Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. I just had a quick look at Andrew Capels article on the injuries catching up with the Crows.

Very early in the piece it says that, at one point, they had 25 on the injury list.

Did that list include their eSports team.

What's that you say? Leave the game alone?

*AFL brings in 9 point zooperdooper goals and remove the ball up rule which is now replaced with the scrum*

The best questions were on the fan's profile, and even those weren't deep enough (focus on AFLW and E-Sports). The questions on the MRO and Video-Ref were absolutely useless. There were questions on rule changes (all changes bad, imho) — one specific on outruling bumping. There were also harmless questions on players and coaches, and that was all.

Last edited:
Haha. I just had a quick look at Andrew Capels article on the injuries catching up with the Crows.

Very early in the piece it says that, at one point, they had 25 on the injury list.

How big is their squad? 22 fit players and 25 injured is 47. Delusional bunch.

"The Crows have been bravely, almost heroicly, patching up wounds all season in their year of redemption."

Melbourne won contested possessions 163 to 117. No matter how much your depth is tested you expect a contest for the ball.
-46 was the differential when the crows smashed us in last year's showdown 135 v 181.

It was ridiculous, especially on stoppages. A Demon would always come into the contest, leave with the ball untackled, and handball it to an open teammate.
How many games a week are you now watching?

Or was it just a slow Saturday night there in Uruguayana and you needed a footy fix with Port having a bye?

How many games a week are you now watching?

Or was it just a slow Saturday night there in Uruguayana and you needed a footy fix with Port having a bye?

I had insomnia. I decided to watch some footy. I finally managed to sleep at 3:40am or something.

Demons did what a good side must do against bad opposition. Crows only played when Melbourne has let them play. Otherwise, Demons were simply ruthless, exploring every hole in the Crows midfield and defence.

P.S.: Usually, only Port's (if not a quarter by day during the week). But I usually watch some 20 minutes to a quarter of the night games, before the rest of the house awakes.

I had insomnia. I decided to watch some footy. I finally managed to sleep at 3:40am or something.

Demons did what a good side must do against bad opposition. Crows only played when Melbourne has let them play. Otherwise, Demons were simply ruthless, exploring every hole in the Crows midfield and defence.

P.S.: Usually, only Port's (if not a quarter by day during the week). But I usually watch some 20 minutes to a quarter of the night games, before the rest of the house awakes.
You watched more of the game than me. I only saw the last quarter.

I think you have officially hit footyhead status. ;)

Gaff absolutely killing them this year but his consistency has also been amazing. 534 disposals in 22 games in 2014, 738/25 in 2015, 657/22 in 2016 and 713/24 in 20117. Only 6 games below 20 disposals and a low of 15. Currently has 294 in 2018 with the 10th game 3/4 over. It was revealed some clubs have offered $800K for the unsigned Jordan DeGoey. Right now he has had some big games but has been a lot less consistent and certainly doesn't have such an impressive long-term record. Gaff must be commanding a good deal more.
I'd love for Polec to reach Gaff heights of consistency. I think he's getting there, although clearly not as prolific.

The Eagles really are blessed and in my opinion have the best list going around:
Two ruckmen - one elite, the other in career-best form
Two top-line key forwards - one already elite, the other in career-best and competition-best form
A third young tall forward who roams the forward line and creates space
Accurate, composed and skilled small forwards x3
Well balanced midfield - strength and versatility of Yeoh, running power of Gaff, clearance nous of Shuey, increasingly reliable contributors in Redden, Sheed, Duggan, Masten, Hutchings
Ever reliable interceptors: McGovern, Hurn, Sheppard

For us to match their output, we need the following to happen for the rest of this season:
1. Wingard to recapture Wingod form of 2013 and 2015
2. Dixon to recapture his form from the last month of 2017 and to improve his goal-kicking considerably
3. Watts to impose himself like he has never done before
4. Motlop to consistently hit 20 possessions and 1-2 goals per game
5. Powell-Pepper and Rockliff to build on their excellent past fortnight. SPP to elevate his game a rung or two above what he achieved in 2017
6. Marshall to come back into the side and continue in the rich vein of form and class he showed in rounds 1-3.
7. Ryder to stay injury free and sustain his form from 2017 and the recent showdown
8. 2017 not 2018 version of Ebert.
9. Wines to lift his output enough to have a career-best season
10. Hinkley's game plan and/or our execution of it to change immeasurably. Better skills, better defending, faster ball movement, better adherence to structure at stoppages and forward of the ball, better forward movement, leading and crumbing patterns

I know I already posted about Wines vs Viney, but both clubs should be stoked with what they have. Aside from the height difference they are literally the same player and were both born to captain clubs at AFL level.

