Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting the feeling that Brisbane are about to go full Port Adelaide 2015.
Not that I don't think Ryder had plenty to offer, but they appear to have given a godfather contract to the missing piece, who probably isn't the missing piece.
Ryder was never the missing piece. That was just dumb media talk. The missing piece was more likely to be a KPF who could have kicked 60-80 goals and could have rucked a bit, not a ruck who averaged 1 goal a game.

Last edited:
Joe Daniher = Cam McCarthy/Jesse Hogan/Josh Schache

Ryder was never the missing piece. That was just dumb media talk. The missing piece was more likely to be a KPF who could have kicked 60-80 goals and could have rucked it a bit, not a ruck who averaged 1 goal a game.

That's what I'm saying.

Do you think Daniher is exactly what Brisbane need?

That's what I'm saying.

Do you think Daniher is exactly what Brisbane need?
Exactly - no. But if he can kick 60 goals next year he could go close to being so. But I doubt he ever achieves that.

He'd win the Coleman by 20 goals.
If we get back to a 22 game season and play a couple of finals, 60 goals is what the top KPF's should be kicking.

How the hell do you pay Danniher $800,000 a year? He was never that good and is now constantly injured. Bizarre offer.
Since Brisbane is now a major challenger to us for a flag this is a good thing. If he can chew a large hole in their cap from the side lines, they won't be chasing so many players that will make a difference, or holding all their talented younger ones.

Ryder was never the missing piece. That was just dumb media talk. The missing piece was more likely to be a KPF who could have kicked 60-80 goals and could have rucked it a bit, not a ruck who averaged 1 goal a game.

TBF we probably win the premiership in 2014 with Ryder as the first ruck instead of Lobbe. Just a better player period.

Probably 2 conferences North and South to save some travelling costs. Play those in your conference once and 6 games against teams from other conference.

North
Brisbane, GC, Aspley, Southport, Sydney, GWS + 5 of wealthier AFL clubs' B grade teams (head back to the hubs)

South
Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Werribee, Williamstown, Sandringham (St Kilda), Box Hill (Hawthorn), Casey (Melbourne), Northern Bullants + 2 of poorer AFL clubs' B grade teams - my guess North and Footscray

That means South conference would play 10 other vic based sides, the 5 Vic sides in the North conference and VFL clubs have to only cough up $$ for 1 interstate trip.
What a North and South conference might look like with trying to minimize travel especially for non AFL sides. The 4 northern state sides would travel down as a full squad and play the B grade game before or after the A grade. The AFL would have to fund the travel costs for the VFL sides and Aspley and Southport.

1604116961929.png

What a North and South conference might look like with trying to minimize travel especially for non AFL sides. The 4 northern state sides would travel down as a full squad and play the B grade game before or after the A grade. The AFL would have to fund the travel costs for the VFL sides and Aspley and Southport.

View attachment 999575

This was on the horizon a couple of years ago, an afl reserves competition involving/absorbing stand alone clubs, but I was expecting pocket leagues rather than this one big league.

These are not questions for you or anybody to answer but merely the questions that are running through my mind. I wonder if these league clubs in this new afl league will be financially better off and able to pick off better players from the sanfl? Will their salary cap be more competitive than the sanfl clubs? If this big league becomes financially stronger than the sanfl then will the afl eventually dangle the invitation to 'some' sanfl clubs and cause the sanfl clubs to desperately fight amongst themselves to join this league? Or will the sanfl just continue as is?

Outside of this, are the sanfl club's salary cap impeded by Covid to the point whereby the standard of their league teams drop in comparison to the strength of the teams fielded by the crows and Port?

PS: Interesting is the story of Southport Magpies to Southport Sharks regarding jumper and nickname.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was on the horizon a couple of years ago, an afl reserves competition involving/absorbing stand alone clubs, but I was expecting pocket leagues rather than this one big league.

These are not questions for you or anybody to answer but merely the questions that are running through my mind. I wonder if these league clubs in this new afl league will be financially better off and able to pick off better players from the sanfl? Will their salary cap be more competitive than the sanfl clubs? If this big league becomes financially stronger than the sanfl then will the afl eventually dangle the invitation to 'some' sanfl clubs and cause the sanfl clubs to desperately fight amongst themselves to join this league? Or will the sanfl just continue as is?

Outside of this, are the sanfl club's salary cap impeded by Covid to the point whereby the standard of their league teams drop in comparison to the strength of the teams fielded by the crows and Port?

PS: Interesting is the story of Southport Magpies to Southport Sharks regarding jumper and nickname.
Port and the crows could easily replace Aspley and Southport in the 22 team comp.

Dennis Pagan's horse just won the Vic derby. He also trained the horse after just being granted a trainer's licence. Not your typical career path to becoming a horse trainer

Only 6 months as a trainer! Pagan's Paddock takes on a whole new meaning. ;)

I think I heard/read that the salary cap will be $200k, which is slightly less than the SANFL next year, and that the AFL will foot the travel/accommodation costs.

Dennis Pagan's horse just won the Vic derby. He also trained the horse after just being granted a trainer's licence. Not your typical career path to becoming a horse trainer

I assume his son was the jockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back