Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing in the parklands.
That seals it then........
Crows to use the Adelaide Oval precinct as HQ. No new buildings. Just use existing corporate facilities.

Could well be an option but doesn't help with Cricket overlap etc... I still think they will find something, I'm in the inn south west, I still think Showgrounds to Brewery somewhere.

They wanted public transport.

I get the Oval would be good, but I can't see that happening for them, but never say never with Olsen.

They are such an entitled bunch.

This rule is completely indefensible.
I will say it again: there’s nothing wrong with the game!

Footy is such a great game that has been able to survive all these relentless attempts to destroy it by those who should protect and promote it.

If only. I just don’t see it happening anytime soon. Hope I’m wrong.
Unfortunately once you’re in the boys club it takes more than incompetence to get the sack. Even the AG gets to keep his job...
Who among the clubs’ chairmen likes him? That’s the key question.

Who could forget THAT Dustin Martin moment from the grand final. The one where he took a set shot.

Would have been an even better moment If the man on the mark had bent down to tie his shoe and 50m was paid so that the shot was point blank. Such a dusty moment!

A snippet from yonder

‘besides if the Crows could take over Wayville Showgrounds’....

I mean just a little entitled. Why would any organisation just hand them free stuff....
Yep, it really is ‘what significant parcel of public land shall we take’.

not purchase, or lease. What land can we have - it must be given. It also must be prominent and of significant public value.

In any case - they’ll get their free land at some stage.

1614721801266.png

".... Ms Verschoor said the council was not opposed to the Crows training in the parklands, only the construction of new headquarters that had no public benefit. ...."

Weren't the Camry Crows pitching their parklands based HQ as being of huge public benefit and revitalising the CBD?

It astounds me that so many on the Crows board think that the Parklands were ever an option and feel cheated that it isn't. If they couldn't get the Aquatic Centre to work they had precisely zero chance of getting anything else to work. Large new structures just do not happen in the Parklands. The Adelaide Grand Prix/Clipsal has been going since 1985, they were never able to get a permanent Grand Stand. They actually chased Horse Racing (something that hat had been going for 150 years) out of Vic Park to bring it back to Parklands.
If it isn't there already, or you have a major tradeoff of land/buildings you already use, then it simply impossible to get anything to work. It just will not happen.
Boggles my mind how many of their supporters are hung up on a "shed" or pubic transport to the ground. Thebarton is an inner city, busy part of town. Outside the obvious worry of the SANFL controlling them again, it offers them everything they need. It's only ever going to be their Womens Oval for games, they may get to play their Reserves there, and maybe the odd trial game for the seniors. An old SANFL ground is perfect for that. I can think of 5 Pubs within walking distance of Thebarton. The Brickworks is next door which probably has about a dozen eating options. The ground is set back from South Road and won't be effected by the roadworks too heavily.

It really is a good option for them. I really don't see why they are opposed to it. The Fairytale of a gleaming Taj Mahal type structure in the Parklands withing walking distance of Adelaide Oval was never coming to fruition.

It astounds me that so many on the Crows board think that the Parklands were ever an option and feel cheated that it isn't. If they couldn't get the Aquatic Centre to work they had precisely zero chance of getting anything else to work. Large new structures just do not happen in the Parklands. The Adelaide Grand Prix/Clipsal has been going since 1985, they were never able to get a permanent Grand Stand. They actually chased Horse Racing (something that hat had been going for 150 years) out of Vic Park to bring it back to Parklands.
If it isn't there already, or you have a major tradeoff of land/buildings you already use, then it simply impossible to get anything to work. It just will not happen.
Boggles my mind how many of their supporters are hung up on a "shed" or pubic transport to the ground. Thebarton is an inner city, busy part of town. Outside the obvious worry of the SANFL controlling them again, it offers them everything they need. It's only ever going to be their Womens Oval for games, they may get to play their Reserves there, and maybe the odd trial game for the seniors. An old SANFL ground is perfect for that. I can think of 5 Pubs within walking distance of Thebarton. The Brickworks is next door which probably has about a dozen eating options. The ground is set back from South Road and won't be effected by the roadworks too heavily.