Did chuckle when Viney threw Fogarty around today ;)
Viney has had the better of Ollie the past two times you have played us. Hoping Wines is ready to rumble from the first bounce next time our teams meet.

I'd love for Polec to reach Gaff heights of consistency. I think he's getting there, although clearly not as prolific.

The Eagles really are blessed and in my opinion have the best list going around:
Two top-line key forwards - one already elite, the other in career-best and competition-best form
Well balanced midfield - strength and versatility of Yeoh, running power of Gaff, clearance nous of Shuey, increasingly reliable contributors in Redden, Sheed, Duggan, Masten, Hutchings

For us to match their output, we need the following to happen for the rest of this season:
2. Dixon to recapture his form from the last month of 2017 and to improve his goal-kicking considerably
5. Powell-Pepper and Rockliff to build on their excellent past fortnight. SPP to elevate his game a rung or two above what he achieved in 2017
6. Marshall to come back into the side and continue in the rich vein of form and class he showed in rounds 1-3.
7. Ryder to stay injury free and sustain his form from 2017 and the recent showdown
10. Hinkley's game plan and/or our execution of it to change immeasurably. Better skills, better defending, faster ball movement, better adherence to structure at stoppages and forward of the ball, better forward movement, leading and crumbing patterns

I didn't see Eagles and Demons coming. I still want to see whether they are for real or early-season "bunnies."

How common are "bunnies" (hot-start teams who run out of gas before the end of the season) in AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol Walker just barely sneaks into the top 3 tall forwards at the Crows, let alone the competition. I’d have McGovern or Lynch in our side over him any day.

So now that they’re about to fall off the cliff, how long will it take for them to turn on Matt Crouch, the biggest stat padder in the history of world sport?

He’s not even the biggest stat padder in his family.

Last edited:
Games in Ballarat, Alice Springs, Tasmania, make me wonder why Victorian teams were forced out their home stadia. The atmosphere for the games would be much better than those in empty MCG or Docklands.

The league could at least allow games against interstaters to be held at the Vic clubs' traditional grounds.

My god.

Games in Ballarat, Alice Springs, Tasmania, make me wonder why Victorian teams were forced out their home stadia. The atmosphere for the games would be much better than those in empty MCG or Docklands.

The league could at least allow games against interstaters to be held at the Vic clubs' traditional grounds.
Done well for Melbourne today m8

They aren't forced out, they sell the games to these other stadiums for about $500k because they make more net of stadium game day costs and if they only sell one game they usually still charge members the same price as 11 games when they only play 10. They sell games against low drawing non Vic clubs.

Tasmania is a bit different because the Hawks started with 2 games there for about $500k as well as St Kilda in 2001 but at end of 2006 St Kilda said no more games in Tassie, but the Hawks signed a big sponsorship deal with the Tasmanian government in 2007 worth about $1.8m to put TASMANIA on the jumper and play 4 games in Tassie and got $300k a game. That value now is about $2.3m per year for the jumper sponsorship and about $1.4m for the 4 games per year.

The reason they didn't get $500k in the 2007 deal was because the 4 game deal the Tassie government said you can sell 4 game memberships and you can keep 100% of those sales and we keep the gate ticket sales like under the $500k deals.

The Hawks sell about 7,000 x 4 game memberships for an average of $150 so they are still better off receiving the $300k then adjusted for Consumer Price Index since 2007 than getting the $500k per game indexed for inflation.

Last edited:
I also like how the prevailing opinion at Crowland seems to be ‘losing Jake Lever is fine because we’ve replaced him with Tom Doedee’. Putting aside for a moment that Doedee isn’t fit to carry Lever’s bags ... you could’ve had both? Like, Doedee could’ve come into the side to replace a spud like Kelly or Hartigan which would have been a net positive, rather than being forced to ‘replace’ a bloke who’d just made the AA squad. But obviously that requires too much brainpower for the average Crow fan to figure out.

I also like how the prevailing opinion at Crowland seems to be ‘losing Jake Lever is fine because we’ve replaced him with Tom Doedee’. Putting aside for a moment that Doedee isn’t fit to carry Lever’s bags ... you could’ve had both? Like, Doedee could’ve come into the side to replace a spud like Kelly or Hartigan which would have been a net positive, rather than being forced to ‘replace’ a bloke who’d just made the AA squad. But obviously that requires too much brainpower for the average Crow fan to figure out.
They have had plenty of experience of brainwashing themselves that when they lose player X then replacement player Y is a better player and they are better off with player Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back