Game Day Port Adelaide Fist Flotilla vs. The Adelaide Rory-Riley-Quadrumvirate @ Port Pirie

Who Wins?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

See, even that I see as underrating him. If we can get 2017 model Mayes he'll be an absolute walk-up start for us, especially given our deficiency in outside players. As it stands he has better exposed form in a wing role than anyone else on our list bar maybe Motlop. He doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the likes of Sam Gray as a depth player.
Yep, if Mayes is over his personal issues and can find the form that sees him playing to his potential - then he is in our best-22 for sure!

I don't 100% disagree with you. Gegenpressing is a viable strategy and if it works in Australian Football, then it certainly would be revolutionary. I just think that you are ignoring some of the variables with transitioning that tactic from soccer to football.

For example, imagine we are playing soccer when Lynch received that ball into the 50. Firstly, the space between Lynch and Houston wouldn't be an issue. Lynch needs time to control and turn to attack the goal, which he cannot do with Houston nearby. Secondly, if we're playing soccer, Boak has cut off the Crouch pass by being in the position he is in. Lynch would need to control and play the ball through two players to allow Crouch into the game. Thirdly, if Houston was closer to Lynch, and managed to tackle, the ball spills to Boak who can counter. Sounds perfect to me!

The only problem is that we aren't playing soccer. Lynch can cleanly dispose of the ball because he picks it up with seperation from Houston. In soccer, not an issue, but footy players need less space to operate effectively in. As long as your hands are free you can get an effective disposal off. The fact that Lynch has other methods of disposal than to play the ball with his feet he can thread the ball through the gap to Crouch for a shot on goal. Sure, if Houston was closer he could have tackled him, but if he did and the ball didn't spill loose and it's a stoppage then our chance to counter is gone.

We can't ignore these variables, and if we do, we leave ourselves open to losing game after game and blaming the players instead of a flawed system. Hmmm... Sounds like what we've been hearing from the club the last couple of years...

Also...

Don't use this as your opening remark if you're trying to convince someone of your position. It comes off as a bit, dare I say, disrespectful. I'd also try to begin my persuasive writing with an opening statement that can't be easily countered by utilising its inverse.

Mate, you've never seen it attempted. You're just assuming it will work based on your own biases.

Don't do that.

I’ve been consistent in how I want us to play defensively for a very long time. I’ve been speaking about playing a gegenpress combined with optional zonal marking for years, because I’ve been of the opinion that is where we have been headed since the beginning of 2016. April 2016, in fact. So that’s almost 3 years ago. Not sure where you were at the time.

I make no guarantees it will work, I just want to see it attempted. But saying it won’t work based on one example on a 40 degree day in the first hitout of the season - a trial game no less - is ridiculous.

If it doesn’t work, I’m not going to blame the players. I’ll put my hand up and say I know nothing about tactics and bow to the superior knowledge of whoever says it won’t work.

But I believe in my club and the players representing it to make it work.

P.S. If Lynch was playing soccer he would have looked to his left and flicked the ball straight to Crouch without having to trap the ball. Crouch would have been onto it in a second. Maybe if we were playing park soccer it would be a different story, but any decent player in the Premier League would have played a through ball to Crouch in that situation much faster than what Lynch executed his handball.

And that’s the only reason why it can work in football - the fact that it takes time to gather the ball from the ground and it takes time to transition from gathering the ball to executing a disposal.

Once the opposition has control, there’s no point trying to press because that’s when the speed of handball will cut you up. But that’s not what a gegenpress is about anyway - it’s when the ball is that transition phase when no one has control of it.

Mayes had personal issues?? I must admit, Mayes is such an unknown to me that I haven't been all that much concerned about him. I guess I felt he was expensive at the trade table but that really was more about moving from 6 to 5 to land a hot prospect. So really, anything productive that he does on field is a win I reckon.

Yep, if Mayes is over his personal issues and can find the form that sees him playing to his potential - then he is in our best-22 for sure!

I thought he was just down on form? What was he dealing with, homesickness or something?

