Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

We've copped some poor umpiring over the years, but this game was genuine ****ing match-fixing.
After writing my little missive about cheating Carlton and that game st the G, wasn’t there something about the Hammer that was a bit shady? I really can’t remember the details?

Tanunda think the game will be played there 🤔
Presumably on the basis that Tanunda is more central to the general Barossa wine region than Lyndoch, and that the redevelopment there is almost complete (with more car park space), whereas the Lyndoch upgrade hasn't even started yet (and hasn't been used for senior football for yonks).

Anybody watched this yet? I wonder if the agenda will change to the latest controversy...

View attachment 1952533

I missed the first half of the show but it will be on iView.

Kochie obliquely hinted at us looking at India for commercial opportunities, probably nothing to it.

Did mention we have a coach for the coaches. Caro seemed to be in Hinkley protection mode but he wasn't being drawn into that.

I missed the first half of the show but it will be on iView.

Kochie obliquely hinted at us looking at India for commercial opportunities, probably nothing to it.

Did mention we have a coach for the coaches. Caro seemed to be in Hinkley protection mode but he wasn't being drawn into that.
Probably talking about Chappel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've copped some poor umpiring over the years, but this game was genuine ****ing match-fixing.

If it was just the 24-10 free kick count and the recalled mark because Kade Simpson said he touched it, it’d be genuinely sus.

Instead we also had:

• Wingard, Boak and Colquhoun all roughed up with late/high/tunnelling contact early with negligible punishment by way of warnings/50’s, which set the table for:

• Robbie Gray — 15 touches, 8 clearances and 2 goals in 45% TOG to that point — double-pinned arms double-action propelled into the ground and KO’d by Bryce Gibbs. No free kick. Remonstrating Port players told by the controlling umpire, “nothing in it”;

• Dennis Armfield plays on from advantage, and kicks a behind, and for some reason play is brought back for him to have another go as if we were suddenly transported back to 2006. And he makes no mistake;

• Lachie Henderson’s go-ahead goal comes from a mark that clearly touches the ground;

Through the most generous lens, the umpiring was all-time incompetent and tinged with bias (whether that’s specifically pro-Carlton, anti-Port, or that uniquely AFL thing where umpires will sometimes adjudicate hot favourites harder and show sympathy to underdogs).

But if it one day comes out that someone was crooked or on the take that day, I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest.

Apparently this guy was the umpire involved in the Brownlow betting scandal?

What a dickhead

lol what a ******* sook. I'm sure Jordan can console himself with his youth, fame and hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Geelong is different to your average Vic side.
For people that have never been there it’s a very tight nit community with that your playing for the town mentality.
It’s like one big country footy team that everyone is involved with.
Over the years there better players could have got better money playing elsewhere but the big majority really love playing for the cats.
In a way it’s very much like the old Port Adelaide days when players really had a connection with the club. ☹️

For people that have never been there it’s a very tight nit community with that your playing for the town mentality.
Over the years there better players could have got better money playing elsewhere but the big majority really love playing for the cats.
In a way it’s very much like the old Port Adelaide days when players really had a connection with the club. ☹️
Must be the reason why all their underpaid stars get plum afl/afl-w/afl media jobs…. Some even get floated for the afl commission.

For some reason Blight use to commute from Melbourne

Gather Round has been great except for one thing.

It should be renamed Making Unnecessary Loud Noise Round.

I get they will try and fire things up, but a song after every bloody goal on Friday night, people yelling at you to get you excited, making outlandishing statements, playing music when there is a quiet patch before the game and during quarters to fill the gap is over the top.

At Mount Barker for my 4th game and it contnues out here.

No problem with loud run out songs and the club song being blasted, but the constant BBL type need to make a loud noise at every opportunity is unnecessary if you think the game is good enough and spectacular enough.

Last edited:

It should be renamed Making Unnecessary Load Noise Round.

I get they will try and fire things up, but a song after every bloody goal on Friday night, people yelling at you to get you excited, making outlandishing statements, playing music when there is a quiet patch before the game and during quarters to fill the gap is over the top.

No problem with loud run out songs and the club song being blasted, but the constant BBL type need to make a loud noise at every opportunity is unnecessary if you think the game is good enough and spectacular enough.
Good call. I’m a massive basketball fan but the sensory assault that occurs at games puts me off going. I actually want to have a conversation with my son and point out things to look at on the court that are not obvious for a young fella.

The last thing the AFL needs to do is add this in

100%

Sometimes it’s nice to have a conversation. You know…. Talk about the game with other reasonable, like-minded people.

Seems an ongoing symptom after it became widespread following the COVID games in Queensland and general carnival carry-on at The Gabba.

There’s a fine line between ‘matchday entertainment’ and the ongoing aural assault of today.

States with a century and a half of football culture playing songs after every single goal is just weird.

Unbearable pre game at Mount Barker today. A real turn off.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back