AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Cue Jaws music...

Clubs cut football departments as doubt grows over coaches’ future
Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun
May 14, 2020 8:42pm

Clubs were tonight finalising their new-look football departments, with a host of coaches and staff told they were no longer required as brutal AFL-imposed cost cuts came to a head.

The hard conversations with club staff this week came after the AFL mandated on Tuesday that only 25 football department staff would be allowed to attend games when the season resumes.

Cuts of up to 40 per cent in football departments could remain next year, placing the futures of up to 60 coaches in doubt.

AFL Coaches’ Association chief executive Mark Brayshaw said while the cuts had been expected for some time, it had been a dark week for football’s coaching fraternity.

“The clubs have responded to the advice from the league about the headcount restrictions in footy departments when we reconvene and sadly that has meant several coaches and other people in footy departments have been let go,” Brayshaw told the Herald Sun.

“It’s sobering. People have been thinking this day would come for months but here it is, so it’s been a tough week.”

The majority of whom would be Adelaide Oval and club members.

They think that Adelaide Oval members will turn up to watch SANFL games and bump up that crowd number. Probably also looking to do this as a justification for not having to refund Adelaide Oval that aren't getting any events to attend.
Have to be honest, I'd be highly likely to head to a game.

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
5AA this morning were ripping into Eddie Mcguire, because apparently yesterday on his MMM breakfast show he was taking pot shots at our state which they summarized as basically "what I hate about South Australia".
Had a listen to what was up from yesterday, the 92minute show, and didn't hear a thing like what was described or insinuated.

They talked quite a bit about SA and the decision to not allow FIFO for the AFL, they had a sound bite of our chief health officer, and actually praised medical professionals efforts. They were more focused on our clubs not being able to do full contact training till 8th June.

Is there a sound bite I missed??

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That SAPOL Exemption's just as mythical as Kochies GC China Jumper Contract

SA media "They had a exemption"

Every other state in Australia - "they simply broke quarantine laws"

AHPP The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee clearly stated "AFL footballers don't understand quarantine" anyone is kidding themselves if the crows ''hiccup" didn't rubber stamp this hard border decision.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
Screenshot_20200515-172057_Facebook.jpg

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
With the WA and SA clubs relocating to hubs on the Gold Coast for up to a month, Dwayne Russell believes this gives Brisbane a major fixture advantage. It means the Lions won’t travel to Perth or Adelaide this season and will play West Coast, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Adelaide in Queensland at either the Gabba or Metricon Stadium. “The Brisbane Lions now have five home games in a row in essence, the way this is probably going to pan out. “The Brisbane Lions might end up playing a few of these teams at Metricon Stadium but they've got as their next five games: Gold Coast, West Coast, Fremantle, the Crows and Port Adelaide all in Queensland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Brock McLean has opened up about his mental health battle which resulted in a suicide attempt and bipolar diagnosis in 2019

“My self-worth was tied to what I was doing, and when I was a footballer, I had a high self-worth,” the 34-year-old said.

“So when I finished footy, I was at the bottom rung, and it got to the point in my life where I was like, ‘I can’t do this any more,’ and I tried to kill myself.

After his suicide attempt, McLean resorted to alcohol to combat his mental illness, which inevitably escalated his erratic behaviour.

McLean also suffered from bulimia towards the end of his career, and outlined his “regimented” dietary habits on the Sacked podcast.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Listening to the MMM commentary of the 2004 GF. Sam Newman's commentary is the most petulant, childish over the top barracking for Brisbane disinterested repetitively negative turgid s**t you've ever heard. Truly rotten.
Could never seriously understand why anyone ever watched the footy show.
Hard to find a better line up of flogs on tv.

Papa G

Hall of Famer
Suspended
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Could never seriously understand why anyone ever watched the footy show.
Hard to find a better line up of flogs on tv.

Yeah the Footy Show became a parody of itself, but Newman's "special comments" of this game are simply ridiculous. It's like he woke up on Grand Final morning just said * this! Maybe because it was the first GF with no Vic side in it, i dunno, but his attitude for the whole game was diinterest, negatively and disgust. The fact Brisbane didnt back up his prediction that theyd run away with it seemed to amp his negativity. The other commentators called it for what it was, a hard and absorbing game, Newman just bagged it. Even Dunstall was getting pissed off with him. At one point you hear Newman yawn. Completely unprofessional and petulant.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

Brock McLean has opened up about his mental health battle which resulted in a suicide attempt and bipolar diagnosis in 2019

“My self-worth was tied to what I was doing, and when I was a footballer, I had a high self-worth,” the 34-year-old said.

“So when I finished footy, I was at the bottom rung, and it got to the point in my life where I was like, ‘I can’t do this any more,’ and I tried to kill myself.

After his suicide attempt, McLean resorted to alcohol to combat his mental illness, which inevitably escalated his erratic behaviour.

McLean also suffered from bulimia towards the end of his career, and outlined his “regimented” dietary habits on the Sacked podcast.

Isn't he the fella who spilt the beans on the Melbourne-not-guilty-of-tanking scandal?

Papa G

Hall of Famer
Suspended
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back