Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the same top 3 and order that I have right now. Don't think Melbourne or the Dogs beating Richmond would shift that either.

In fact I'd have Wet Toast over the Dees as well, and even Sydney would be at a very similar level to Melbourne. Melbourne simply haven't beaten a good, in form team yet. If they beat Richmond next week I'd move them in to fourth.
I think the important question is: can the Dees beat the top 4 sides. They should at worst make the 8 as they have a tough run home. I think as long as they have a genuine shot at winning those games, win or lose they'll be a contender.

I think the important question is: can the Dees beat the top 4 sides. They should at worst make the 8. They have a tough run home.
Bingo.

They have many questions swirling. Can they perform against top 4 sides in form? Can they perform in finals? Will they fall off (they certainly didn't put in four quarters vs the Hawks)? Until they can answer those questions convincingly I've still got them as likely in the "also ran" category. No way I'm tipping them in a big final vs the Dogs/Port/Richmond/Wet Toast.

The other one I missed actually earlier is Brisbane - I'd probably have them around the level of the Dees too even though they are 2-3 compared to 5-0.

Sydney superstar Lance Franklin is set to miss up to a month, in a major blow to his hopes of reaching the 1000-goal milestone this year - as well as the Swans’ top four chances.
However the forward suffered bone bruising during a third-quarter collision and will miss between three and four weeks.

Bingo.

They have many questions swirling. Can they perform against top 4 sides in form? Can they perform in finals? Will they fall off (they certainly didn't put in four quarters vs the Hawks)? Until they can answer those questions convincingly I've still got them as likely in the "also ran" category. No way I'm tipping them in a big final vs the Dogs/Port/Richmond/Wet Toast.

The other one I missed actually earlier is Brisbane - I'd probably have them around the level of the Dees too even though they are 2-3 compared to 5-0.
Clarko is a campaigner. He does that to fast sides, and creates a cluster * game.

As I've said before Melbourne is all mental right now. On paper they have a complete side, and it's good enough to match with the best. They've got two key forwards to take pressure off Gawn. I'm willing to say that on paper they have a top 4 side. They have some very damaging attacking players, elite level defenders, elite level mids, elite ruck, zippy small forwards.

Its supposed to be rosemary, which grows wild/naturally around Gallipoli. Lot of veterans wear a sprig of rosemary in their lapel when they march.
Rosemary as a symbol of remembrance predates Gallipoli but it does have extra significance for the ANZACs as you mention.

Rosemary as a symbol of remembrance predates Gallipoli.
I think a few diggers brought back a rosemary bush each from Gallipoli, and that is another reason why it was so widely adopted. Reckon an SA digger did it and cuttings from the bush have been sent around the state.

Mackie was a noodle-armed accoutrement who thrived in a bulldozing dynasty.

If we drafted him he’d have probably maxed out as a more consistent Cam O’Shea, while if Salopek ended up at the Cattery he probably retires with a couple of AA guernseys at a minimum. Just always seemed to cop a weird injury/illness at the worst possible time, usually when he was looking a million bucks.

Having him as a fit, healthy,
experienced 28-29yo mid in that 2013/14 side would’ve been rather handy.
As a teenager when he delisted I was filthy.

Too young.

Picked weird idols in him and Pettigrew though.

I guess thats what going to the power zone or whatever it was called at AAMI pre game does to a kid

I think a few diggers brought back a rosemary bush each from Gallipoli, and that is another reason why it was so widely adopted. Reckon an SA digger did it and cuttings from the bush have been sent around the state.
Yes, I edited my original post to acknowledge the extra significance you mentioned.

No biosecruity concerns in those days.

Did he not watch the game a fortnight ago when we beat them with nobody on the bench?
At the MCG, we aren't favourites to beat Richmond atm, and probably Dogs.

Not to worried about others.

Mackie was a noodle-armed accoutrement who thrived in a bulldozing dynasty.

If we drafted him he’d have probably maxed out as a more consistent Cam O’Shea, while if Salopek ended up at the Cattery he probably retires with a couple of AA guernseys at a minimum. Just always seemed to cop a weird injury/illness at the worst possible time, usually when he was looking a million bucks.

Having him as a fit, healthy,
experienced 28-29yo mid in that 2013/14 side would’ve been rather handy.
PhoenixPower who used to post on here, worked at the radiographers Port used at the start of the teens. He told me one of guys he worked with, showed him Salopek's shoulder x-rays a few times and the ligaments and tendons were barely attached.