Mayes had personal issues?? I must admit, Mayes is such an unknown to me that I haven't been all that much concerned about him. I guess I felt he was expensive at the trade table but that really was more about moving from 6 to 5 to land a hot prospect. So really, anything productive that he does on field is a win I reckon.
I thought he was just down on form? What was he dealing with, homesickness or something?
Something like that. I think I heard he was keen to come home for having personal issues so hopefully if they are resolved we will see he best of him ( a bit like Polly when he came back)
On a similar subject, hopefully Rocky is ok since breaking up with his partner, as they have ta child.

From an inteview with Mayes after his trade to Port.

How strong was that desire to return home? You mentioned that you let them know relatively early on, how early was that?

I started to get quite frustrated midway through the year. I was playing in the reserves and the coaches obviously didn’t think I was playing well enough to go back up to the senior side but I felt like I was going OK. I returned to the side for a couple of games, including my 100th game, and was dropped for a second time after playing what I thought was a reasonable game. After that I was travelling emergency, we had byes and then I was an emergency again. There was a period where I hadn’t played football for three weeks and I wasn’t injured, I just wasn’t playing. It just never eventuated that I would get back into the senior side. I had a few personal off-field things going on as well from the beginning of the year that was a bit of a lure as well. These things probably affected my footy a bit more than I first anticipated, not that it is an excuse or anything, but when your mental state isn’t 100 per cent it is a bit hard to physically perform which has become a lot more common. Mental health has been a big discussion topic these days, which is good. As the season went on I started to have a bit more of a pullback to home.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/qa-sam-mayes/

What the **** is with the Mayes hate? Guy has been here 5 minutes and been serviceable in all his outings.
Yeah I'm pretty excited about Mayes. He is going to be a solid best 22 wingman. Something we desperately need.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I’m lumping him in as a depth player only because I’m playing Westhoff and Watts as wingers with Motlop coming off the bench.

It’s not underrating him, it’s just saying there are players who I rate higher in the role he can play, or players that I want to get games into like Butters.

I expect him to play games this year though.
The term wingers grates me so much.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This Q&A might help get you up to speed ....
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/qa-sam-mayes/

"I had a few personal off-field things going on as well from the beginning of the year that was a bit of a lure as well. These things probably affected my footy a bit more than I first anticipated, not that it is an excuse or anything, but when your mental state isn’t 100 per cent it is a bit hard to physically perform which has become a lot more common. Mental health has been a big discussion topic these days, which is good. As the season went on I started to have a bit more of a pullback to home."

I make no guarantees it will work, I just want to see it attempted. But saying it won’t work based on one example on a 40 degree day in the first hitout of the season - a trial game no less - is ridiculous.

We've been defending this way for a while. I have 2 years of evidence to back up my thoughts on this.

Sounds like we might need to agree to disagree.

We've been defending this way for a while. I have 2 years of evidence to back up my thoughts on this.

Sounds like we might need to agree to disagree.

In the forward 50, sure. I’m talking about over the entire field. And we haven’t put in the effort required for two years. The closest I’ve seen it was in 2016 against the Dogs at home. That was when I was sure it would work.

That’s why bringing in guys like Butters and Rozee who have that closing speed is so important. Rozee had the highest amount of pressure acts in this game.

I’ve been on this train for years. It’s time to pay the piper.

My initial impressions of Mayes leads me to believe he will become a nothing type of footballer, he on the list but does very little. In the same mold as j Watts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boak back in the middle is righting one of the stupidest wrongs we've had.

When we were known for coming back and pinching games late, a huge part of that was Boak running the show at stoppages at clutch moments.

I attributed our 4th qtr come backs to the injection of Robbie gray into the centre. At the time we were playing him forward then unleashing a fresh Robbie late. In either case I never bought the running over the top because we were fitter line. We were running over the top because we were dominating stoppages and contested ball in the 4th qtr which allowed our players to run forward like they did.

If Mayes plays a lot of games in 2019 we are in trouble. I just dont get why we drafted him. Can anyone explain role except as a depth player (perhaps)?

Even if he is depth he is handy depth to have.

As a hbf I find him average but we definitely need a wingman and he has some skills in that area. I also love him forward as he shone there as a junior. He is the same age as wines so still young, still time to improve and he is an upgrade on some players that have graced our 22 repeatedly in the past few years. Wage and trade wise he was relatively cheap.

Back