AFLW Port Adelaide vs North Melbourne - Round 8 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

North were fitter and ran the game out better than we did. It is understandable as North had been training together since early 2022 whereas our list was only put together in June. The next 12 months will add experience and fitness and we should benefit.

I also like the last touch rule and I think if it is going to be used it should be expanded be across the whole field, not just between the arcs. I can kind of understand why they don't have it between the arcs in AFLW as it would heavily penalise poor skills... but I think that is actually fine. A player should be penalised for poor skill execution. I'd be happy to see it in the AFL. It would remove most of the ambiguity around bullshit 'insufficient intent' free kicks.

One bug bear I have with it though, particularly in its implementation in the SANFL, is that they just stopped paying deliberate out of bounds as a free kick. A player doesn't need to kick or handball the ball across the line for it to be deliberate act. There are some blatant examples in the SANFL of players walking the ball across the line or tapping it over and not getting pinged. That sort of stuff should still be penalised.

Was a good effort until 3QT but it's all collapsing now. Would've been interesting to see what path the game took if Mules kicked that goal at the start of the quarter.
Can't question the effort. Some of Levicki's ball handling errors were costly . I know what if ,if,if , but , if Mules kicks that Goal and Brit Perry grabs and Goals , as she should have the end result may have been different . I just wonder , is it Coaching or Player awareness/experience , when there was a turnover they had loose players everywhere , in the Middle on the Wings and Flanks , especially on the other side of the ground so to speak . Looked like to many Players going to far forward or drawn over the other side of the ground , many 30-40 meters from their Player , either that or they dont run back hard enough when theres a turnover .

The lsst touch rule is the single worst rule change in the history of the game.
It's bastardised and compromised the integrity of fundamental skills of the game - such as boundary line ruckwork.
Players get undeserved cheap frees for not attempting to win the ball near the sideline and watching an oppo kick or handball roll over.
Get rid of it and fire it into the sun.

It's bastardised and compromised the integrity of fundamental skills of the game - such as boundary line ruckwork.
Players get undeserved cheap frees for not attempting to win the ball near the sideline and watching an oppo kick or handball roll over.
As a card holding member of the dinosaur ruckman's association, I wholeheartedly endorse this contribution, and wish to subscribe to your publication.

Yep, it's something unique in our game and people just want to keep changing the rules until it looks like a game of basketball.

After watching our side this year and watching some of the top sides in the AFLW the gap is enormous, can never question the commitment but the skill level, movement of the ball and fitness is miles off it.
Hopefully with a full pre season and a bit more experience in the side they will improve next season.

After watching our side this year and watching some of the top sides in the AFLW the gap is enormous, can never question the commitment but the skill level, movement of the ball and fitness is miles off it.
Hopefully with a full pre season and a bit more experience in the side they will improve next season.
Agree . I think we will find that at Seasons end 6-8 Players will be let go , as happens to most new Teams We only had short notice to prepare for this , 6 months i believe ? . The SANFL not allowing us to field a side , as we proposed and were in the planning stages of setting up under Emma Sampson at the time , in thier Comp. has shown to have hindered greatly our preperations in getting ready to field a side in the AFLW in my opinion

Great effort, I'm pretty sure that was our best game of the season. Incredible the difference Houghton makes to the way we go forward, we really don't have another player anything like her. If Arnell's any good she'll have a lot of good teaching moments from that game in the review, because their setup was so much better than ours, it seemed like every other time they came out of defence they had a midfielder all on her own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like last touch, I actually enjoy the art of ruckwork and don't want less of it in the mens game.
X2. Last touch rule works in the Women's game, but I can not stand it in the SANFL. It's a ridiculous game changing rule.

The AFLW interpretation with between the arcs, is far better than the SANFLs however I would still hate to see it in the AFL.

I have to admit to not being a regular watcher of the ladies' version of the game, but in what I have seen the Power girls regularly work their behinds off to get the ball into their fwd 50, and then try very hard to keep it there, but too often there is a quick outlet kick by the oppo to any number of free options in the centre, or on the wing who have no Port player in the same post code and the end result is often a goal.

I have read a number of comments about there being too many `see ball, get ball' players in the current Port team, but it looks more like they are see ball, chase ball (ala a lot of kids' footy) to me, and that is one of the major reasons why so many opponents end up in too much space.

It's obviously early days yet, and you can't knock their endeavour, but to be more successful in the coming seasons the players need to learn and/or be coached to protect that space.

Last edited:
Really need to find a couple of genuinely tall options forward and back and one in ruck.

The team's workrate is terrifically high, but for little scoreboard reward. Too often we dump it inside 50 to an uncontested mark or a mismatch.

The team is visibly worn out in its first season and their high intensity gameplan. They are down to about 1 quarter of highly competitive footy and then it's just hanging on.

It's great to be in the comp and it has opened up a whole new support stream. The effort is unquestionable, and we appreciate the difficulties in setting up a whole new team in such a short time frame. But the results need to come in coming seasons to keep people hooked.

Really need to find a couple of genuinely tall options forward and back and one in ruck.

The team's workrate is terrifically high, but for little scoreboard reward. Too often we dump it inside 50 to an uncontested mark or a mismatch.

The team is visibly worn out in its first season and their high intensity gameplan. They are down to about 1 quarter of highly competitive footy and then it's just hanging on.

It's great to be in the comp and it has opened up a whole new support stream. The effort is unquestionable, and we appreciate the difficulties in setting up a whole new team in such a short time frame. But the results need to come in coming seasons to keep people hooked.
We have missed Liz McGrath in the ruck. She played the first 3 games then got injured. Levicki has done a good job in the ruck at hitouts but has no real presence around the ground as is a big tall string been type ruck where as McGrath has a big body and uses it around the ground well.

Her and Houghton out of the side together between rds 4 and 7 meant we had little physical presence around the ground.

I think the lady in blue gargles razor blades...

Sharni Layton was a footy convert at 30 for a couple years with Collingwood after a dozen years or so playing national league netball, played for the Adelaide Thunderbirds for a few years, won a premiership, for about 8 of those years played for the Diamonds and was captain when just before she retired from netball.

She went from Collingwood Magpies Goal Defence/ Goal Keeper player in the Suncorp Super Netball team to ruck for Collingwood AFLW team and played about 20 games for them. Think she is 190cms.

She has always had that deep gravelly - loud - voice.

Finally got a chance to watch this.

Thought it was a very good effort against a top side, you could tell Houghton gave us a bit of hope even when she didn't touch it.

Ewings has obviously been moved in to more of an outside role, and it suits the side well with Yorston, Moloney and Surman all inside players without Hannah's weapons.

Johnson showed some good signs, and Halfpenny took a big step forward.

Just need to win against the Bombers and this season probably still gets a pass mark despite the win/loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back