Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

This rule only applies in the case where a player has been tackled after having a prior opportunity to dispose of the ball.

The vast majority of times that people are complaining "he was spun 360" are an instance when the player did not have a prior opportunity.

But on this, the AFL umpiring interpretation is way too lenient on allowing players to try and fight their way out of a tackle. They should be calling stoppages much quicker than they are. Which is what forcers tacklers to have to try and take a player to the ground.
They don't want stoppages though, they want fast flowing football.

From The Age:

Carlton’s superstar defender Jacob Weitering is set to become one of the highest-paid players in the AFL after St Kilda informally pitched him a multi-year offer worth $1.5 million per season.

From The Age:

Carlton’s superstar defender Jacob Weitering is set to become one of the highest-paid players in the AFL after St Kilda informally pitched him a multi-year offer worth $1.5 million per season.
Not sure if that statement makes sense.

He's in a team that is in the mix to play a Grand Final in the next couple of years.

St Kilda is down the bottom - again.

So of course, St Kilda have to pay well above the odds to get a sniff. But they could pay $500k more than he's getting right now and a young player with a GF in sight would be idiotic to take the bait. Especially if the does the sums and realises that to pay him $1.5m their chances of getting quality talent around him will have been reduced because the cash cupboard will be empty.

Carlton don't have to match the offer in $$ terms or go anywhere near it . Yet.

Not sure if that statement makes sense.

He's in a team that is in the mix to play a Grand Final in the next couple of years.

St Kilda is down the bottom - again.

So of course, St Kilda have to pay well above the odds to get a sniff. But they could pay $500k more than he's getting right now and a young player with a GF in sight would be idiotic to take the bait. Especially if the does the sums and realises that to pay him $1.5m their chances of getting quality talent around him will have been reduced because the cash cupboard will be empty.

Carlton don't have to match the offer in $$ terms or go anywhere near it . Yet.
He was the victim of a financial scam which I think cost him a fair bit….$$$ might be a bigger incentive than normal.

Here's probably an unpopular opinion, I didn't have a problem with most of what Chris Scott said. I wish Port had an articulate coach who was willing to make such statements

If the exact reverse happened, we'd be furious with 360° tackles not being called, and the non-advantage goal. Then we'd be livid if the Bell Park Ball Sack just said yeah nah you gotta be lucky sometimes hurrr hurr
I don't agree with the Cameron goal POV. I would expect Port people to be able to see that the correct decision was made there, not moan about it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

This rule only applies in the case where a player has been tackled after having a prior opportunity to dispose of the ball.
So now it is a "reasonable" time if there wasn't prior opportunity. No wonder HTB is such a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From The Age:

In response, Dougal Howard just posted this on X.

Joaquin Phoenix Thumbs Down GIF

Fantastic that Centrals great, Sonny Morey has been made the Sir Doug Nicholls Round honouree. He was part of Stolen Generation, taken from his mother in Alice Springs when he was 8, never saw her again, and brought down to SA. He played in Centrals first official SANFL match for premiership points and was Centrals first 200 gamer. Last year was finally inducted into SA Football Hall of Fame.

Played state footy, I remember him playing a couple games in 1974, and he kept Leigh Matthews goalless in one of them. Sonny was a solid, hard footballer with plenty of speed.

He and along with Wilbur Wilson were regular players for Centrals, providing some exciting fast footy, when I first started watching the game. He was probably one of the first attacking back pocket players using his speed to advantage.

A 12 minute video The Sonny Morey Story is embedded in this AFL story. It's worth a watch.

The game Sonny's wife talks about in the video, was in 1976 which Centrals won at Glenelg after the previous year losing 49.23 v 11.13. The 1976 Rd 18 game Centrals won 23.12 v 16.16 down at the Bay after losing at home in Rd 6 to Glenelg by 40 pts.

Remember Sonny as a dashing back pocket player in the mid 60s.
Was at the club about the same time Ken Eustice turned up from Westies.
Eustice for his size was the toughest player I’ve ever seen.
Sonny was very popular player and almost had a cult type following which for the mid 60s in Australia was not the norm for Indigenous players.

Lol Weitering is good, but like 800k good. Maybe not even that!
If Will Hayward is $800k good then Weitering is easily worth a million.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back