Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

"The Hawks were willing to part ways with Breust, and fellow star Chad Wingard, to improve their draft hand after Sam Mitchell took over as coach from four-time premiership mastermind Alastair Clarkson.

But Breust and Wingard were determined to remain at Waverley Park and have been rewarded as the Hawks have defied expectations this season."

Was everyone aware of this? Don't remember hearing about it.

My sister lives on the Gold Coast so I go up there just about every year and I regularly get to see GC either play a trial game or a normal match and I was always impressed with 2m Peter Wright. Could take a good grab and is a beautiful kick for goal and a big unit.

Always came away thinking he and Lynch should be kicking a bag of goals most matches and be hard to stop as a double act.

They are now doing it, but at different clubs.

"The Hawks were willing to part ways with Breust, and fellow star Chad Wingard, to improve their draft hand after Sam Mitchell took over as coach from four-time premiership mastermind Alastair Clarkson.

But Breust and Wingard were determined to remain at Waverley Park and have been rewarded as the Hawks have defied expectations this season."

Rumours were that Sam Mitchell was shopping around the whole team. Its why there were rumours that we were into O'Meara.

Breust rings a bell, Wingard doesnt.

Breust rings a bell, Wingard doesnt.
From

screenshot_20211008-101928-jpg.1255650

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably an unpopular opinion but I quite like Matthew Richardson as a commentator

• Essendon beats Hawthorn by 27.
  • Hawthorn beats Port by 64.
  • Essendon beats Port by 91? 🙄

Nothing like the power of negative thought but there is another way of looking at the situation.

• Bulldogs beat Essendon by 32 points
  • Port Beats Bulldogs by 17 points
  • Port v Essendon at AO :think:
I would say that Port side that lost to Hawthorn is a different outfit to the current side but time will tell. We have to beat North next week then face Geelong at Alphabet Stadium before we get to the Bombers.

Just noticed that the official crowd for last week's game at Cazaly Stadium in Cairns was only 6645. The AFL paid St Kilda 600-700k to move a game that attracted a crowd that we would not have been satisfied with at a SANFL game back in the 1980's. The playing conditions were terrible as the scores indicated so you wonder how many pluses the AFL took out of the exercise.

Despite the 1.3 M deal over two years the Saints are now getting cold feet over a deal that was supposed to replace the Shanghai games against Port. The Saints have played in Cairns twice, both times against SA based teams and have lost narrowly both times. Last year's game against the Crows attracted a crowd of 5969. The total score in both games is 25.55 and no team managed 10 goals in either game. I guess in an NRL mad environment low scores are not a huge issue but you would like to see the skills of the game highlighted in a non AFL environment. Maybe the Saints have reached the stage where not even 1.3 M will entice them back to Cairns.

Whoever plays in Cairns I hope it is not Port. We have a traveling schedule of Cairns-Adelaide-Tasmania-Geelong over four weeks.

Just noticed that the official crowd for last week's game at Cazaly Stadium in Cairns was only 6645. The AFL paid St Kilda 600-700k to move a game that attracted a crowd that we would not have been satisfied with at a SANFL game back in the 1980's. The playing conditions were terrible as the scores indicated so you wonder how many pluses the AFL took out of the exercise.

Despite the 1.3 M deal over two years the Saints are now getting cold feet over a deal that was supposed to replace the Shanghai games against Port. The Saints have played in Cairns twice, both times against SA based teams and have lost narrowly both times. Last year's game against the Crows attracted a crowd of 5969. The total score in both games is 25.55 and no team managed 10 goals in either game. I guess in an NRL mad environment low scores are not a huge issue but you would like to see the skills of the game highlighted in a non AFL environment. Maybe the Saints have reached the stage where not even 1.3 M will entice them back to Cairns.

Whoever plays in Cairns I hope it is not Port. We have a traveling schedule of Cairns-Adelaide-Tasmania-Geelong over four weeks.
In an NRL mad environment the constant fumbling would be a big issue!
It’s one of the most jarring things when going between the sports in general, the way it looked last Friday would have been awful.

In an NRL mad environment the constant fumbling would be a big issue!
It’s one of the most jarring things when going between the sports in general, the way it looked last Friday would have been awful.

The NQ Cowboys play in Townsville and do not seem to have problems with humidity and a slippery ball. If they could find suitable stadium in Townsville maybe the answer is to play further south?

If the AFL are paying this $ to Saints what's the point? Leave the game in Melb and just give Saints the extra $. anyway.

I thought it was Qld tourism paying some of it?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/j...w/news-story/7ce3968a55e66e710a26f430fea45441

Lol. Long may Essington's failure continue. How dare anyone criticise us for being 1-6??? Dyson, you're about the shittest captain in the comp and you've won 2 games in a season you were expected to make finals and improve. Stop acting like you won the flag for beating a fellow battler team.

No wonder this club hasn't won a final for almost 20 years...

If the AFL are paying this $ to Saints what's the point? Leave the game in Melb and just give Saints the extra $. anyway.

I thought it was Qld tourism paying some of it?

The AFL were trying to get the Queensland Government to part fund the venture but I am not sure they were successful. Judging by the crowd it does not look as if the game was a huge attraction which sewelled the Queensland coffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back