It really is a good option for them. I really don't see why they are opposed to it. The Fairytale of a gleaming Taj Mahal type structure in the Parklands withing walking distance of Adelaide Oval was never coming to fruition.
Correct.

The brazen sense of 'entitlement' from the Crows is laughable. And as if their 70yo demographic support base will waddle back to a club after games when they are due back at the nursing home before 10.30pm :cool:

Looks like a good appointment. Worrying...

You reckon? Hawthorn got rich on Tasmania and Pokie Dens as well as significant on field success. None of those things apply to the Crows. Had anybody heard of this bloke? Had any of Hawthorn's success been attributed to him? Right place right time. Everyone looks great when you are winning. He may well be good, but nothing really stands out about him. Being the head of a franchise like Adelaide, in a town like Adelaide, does have it's challenges. Hawthorn's Dingley Training Base bares no resemblance to anything the Crows are looking at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... I can think of 5 Pubs within walking distance of Thebarton. ...
How many of those pubs does the Hurley Group own though?

Edit: To answer my own question, 1, the Hotel Royal at Torrensville and that is a good walk.

Last edited:
1. The Royal on Henley Beach Road.
So not an attractive proposition for the Camry Crows as there are closer competitors' hotels.

But regardless, what supporter is going to go from Adelaide Oval to Thebarton after a game so that they can drink at a pub near Thebby Oval rather than a pub or bar near Adelaide Oval?

I have no idea how many Ports' supporters go back to Alberton Oval to drink after a game but I would imagine it would be a small number and nowhere near the number that stay in the CBD or North Adelaide to drink on after a game.

Last edited:
You reckon? Hawthorn got rich on Tasmania and Pokie Dens as well as significant on field success. None of those things apply to the Crows. Had anybody heard of this bloke? Had any of Hawthorn's success been attributed to him? Right place right time. Everyone looks great when you are winning. He may well be good, but nothing really stands out about him. Being the head of a franchise like Adelaide, in a town like Adelaide, does have it's challenges. Hawthorn's Dingley Training Base bares no resemblance to anything the Crows are looking at.
Hawthorn had almost endless cash in his time there due to 3 premierships from 4 GF's, the Tassie deal and Pokies out the wazoo. Operating under the Crows model will be much, much harder for him.
Better than Fagan and knows where Gill gets his lattes.

All you would need to be a Adelaide is good.

With all the advantages they have just not being incompetent should be enough to garner significant improvement.

All you would need to be a Adelaide is good.

With all the advantages they have just not being incompetent should be enough to garner significant improvement.
The fact that the Camry Crows aren't a financial powerhouse with all the advantages they have been gifted highlights how poorly they have been managed. Anyone can run a company that is doing well.

The fact that the Camry Crows aren't a financial powerhouse with all the advantages they have been gifted highlights how poorly they have been managed. Anyone can run a company that is doing well.
That's exactly my worry, that a CEO that is not totally incompetent should be able to monetise all those market and operational advantages.

They don't need to be a superstar CEO, just competent, which this guy looks to be.

What was he at Hawthorn, a chief financial officer? Olsen only talks about him delivering strong commercial and financial results.

I guess that is Adelaide's major KPI.

That's exactly my worry, that a CEO that is not totally incompetent should be able to monetise all those market and operational advantages.

They don't need to be a superstar CEO, just competent, which this guy looks to be.

They've squandered it, its almost too late. His first few years will be dealing with finding a new home, dealing with no success on field and tightening revenue streams as a result of the pandemic whilst their cross town rivals will (hopefully) be in for a period of sustained success. You can be 'competent' but to turn that lot around you'd need someone amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back