Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer is a very different game in the sense that there isn't a good way to quickly resolve a drawn game. There are also lots of draws because of the low scoring nature of the game which means draws are a genuine part of the ladder rather than basically a win or loss depending on your percentage which they end up being most of the time in AFL.

Basketball to me is most comparable to footy. Four quarters, high scoring. You can get a result in pretty much whatever time frame you choose. I think yesterday would've been way more entertaining with some form of extra time but clearly that's a minority view.
Basically, the proposed solution for drawn games in AFL is a copy of the penalty shootouts used in football (soccer) to resolve drawn games when needed.

Soccer is a very different game in the sense that there isn't a good way to quickly resolve a drawn game. There are also lots of draws because of the low scoring nature of the game which means draws are a genuine part of the ladder rather than basically a win or loss depending on your percentage which they end up being most of the time in AFL.

Basketball to me is most comparable to footy. Four quarters, high scoring. You can get a result in pretty much whatever time frame you choose. I think yesterday would've been way more entertaining with some form of extra time but clearly that's a minority view.

If we want results, do we want extra time or the delay of the final siren until the first team score when time has elapsed?

Basically, the proposed solution for drawn games in AFL is a copy of the penalty shootouts used in football (soccer) to resolve drawn games when needed.

Isn't that just a bit of a fun discussion that nobody thinks is serious?

We already have a method for resolving drawn games, it happens in finals.

If we want results, do we want extra time or the delay of the final siren until the first team score when time has elapsed?
We don't need to change draws during the H&A season. If it had to be done though, like finals with extra time with 'halves' to each end. Getting to scores tied, when one side has a 3 or 4 goal breeze at their back would make it even worse.

Golden point also feels hollow for AFL. AFL is about kicking goals. Could you imagine the feeling when Travis Boak tonks an up and under kick from straight in front that goes to the point post and off hands for a behind? What a way to win.

Golden point also feels hollow for AFL. AFL is about kicking goals. Could you imagine the feeling when Travis Boak tonks an up and under kick from straight in front that goes to the point post and off hands for a behind? What a way to win.
About the only way Boak would nail a clutch moment a golden point... although he'd probably hoof it out on the full once a point has importance.

Draws have a genuine impact on ladder positions in footy also - doesn't matter that they're less common. They have been part of the game for 150 years and there is not compelling reason to eliminate them.

Having to play extra time can also impact on following weeks game for the participants - extra fatigue, more chance of injuries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If its a draw, first goal wins.

When it gets implemented, everyone will love it.

The problem with that is what happens when Marshall and Dixon kick 7 behinds between them and then the other team get a walk in goal out the back and we lose despite having a higher score.

Draw's are fine. Leave them. You don't need a result during the season. Obviously finals are different but i remember being in the minority and was excited about the 2010 GF draw, and getting to do it all again in a weeks time. And the right result came from that as Collingwood were the better team and it really showed when they had to come back and do the whole thing over again, a good chance they would've lost in extra time as the Saints had the momentum.

If its a draw, first goal wins.

When it gets implemented, everyone will love it.
Draw. I'm good with that. Keep it.

If the numbskulls want to do away with it, and get their stupid way, then a golden 'whatever' is too unfair if there's, for example, a tail wind to one end.

Needs to be extra time and at least 2 kicks in it eg. if scores level after O/T, then 2nd or 3rd or 4th O/T to decide it. And it cant be a point or a goal the difference, or else one kick could tie it up again.

Needs to be at least 7 points the variance, so even if you kick a goal at the death, you still have at least one point to win it with no time left on the clock.

Geez we've had some funny draws, just off the top of my head, bad kicking and ;etting a team comeback has been involved in most of them:
Brisbane 1997 at the Gabba, let a strong lead slip away.
Brisbane 1998 at the Gabba, another strong lead slip, Dew horrendous kick out straight to Shaun Hart late in the game.
Geelong 2000 at Aami 12.6 to 10.18, woeful kicking cost us that win. 10 more scoring shots!!
Cartlon 2005 at Aami 16.13 to 15.19, poor kicking cost us again, especially the last quarter.
Richmond 2012 at the MCG 16.10 to 16.10, probably the only draw we've had that didn't feel like a loss. Poor year so draw felt as good as a win at the time and we had to come from behind this time around late in the game.

*West coast at AO for the Elimination final too. regular time draw and poor 9.6 to 8.12, poor kicking again.

Its simple, quick, effective, exciting and more advertisement dollars.

Guys are going to become heroes and villains.

Its win, win, win.

And I'll say it, draws are for losers.

I'm pro-draw. I also like the drawn GF replay.

If we were to do away with the draw, i'd want any extra time to require one team to get 12 points ahead to win. Golden anything is no good IMO.
The only argument I have for that is the cost to the fans of the competing clubs. I remember 2013 when Fremantle made their first (and probably only) grand final - I remember reading that the cost of a return plane ticket from Perth to Melbourne that week was around $3000: it was actually cheaper to fly via Malaysia. So doing that 2 weeks in a row would be a bit prohibitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back