Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we know they are always coveting Port and Port things and ideas.

I think they have watched how our Bring Back The Bars Campaign has unified us, had a look at their own sparse history to find something similar and this is all they could come up with.

After we got the hashtag We are Port Adelaide, they came up with We Fly as One.

They have been trying to come up with something equivalent to NTUA for years.

Let’s face it, are not a very original minded AFL club.

As much as it hurts watching us under Kenny I still feel for Saints supporters.

Imagine how hard it would if once Kenny finally leaves and we still have to listen to sh*te like this year's later from an under achiever

GT went from wooden spoon to edge of finals to prelim to prelim to elimination final and was sacked at the end of his 5th year because of a business deal gone wrong with the coke head president. Didn't take their chances but hardly a mediocre underacheiver in the mould of Ken.

Also, his point is correct and could be applied to Port as well.

Ned McHenry signed a 2 year contract extension - the 29th crow to re-sign this year which seems to be the obligatory post script to every crow re-signing story.

How insecure are they that they have to count off every re-signing. They actually continue to make it an issue.

Meanwhile we're being chipped for having a "mammoth" 18 players in the last year of their contract in 2022...

GT went from wooden spoon to edge of finals to prelim to prelim to elimination final and was sacked at the end of his 5th year because of a business deal gone wrong with the coke head president. Didn't take their chances but hardly a mediocre underacheiver in the mould of Ken.

Also, his point is correct and could be applied to Port as well.
GT gets my admiration for telling Vlad and Gil to **** off on occasions, when the AFL tried their usual bully boy tactics on him that others before and after went weak at the knees for and aquiesced to demands, instead of standing their ground (reference Mick Warner's book the Boys' Club).

Calls a hand held garden fork a shovel.

And yes. Could just as easily call Port an underachieving "just happy to be in the AFL" type of club.

As if any other club would be interested in Ned McHenry. Slow, weak, not particularly accurate but has a crack. He's like the wish .com version of Jake neade

Listened to this Dr Peter Brukner and Burgo podcast last night and listened to some parts again this morning. its the first episode of season 2 and looks like they - Brukner in particular will interview a lot of athletes over the summer.

They talk about Melbourne's flag and progress thru Burgo's 2 years there. Sounds like 2020 covid affected season was pretty tough. Talks about all the cuts.

Doc Brukner was Melbourne's doctor from late 1980's for over a decade before McGuire pinched him for a few years, as well as team doctor for Athletics Australia, Olympics doctor, Socceroos doctor, national hockey team and national cricket team doctor over the years. Josh Mahoney got him back in a part time role at end of 2019 after he signed Burgo up. I found the following of interest.

At 33 minute mark talks about Melbourne fitness change - said Port had a lot of outstanding runners compared to Melbourne. Talked about Petracca not being an aerobic runner so he personally wanted to improve and Burgo didn't try and change him into a middle distance runner, but improve his explosiveness and burst speed. Petracca sounds obsessive to improve the 2 years Burgo was there. I think Burgo has learnt something compared to his time at Port.

Talked about Ed Langdon and compared his aerobic capacity to Brad Ebert, said he thinks he has Brad covered. Said in a game he averages 15-16km running and 3,500 high speed metres and about 600-700m sprinting in some games. Said he rarely comes off for a break and jokes with him before the game and says see you in 3 hours time. I looked up his game time stats this year, 12 times he had 95%+ game time including 3 times 100% inc the QF, 9 times 90% to 94% and only 3 times in the 80%+ range. unbelievable stats for a wingman.

Doc Brukner at 40 minute mark talks about Melbourne's lack of injuries and to key players. First time 9 players have played all 25 games in V/AFL history (edit it actually was 10). 4 of the 5 All Oz players played all games (May didn't) and the 7 who made AA squad of 40 players, only missed 4 games in total and the Doc said 12 of his top 14 players played at least 23 of the 25 games. He said on Wednesday of GF week, apart from the 3 guys who had season ending knee recos, every other player was fit to train and be selected for the GF.

Port's success this year can also be put down to a lot of key players playing a lot of games despite having 17 in season operations. Was talking to Gremio about it yesterday. 8 players played all 24 games - Dixon, Aliir, Jonas, Wines, Amon, Burton, DBJ and Drew. The first 7 started the season as best 14-16 type players. I reckon DBJ was lucky not to be dropped. Bergman, Houston and Boak missed 1 game and Marshall, Georgiades and Rozee only missed 2. Houston, Boak and Rozee would have started the year in best 14-16 type players.

The big ones we missed and weren't fit enough come finals - PF they weren't - was Gray played 15, Butters 12 and Duursma 11 and probably throw in Fantasia with 15.

At 47 minute mark Burgo talk about Goodwin at the start of the preseason said that they will do heavy physical contact work at training and he didn't care if they got injuries and told doctors and HP team to stay away 60m+ and not spook players with their concerns. Said 70% of their injuries were as a result of contact injuries in training.

53.30 minute mark the Doc asks him about the last 1.33 quarters of GF and what Burgo's take was on how/why they dominated. Burgo talks about his role on game day and his control of rotations for about a minute, says he doesn't get to watch much of a game, but said he thinks everything right happened all together and they kicked 4 goals in 1.5 minutes and broke the Bulldogs' spirit. Talks a lot about Jackson coming off the bench and replacing Gawn, 3 best mids at centre bounces, said Gawn called it, said Jacko will dominate, so put me back on in the forwardline.

Doc said all season Melbourne were best 3rd quarter and 4th quarter team. Then a discussion about fitness levels and mindset they had after half time in a GF.

Last 7 or 8 minutes Burgo talks mainly about his personal situation, disappointment after Arsenal dismissal and then his personal situation after his marriage breakdown and being away from his kids.

Last edited:
They'll probably bring back the classic futures so bright I have to wear shades campaign at the same time as well.

Actually if they did it would make for a pretty cool throwback.
I like to wear sunglasses at Port games so I don't have to see the terror

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

At 33 minute mark talks about Melbourne fitness change - said Port had a lot of outstanding runners compared to Melbourne. Talked about Petracca not being an aerobic runner so he personally wanted to improve and Burgo didn't try and change him into a middle distance runner, but improve his explosiveness and burst speed. Petracca sounds obsessive to improve the 2 years Burgo was there. I think Burgo has learnt something compared to his time at Port.

Ah good.

A 12 part series on the history of essendon on fox footy....

fu** me talk about overkill for a club that's done bugger all this century except for bringing the game into disrepute.
I guess the doping saga will get saturation coverage in 3 of the 12 episodes?
Proud days indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbs charging $149 to have a pic with a replica cup, be pissed if ports did this.
I was at the club having a schnitty the year before last. Asked if I could take a pic as the cleaner was there, not a problem. They took it down and gave it to me 😂.
459D482B-B5A5-41A8-928C-A25AD800C2C2.jpeg

Melbs charging $149 to have a pic with a replica cup, be pissed if ports did this.

I had my photo taken with real thing and sadly that was too long ago. It was under guard outside the Port Shop all you had to do was pick it up and get someone to snap a photo. It was the real deal and did not cost anything.

Last edited:
I had my photo taken with real thing and sadly that was too long ago. It was under guard outside the Port Shop all you had to do was pick it up and get someone to snap a photo. It was the real deal and did not cost anything.
Ditto.

Me too, unfortunately pic taken with lg flip phone as was the style at the time. 5 or so years ago it came out on family day & my then young kids had fun with the cup.
In addition the $149 is per person, $499 for a family!!

In addition the $149 is per person, $499 for a family!!
Well, one must take into account that their supporters had been saving money for celebration for 50 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back