Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interpretations have changed post Maynard. It's no longer enough to say 'well from the point I recklessly launched myself into the air, I had no choice but to knock my opponent into next week'. Players now have a responsibility not to recklessly launch themselves into the air and put themselves in that position in the first place.

He wuz in da air, what else is he supposed to do except smash the other bloke??

Interpretations have changed post Maynard. It's no longer enough to say 'well from the point I recklessly launched myself into the air, I had no choice but to knock my opponent into next week'. Players now have a responsibility not to recklessly launch themselves into the air and put themselves in that position in the first place.
I do understand that. Maynard’s launch at the ball resulted in contact to a player that had already disposed of the ball and was defenceless well after he got rid of it. I just feel that wright had a legitimate play on the ball and I actually don’t know what he could have done differently given the circumstances. It was a much better action than drapers that was a deliberate play on the body and only results in a fine. I am all for protecting players from head high contact in bumps. But this is not a case of electing to bump when there is another option. It’s taking it too far because the only suspension options are get off totally or 4 games. If it allowed for 1 or 2 then it’s different. The system is broken.

Peter Wrights hit was classic "make em earn it". He didn't set out on the run with the intention of hurting his opponent but in that split second where he couldn't directly get the ball I'm sure he thought I'll make my presence felt. On the SPP scale, 6 weeks? With this AFL who knows?
Based on the SPP decision the AFL has certainly painted themselves into a corner, so what’s good for Port Adelaide (with all of its taxes) it is also good for the Melbourne based teams. Unless they find some other mitigating evidence that can change the verdict.

The SPP call makes it clear.

Concussion is a 4 week penalty.

It grades up from there.

Wright is marginally worse than SPP. That has to be minimum 4 but probably 5.
Don't worry, the media is here to save the day.

Njvi7Xo.jpg

Hi jumping over and taking the hat of the unaware security guard. Shows they need to be more aware of what’s going on behind them rather than just watching the game. His mate that’s filming it here should get a ban too though.

Steven May has two cracked ribs and a crack in the transverse process (the bony projection on either side of the vertebrae). But the Dees are hopeful the key back will only miss a week. No lung puncture, so purely pain management for May. Jake Lever said to be fine with a bit of knee soreness only. A very good result for Melbourne, all things considered.

The pitch invader should be banned and fined to the max, interfering in the play is a huge step up from just doing a runner 100m away from the ball.

Also he kept his clothes on and that's gay and unaustralian.

But mostly the inserting himself in to the play.

Like, call me no fun, but I find no aspect of what happened amusing at all. It crossed a line. I don't care that the flog knocked him over, I don't care Jeremy Cameron signaled HTB, it shouldn't have happened, none of it.

Last edited:
Hi jumping over and taking the hat of the unaware security guard. Shows they need to be more aware of what’s going on behind them rather than just watching the game. His mate that’s filming it here should get a ban too though.

I mean they should probably consider using security guards who can crack the 100m in under a minute

I mean they should probably consider using security guards who can crack the 100m in under a minute

He waddled as fast as he could

Kid Vs GIF by JustViral

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect for no good reason for Wright to get 3 (can't give him as many as SPP because reasons), or get off if the media turns up the heat.

Steven May has two cracked ribs and a crack in the transverse process (the bony projection on either side of the vertebrae). But the Dees are hopeful the key back will only miss a week. No lung puncture, so purely pain management for May. Jake Lever said to be fine with a bit of knee soreness only. A very good result for Melbourne, all things considered.
Missing just a week would be so dumb.

I expect for no good reason for Wright to get 3 (can't give him as many as SPP because reasons), or get off if the media turns up the heat.

The MRO has made like a goal umpire and referred it. The rules were supposedly changed after The Braynard Incident, so I expect the Tomb Eater will get a couple.

Stocks down: In a year his club simply had to make finals, an 0-2 start -- and against teams also vying for the eight -- isn't great for Matthew Nicks. It begs the question, why did the Adelaide Crows re-sign him during the week for a further two years? The pressure was on Nicks, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but now tied to the club until the end of 2026, it's a move which could backfire should the Crows continue to splutter. The build has been slow, and fans are already restless. For Nicks' sake, they need to start winning.

Just pick big ex rugby mauri guys, Jona Lomu types.

Would make the take down's so much more entertaining and make streakers think twice.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How has this 'protecting yourself' garbage been allowed to enter into the mainstream discussion around these types of cases? Players go into contests all the time and compete and clash bodies without 'protecting themselves'. It's total garbage.

Players do protect themselves, all the time, but it's by electing to not enter a contest at a speed where they totally lose control of their body to the point where all they can do is turn away. Maynard getting a pass for "protecting himself" given how he initiated the contact with a full view of what was happening the whole way through was insane. Put your hands out in front of you.

So can anyone tell me what they think Wright should have done in that instant that he realised someone was running into his line?

Realistically.
Second time posting

This is what Peter Wright should've done

Take the ******* mark. Protecting himself? Gimme a break, he's on the move and he's going to smash through any Sydney opponent that drops into the hole.

This isn't even a post Maynard thing.

Carlton's Lachie Plowman was suspended for this kind of incident when he hit Jaegar O'Meara in 2021.

And Plowman made even more of an effort at playing the ball than Wright did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back