He didn't know if that was genetic or all those hospital handballs his teammates used to give him, which regularly resulted in big hits on him by the oppo, caused major wear and tear.

David King - I've got Richmond , Bulldogs and then Port and Melbourne for the flag right now. I just don't trust port to beat Richmond. Then said imagine if Melbourne or the dogs beat Richmond we'll have a new favourite. 🙄

Did he not watch the game a fortnight ago when we beat them with nobody on the bench?

I'm sick of this ESPN try hard

You spend the majority of your time talking about how we'll never win a flag under Ken, now you're worried that David King doesn't have us as premiership fancies? Get a grip m8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the same way Hinkley favoured hard working short players, Choco wanted to clone the Burgoyne's around 2007.

Salopek, Lonie, Pettigrew, Thomson (I'm missing someone) were those same 184cm dasher types with outside run and a good kick.

Salopek was actually good enough to make it though.

The Bulldogs are the inform team at the moment and have the best or second best midfield only behind Richmond's.

They finally have recruited enough ruckmen, so English can play forward and makes it a hard match up against him, Naughton who is gonna be a star and good ordinary footballer type in Bruce. Recruiting Stephan Martin was a masterstroke after years of Beveridge not giving a stuff about ruckmen. And they rookied Jordan Sweet from North Adelaide and is a decent size now, at 205cm/105kg, and means when Martin doesn't play English can still play forward.

I think King is right. I am holding out hope we finish top 2, as I doubt our ability to win 2 big away finals.

My rough ratings at the moment would be Richmond #1, Dogs #2, Port #3, Geelong #4, WC #5, Bris #6, Melb #7, GWS #8, Sydney #9.

I think we can beat anyone at home, just not sure about our capacity against a couple of the top contenders away from home.

Hopped into the car this morning, pressed start and the radio comes on.

Riccuito: "kicking goals, unlike johnny butcher HAWHAWHAW"

Just what I wanted on a Monday morning. My fault for leaving it on Triple M after the footy.

I did laugh when Rory Lobb and Riley O’Brien were rucking together and the ump kept yelling out “Rory Riley”

Yes that was funny. Would’ve been funnier if he added “no Fremantle Ruck“.

Also had a chuckle at the review announcer for the first Freo goal, when they announced the ball had come off the “Fremale” players leg.

In the same way Hinkley favoured hard working short players, Choco wanted to clone the Burgoyne's around 2007.

Salopek, Lonie, Pettigrew, Thomson (I'm missing someone) were those same 184cm dasher types with outside run and a good kick.

Salopek was actually good enough to make it though.
Boak Amon Burton are pretty good upgrades on those guys

PhoenixPower who used to post on here, worked at the radiographers Port used at the start of the teens. He told me one of guys he worked with, showed him Salopek's shoulder x-rays a few times and the ligaments and tendons were barely attached.

He didn't know if that was genetic or all those hospital handballs his teammates used to give him, which regularly resulted in big hits on him by the oppo, caused major wear and tear.
I remember his shoulder would pop out just about every time he played. They tried to play him off half back to protect him but it didn’t really work.

It was pretty sad, he could have been anything :(

I don’t mind Hawthorn carrying Burgoyne to 400.

That’s one less young playing they’re developing, damaging their future even more.
Probably. But for Shaun Burgoyne to make it to 400 games is a fanstastic achievement.

Port Fans should have no animosity towards him.

I go no animosity towards Brad Hill joining the saints, despite him being on $900,000 a year for 5 or 6 years.
What the fu** is with this "huge upset of the crows" narrative? The crows are trash you ******* idiots.
It was a tight game until freo broke away in the middle of the 4th quarter. Freo have won a few games against the crows in SA, Yet have never thrashed them. Biggest ever win over them in SA is around 4 goals.
It’s weird, Freo went longer than a quarter without tripping over their own dicks and given their vastly superior midfield — Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw, Serong, Cerra — ran out comfortable winners.
Matt Taberner a difference maker with 4 goals. Daniel Talia didnt play. Then again, Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling didnt play either. Could Taberner kick 4 goal on Daniel talia had he played yesterday? Unlikely

I have always compared tabs to John Butcher. Both are similar in many ways. Both are around 197 cm. Both have similar strengths and weaknesses. Both are good at marking the ball and both are 50-50 with their set shots on goal.

Had he Hung around, Butcher could of kicked 300-350 goals from 200 games in a 10-13 year career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back