Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could say the same about what we thought in Hinkley's second year as coach. And we were coming from a long way further back than GWS, the drafts in our worst years compromised by the new teams, no Academies for us and no love from the AFL, with a local football league and media actively trying to bury us.

GWS look good, but so they should with the amount of talent and concessions at their disposal.

I feel like every time I say something like this I have to add the caveat that I think Hinkley's time is well up but every shiny new thing is not gold. Wonder how Richmond supporters are feeling right now?
Yep people tend to brush over the 29 first round draft picks like they are meaningless.
Less just concentrate on the coach it makes better reading.

The long Josh hangs around with Ken the harder it is to hold on to the sort of goodwill a new coach usually gets from supporters.

I'm happy to to give Josh a chance but instead of your typical 3 year deal it's down to 2 years.

I'd say he has about 6 weeks from a few here ;)

Its one of those ideas that just gets dumber the more you think about it.

Like not only did we not see our own team, but missed out on seeing 9 other sides.

Round 2 is now gonna have a bunch of games between teams that have already settled in and got their first game out of the way and teams that havent played yet in 2024.

Later in the season these 8 sides wont get a break when they need it as the other 10 sides catch up with a recovery bye when it actually makes sense to do so from a player management perspective.

Dumb de dumb dumb dumb.

I have concerns for norf getting GWS in Sydney next week. And by concerns what I mean is lol.

Yep people tend to brush over the 29 first round draft picks like they are meaningless.
Less just concentrate on the coach it makes better reading.

Ignoring the fact that talent is only one part of the equation, as illustrated by the relative journeys of GWS and the SUNS since inception.

If you can't see that GWS are a fantastically well run football club and that Adam Kingsley has used that platform to show in a very short space of time that he's got some serious coaching ability then I don't know what to say.

Ignoring the fact that talent is only one part of the equation, as illustrated by the relative journeys of GWS and the SUNS since inception.

If you can't see that GWS are a fantastically well run football club and that Adam Kingsley has used that platform to show in a very short space of time that he's got some serious coaching ability then I don't know what to say.

If we’re back to bemoaning an alleged talent deficit after all that we’ve observed in microcosm since say, 2021 — the Prelim disaster, the Collingwood flag, GWS and Carlton’s rapid rise — it’s hard to figure out what people want, really.

If we’re back to bemoaning an alleged talent deficit after all that we’ve observed in microcosm since say, 2021 — the Prelim disaster, the Collingwood flag, GWS and Carlton’s rapid rise — it’s hard to figure out what people want, really.

It's hard to understand why anyone would defend this regime. Like, why?

I get why everyone at the club defends their positions, it's literally how they make a living. I get why various media outlets defend the club - they're friends and in one case family with said club employees. And most, whether nominally Port aligned or not, do not care much for the club's ongoing success.

But a supporter? You're probably not friends or family with anyone at the club. You don't get paid - in fact, you pay to be recognised as part of it. You're in the midst of a 20 year premiership drought and 17 year grand final drought, of which the current regime have navigated the lion's share.

Why would you STILL be defending this? It's genuinely weird and cultish but I can't figure out what the hook is.

I get why everyone at the club defends their positions, it's literally how they make a living. I get why various media outlets defend the club - they're friends and in one case family with said club employees. And most, whether nominally Port aligned or not, do not care much for the club's ongoing success.

But a supporter? You're probably not friends or family with anyone at the club. You don't get paid - in fact, you pay to be recognised as part of it. You're in the midst of a 20 year premiership drought and 17 year grand final drought, of which the current regime have navigated the lion's share.

Why would you STILL be defending this? It's genuinely weird and cultish but I can't figure out what the hook is.
Cause end of the day you gotta support the boys or else go follow the crows

Is Carlton vs Richmond still traditional to open the season when the season is already open?
Yes they "traditionally" (well, for the past 15 years or so anyway - remembering that anything longer than 4 years counts as traditional to Victorian clubs and supporters) play in Round '1'.

We've just had Round '0'.

So the Round '1' tradition continues - God bless their pea brained tiny hearts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supporters have the real power but are not sufficiently disgruntled and/or organised enough to exercise it en masse.

When we hit the skids in 2011, it wasn't because we didn't have a Chairman, CEO, coach, Footy Ops Manager, players etc., it was because supporters weren't turning up to games and the knock on effects on sponsorships, prime time slots, merch sales etc.

While people keep turning up, the current regime will continue to think their s**t doesn't stink.

That has to have been the most uninspiring, boring round 1 in any sport ever.
Let’s face it, the ‘Opening Round’ was nothing more than a gimmicky carnival side show act that the AFL invented to expand the game in northern states.

It doesn’t work, it’s underwhelming & should never happen again.

Which is why half the VIC clubs aren’t playing, but all the clubs from the rugby states are ?
Which is why it’s all ‘big’ VIC clubs on tour.
Getting one of their longest away trips out of the way and having a week off to recover. Whilst advertising their wares to future players and uncommitted northern state fans.

What was the rationale for a split first round?

More focus on the Vics.

It was to exploit the fact that the big QLD and NSW NRL teams were playing their gimmick games in the USA.

There was basically no NRL in NSW and QLD this week worth watching.

The whole split round thing was rubbish though.

I feel like every time I say something like this I have to add the caveat that I think Hinkley's time is well up but every shiny new thing is not gold. Wonder how Richmond supporters are feeling right now?
100%, but better to have gone down trying rather than wondering. The brave desire to be the best has left our club and a conservative mentality has well and truly taken over.

Football season hasn’t started for me until I see Richmond play Carlton at the big G
Hope this is sarcasm.

Nothing worse in the AFL than that concocted Rnd 1 shambles.

This year getting rid of that being the kick off game is the best thing the AFL has done in ages.

It was to exploit the fact that the big QLD and NSW NRL teams were playing their gimmick games in the USA.

There was basically no NRL in NSW and QLD this week worth watching.

The whole split round thing was rubbish though.
What I don't agree with is the split round nonsense. You can still target NSW/QLD and have the same games, in the same times lots, whilst having the other 10 sides also playing.

Talent is a massive part of the equation, if you haven’t got the cattle it doesn’t matter who’s coaching you will NEVER win squat.
GWS have the talent thanks to a massive leg up from the AFL, nobody’s saying Kingsley is not a good coach and he has made a difference but without the 29 first round draft picks there at the back of the pack with Norf.

What I don't agree with is the split round nonsense. You can still target NSW/QLD and have the same games, in the same times lots, whilst having the other 10 sides also playing.

Split round sucks. Carlton are up for a bye before 10 sides play. 4 sides play twice before the other 10 play? Just play a full round and promote the nsw/qld games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back