaranteed a first up win.

Which team is the odd one out?

You really have to hand it to the AFL.

Four new teams in the AFLW - Port, Sydney, Hawthorn and Essendon.

Three of the four get to play their first game in their home state, two play each other so one is guaranteed a first up win.

Which team is the odd one out?
The team who's home ground wouldn't be ready?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a look at how area under the Fos Williams Family stand has been transformed from the old Magpies home to the AFLW players home area.

Well done Port supporters!

Top for average crowds this AFLW season (including Showdown)

Alberton Oval the best attended ground that held 2 or more matches (ie. not the Showdown, Marvel or MCG curtainraiser games)

Slightly exaggerated numbers for Alberton re capacity % The_Wookie. The Rd 2 game the capacity was 6,500. (Rd 6 was at AO as per your data), which was at 80% capacity with 5,367 and Rd 8 and 10 was definitely 3,500 as construction had started.

I'm not sure if Rd 4 game capacity was officially 6,500 or 3,500, crowd was 2,741. They definitely blocked off part of the ground that was used by spectators in the Rd 2 game vs the Bulldogs but they didn't announce any reduction until after the Rd 6 showdown game.

Further to my comments in the Essendon game day thread at the following post and the 4 new expansion teams and some of their history,

the 2 teams that didn't have team in a local league that debuted this year finished bottom 2 and the 2 Vic teams that debuted who had teams in the 12 team VFLW for several years and both did well in 2022 - Essendon minor premiers and won flag and Hawks 2nd but lost SF - did better than Port and Sydney, Essendon winning 4 games and Hawks didn't do as well, winning 3 games.

Having Madi Presparkis was also a big plus for Essendon. She won the equivalent of the brownlow in her 2nd year in 2020 when she was only 19. Now at 21 she produced similar output to what Erin did for the crows in 2017 for Essendon this year.

The money the AFL started pumping into Qld since the 2007 TV deal started, via AFLQ, seems to be paying off with the GC team being the best team outside the 8 with Brisbane the best team inside the 8. The_Wookie has been putting up participation numbers around Oz for over a decade and I noticed early on how big the female numbers were in Queensland at the start of the teens.

Gold Coast did scrape into the finals in their first year when you had two poorly balanced conferences but were smashed by Freo in the EF. Brisbane also made finals in 2020 and lost the EF. So they were the first state outside Victoria to have two teams in a finals series. But they had a poor 2021 losing all 9 games to win the wooden spoon and finished 10th in 2022 (part 1).

I have a 2006 WAFC Annual report and there was almost a full page in there about female footy and their development programs and leagues. There was nothing in the SANFL Annual report about female footy in SA, until about 2015

In 2015 when a national comp was first mentioned, Victoria dominated Div 1 of the national championships, WA occasionally pushed them but there was a decent gap, Queensland were a close 3rd behind WA, reflective of the AFL monies put into Qld and NSW were a distant 4th but the monies put into NSW footy development had started making an impact.

In Div 2 SA was the strongest side but didn't always win the division, with Tassie and NT pushing them and ACT a distant 4th.

I'm not sure what has happened to WA women's footy as in those 3 or 4 years of exhibition games between "Melbourne v Bulldogs" games which was basically the best players from around Oz put into 2 teams there were a lot of WA players. The best of them being Chelsea Randall, who ended up at the crows rather than Freo as she was living in country WA, 13 hour drive from Perth in Newman and she put herself up as a marquee player and was prepared to play anywhere, but crows got in first.

Freo did start slowly then had 4 good years, in 2019 made finals, in 2020 probably were favourites to win the flag when covid cancelled the season after first week of finals were played and won, and they were undefeated, 2021 they lost week 1 of the finals and 2022 they lost the PF to Adelaide. I don't know if losing Gemma Houghton was the main reason for their drop off, but WCE have been very disappointing. They finished last in conference B in 2020 and had 2nd worst record, 12th of 14th in 2021, and took the wooden spoon in first part of 2022.

1667184252854.png

Slightly exaggerated numbers for Alberton re capacity % The_Wookie. The Rd 2 game the capacity was 6,500. (Rd 6 was at AO as per your data), which was at 80% capacity with 5,367 and Rd 8 and 10 was definitely 3,500 as construction had started.

I'm not sure if Rd 4 game capacity was officially 6,500 or 3,500, crowd was 2,741. They definitely blocked off part of the ground that was used by spectators in the Rd 2 game vs the Bulldogs but they didn't announce any reduction until after the Rd 6 showdown game.

yeah i remembered after i posted last night. Caoacity wasnt reduced until Round 8

CodeRoundHomeAwayVenueAttendanceCapacity%cap
AFLW2Port AdelaideWestern BulldogsAlberton Oval5,3676,50083%
AFLW4Port AdelaideSydneyAlberton Oval2,7416,50042%
AFLW6Port AdelaideAdelaideAdelaide Oval20,65253,50039%
AFLW8Port AdelaideNorth MelbourneAlberton Oval2,8183,50081%
AFLW10Port AdelaideEssendonAlberton Oval2,0963,50060%
Total33,67473,50046%
Average6734.8
Alberton Oval Total13,02220,00065%
Alberton Oval Ave3,2565,00065%

Didnt come into the season with much expectation but pretty disappointing first season to be honest. Been competative in a few games but lacked fitness, skill and decision making at critical points during games. Convert the draw & win the close ones would have turned a poor season into a great one. I am not expecting much next season either unless we cycle through more youth that at least have the basic skills in check, then we can aim for the midpack. We are few years away from threatening finals though.

Christ was there a Crows meltdown in response to Koch reposting the crowd info.

I like the guy that went through these mental gymnastics:

"If I remove your highest attended game, The Showdown, because it was majority Crows supporters, average the rest of your games, and then add that average in place of the showdown crowd, you only have an average of 3255"

Then went on to post that the Crows crowd average was 2575.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back