Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Thilthorpe's injury worse than first thought and won't be back until the back end of the season.
Interesting. I was speaking with a current player Not AFL, who told me that he had the same injury and it was worse than doing an ACL in that the damage to the knee is quite severe and can cost a lot longer on the sidelines than does an ACL injury.

Interesting. I was speaking with a current player Not AFL, who told me that he had the same injury and it was worse than doing an ACL in that the damage to the knee is quite severe and can cost a lot longer on the sidelines than does an ACL injury.
I had the same injury from someone sliding into my legs.

30 years ago they would cut the cartilage guaranteeing arthritis in later life. Luckily I’m not that old. Now they can piece it together but because there’s next to no blood flow in a meniscus it still never really heals but the operation does keep the cartilage from falling into the joint which is t he real issue. I had a 2nd clean up a year later to remove some loose bodies.

3 months is about right for being able to play again in my experience. I’m not sure if I lost a bit some range of motion in the joint or something but never kicked as well after - that’s probably the sort of thing a full time athlete with all the medical bells and whistles would sort though.

Nah no speed records will be needed.

All they have to get ready by late March next year is an AFL standard oval, the function type centre and players change rooms and coaches boxes and media area.

The rest of the footy stuff can be temporary stuff as per Mount Barker which was up and running in 2023 only 6 months after SA being awarded Gather Round, which was only 1 month after Malinauskas hounded the AFL heavyweights during AFL GF week.

The non AFL stuff doesn't need to be ready by then.

Its well passed concept stage, the redevelopment has been fully approved by council which would have been a 12+ month process and the renders by Dash Architects are dated 19/2/2024 which means these are probably final plans for building sizes, as dimension are on the plans.

The plans say the vineyards have already been purchased where the 2nd oval/athletics track will be built. I had assumed that it''s the Burge Family Winemakers land, as I heard the land was donated, but it probably was a private winegrowers vineyard block rather than one owned by the winery.

One thing that's interesting from the renders is that the railway line goes past the south western border of the property, as the old Lyndoch station is close to the township and the intersection of Barossa Valley Highway / Lyndoch Valley Road / Gilbert Street.

I completely had forgotten that when I turn right at that intersection and drive up to Dutschke Wines, not far from that intersection, I drive over the railway line. Wonder if Premier Pete will fire up the train to run between Gawler and Lyndoch or Taunuda or even further, during Gather Round.

They’ll definitely have to fix the oval.
I snapped my foot off playing on that quagmire tackling someone. I went one way and my foot got stuck in the ground and went the other way. Snapped all the ligaments and both bones.

******* hate the place 😂😂

We talk about Port and their 2 week injuries, but the crows are shockers for injury misinformation.

Whenever a crow goes down the first line pushed through their pet media outlet Channel 7 is that it's not serious, could be available this week. Then as the weeks drag on they finally come clean ... -ish.

Even Lachie Murphy who no one cares about was given the velvet injury treatment.

That was at Marvel the year after, when they beat us by 2 points with a free kick count of 26-11.

Lol. That's right. There were two games like that against the same team.

But there's nothing to see here, move along.

Ping him.
AFL:

PSiankC.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live interstate and was wondering if Alberton Oval would be considered for a gather round game. Just read some previous comments, I guess it will never happen
I was in town for our last 2 games and it was great seeing the city alive.
Do we really want 2 other clubs playing on our ground? The only way our club plays on there is if it's a pre-season game.

As for other SA grounds. I reckon Centrals ground looked great when we played a pre-season game vs Melbourne a bunch of years ago, but sitting on concrete for a long time sucks, they need more seating over there.

Probably talking about Chappel

Rob Mason. According to his LinkedIn profile, Rob is a coach developer and coaching researcher. He currently consults to high performance organisations around the world in the space of coach development and in-game communication. His research has been published in international coaching and sport pedagogy journals, and has been translated into plain-language blog posts.

The Free Kick Ladder - Round 4​

Leading the way is Essendon who have an overall advantage of +24 and a league-leading average of +6.

They are clear of Adelaide and Carlton who are both on +20 (total differential) and +5 (average differential), with St Kilda on +15 and +3.75 and West Coast on +10 and +2.5 making up the top five.

Down the other end, Brisbane’s differential is -18 with an average of -4.5 to own the worst record so far in 2024.

Geelong are second bottom on -16 and -4, Richmond are next on -19 and -3.8 while Western Bulldogs on -15 and -3.75 and GWS on -12 and -3 make up the bottom five.

See the full ladder below:

FK Ladder - Round 4 2024

Essendon could be without Jordan Ridley until after its mid-season bye as coach Brad Scott says the Bombers will leave “no stone unturned” addressing their spate of soft-tissue injuries.
The star defender has entered a new rehab program after suffering another quad strain in the lead-up to the Bombers’ loss to Port Adelaide on Friday night.

Port and the Crows getting an extra home game is so far down the list of fixture inequalities so as to be not even worth a mention.

Aside from the MCG grand final which is the most obvious thing, the next most obvious is the fact that teams play 6 teams twice and the rest only once and it's literally stacked depending on where you finished the previous season like a handicapped race. You have one team playing West Coast twice and another playing Melbourne twice - that is an 8 point plus percentage swing and can be the difference between finishing 6th and hosting a final and finishing 12th and sacking your coach.
At least the Gather round, gets in an extra round and has it 6 teams twice instead of 5. The worse bit about the staggering is there's always teams going up and down. Some team lucks it with having 'top 6 or middle 6' teams twice that have turned to s**t and others vice versa. As with almost every issue in the AFL, it'd be solved by having less Vic sides. 9 outside Vic (once Tasmania is in), 7 from Vic, 16 teams, 30 rounds. It'd just leave the MCG Grand final as the glaring issue to address (which if you had 9 teams not from Victoria would probably get sorted as well).

The campaign continues.

How about sticking to your dismal science eh Tim? Norwood had their chance at a 'red hot go' when it mattered and squibbed it.

They've down f-all since on field ever since and when it comes to the AFL that's what matters more than being a place up the street from half decent skinny lattes and a couple of yearly food and wine festivals.

Last edited:
The campaign continues.

How about sticking to your dismal science eh Tim? Norwood had their chance at a 'red hot go' when it mattered and squibbed it.

They've down f-all since on field ever since and when it comes to the AFL that's what matters more than being a place up the street from half decent skinny lattes and a couple of yearly food and wine festivals.

Does Nord even have any fans? I assume they all went to the crom 30+ years ago when they came in.

As an sanfl club, they'd have what maybe 10k die hards at absolute best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back