Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

Remove this Banner Ad

Gutted.

I don’t think this is our season. We just haven’t had much luck on the injury front. We are getting killed in the midfield and our forward line is far from functioning at a high level required to win finals.

Martin: The 34 yo ruck we recruited has broken down and we have no faith in his body. It looked like an inspired move early in the season, but it hasn’t worked out.

Bruce: The forward we recruited was playing career best form and third in the Coleman is now out for a year.

Dunkley and Treloar: They have missed half a season and have not returned to their usual high standards. Bont, Libba and Macrae look tired for carrying the load all season.

Number one priority should be to recruit a decent mature ruckman in the off season. We have the midfield to win a premiership in the next 2-3 seasons and we need decent ruck support for this period.

This is probably controversial, but I’m happy not chasing Darcy and using our picks to find a decent mature ruckman now. Darcy can’t help us win a flag in the next 2-3 seasons. We need to focus on the short term future. Darcy is a 5 year long term project and we shouldn’t let that get in the way of recruiting for a premiership now

This may be controversial as well, but Wood should retire. He is finished in my view both from a form perspective and body durability. Let’s use the cap space on a ruckman. If we can nurse Crozier back to form then he is a direct replacement.

Delist Hannan and Cavarra. Trade Wallis.

I’m not against keeping Schache on the rookie list if we want to persist another 12 months in defence. But minimal money should be spent to retain him.

JUH needs a big off season on the track and in the gym. We then play him third forward behind Naughton and English next season and re-assess if Bruce returns.

The end of the season has been so disappointing, but we shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water. We still have a very good coach and list but we need improvements in key areas to be a contender next year.

Yeah nah. Sydney basically got Hickey for free and he's been in the top 6 rucks this season.

What makes my blood boil is that there are rucks out there that don't cost the bank. I'm not even kidding but even Tom Campbell would have been handy to have in the past 3-4 weeks. And we could easily find a better one for minimal cost.

Also what rucks would be available that would even be worth considering not chasing Darcy. Basically none.

Bevo mentioning the players and support staff struggling with the Covid situation in his video to members…. It was an absolute certainty he’d bring that up.

That’s my big issue with him for the last month, he has clearly been letting outside issues into the club and into the group, where it is his job to keep the focus on football, keep the energy levels of the group up and keep the group focused on what can be achieved. Not to be woe us

Bevo mentioning the players and support staff struggling with the Covid situation in his video to members…. It was an absolute certainty he’d bring that up.
Every AFL club is so he is just deflecting his shortcomings as a coach. GWS had no soul or heart for years. They have been hit hardest by injuries and Covid but Cameron has installed self belief and mental toughness in the group. He has coached amazingly this year and is leap and shoulders better than Bevo now. Did not rate Leon until this year but would have him replace Bevo in a heartbeat now.

Really stupid by Bevo blaming Covid. No wonder the players have given up and now they have an excuse. Brilliant coaching Bevo, you have now even more convinced me you are not the coach to lead us.

Have the people who are sooking that he mentioned covid? It was totally reasonable what he said…

He is the senior coach. You would NEVER hear Clarko while about how hard Covid is for the group.

It’s his job to get the boys up not give them excuses to fold. Every other team is under the same restrictions as us and you don’t hear them crying. Bevo looks defeated to my eye

Have the people who are sooking that he mentioned covid? It was totally reasonable what he said…

Press conference the other week unprompted brought up COVID the lockdown in Victoria and the mental health of journalists, press conference this week, unprompted went into detail about his wife needing to take unpaid days off so he didn’t have to go into a hotel because he needed to work from home and hoped the AFL would reimburse his wife for the days missed, now unprompted talks about the covid and current lockdown impacting players and support staff.

He is a senior coach he should not be letting that stuff in, is that hard to do of course it is with the crap what world is in at the moment, but that is his job. His job is to sell to the players one month of focus and we can achieve the ultimate. His job is to keep the players focused and keep the mood of the group up

Sorry but that’s not true at all. He spoke about the challenges of injury and form for more than the first minute of the video and then made one small mention of challenges on the periphery impacting everyone, which you could interpret as lockdowns. He then mentioned the impacts of the lockdown on fans and how the loss would be adding to that at the end of the video.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sorry but that’s not true at all. He spoke about the challenges of injury and form for more than the first minute of the video and then made one small mention of challenges on the periphery impacting everyone, which you could interpret as lockdowns. He then mentioned the impacts of the lockdown on fans and how the loss would be adding to that at the end of the video.

Unless I’m losing my mind which is entirely possible given I’ve got 2 kids under 2 and am on zero sleep, he def mentioned the challenges of the current situation on our players and staff.

We have the players to fill midfield and forward even with Bruce out

We have no ruck and other than Keath, Williams and Duryea our backs a sh!t and can’t hold anyone
I don't disagree that we have the players to cover positions up forward (you only have to see the likes of JUH, Wallis & Schaeche sitting on the sidelines for that to be obvious), however it's we tend to select the least potent combinations to accompany the ineffective systems we use (eg: go wide for as long as possible then centre it once the "hotspot" is full; bomb it to a packed area in front of goal and hope Naughton or English take a pack mark; rebound from turnovers only to find there's nobody forward of the ball to give it to). Spot on with a complete dearth of ruck & back options.

Unless I’m losing my mind which is entirely possible given I’ve got 2 kids under 2 and am on zero sleep, he def mentioned the challenges of the current situation on our players and staff.

I have a ten month old, I know what you’re going through to an extent! He said challenges on the periphery for players and staff but everyone is dealing with it. Very subtle reference and not made as an excuse. He talks predominantly about the struggles of injury and form. Sorry didn’t mean to sound like I was having a go at you but I don’t want to see a narrative develop about excuses being made when it’s not the case.

Our defensive group have been great all year and I thought they were decent again last night. The very least of our problems even if we are one one kpd short.

We absolutely had a shot at the flag this year, if we had 2 rucks, 3 fwd targets and selected our team on form, we'd be sitting top 2 right now with full confidence at a flag tilt.
Losing Bruce has made a HUGE difference. His absence is severely underrated.

I apologise to everyone for my ranting and raving in the game day thread and in this thread last night.

I'm hurting, much like everyone else here.

I feel we've let the best chance our club has had to win a flag slip.

Don’t stress. I’m still pouring my heart out today. Everyone deals with disappointment in their own way mate. In some ways it’s like looking forward to a trip for a year and then the day before having it cancelled. It causes a type of grief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfit players and a lack of composure with the ball is killing us. We simply refuse to maintain possession and play the game as it needs to be played in the current climate.

we look defenceless when teams chip the ball around and playing way too impatiently in both phases of the game.

players look mentally burdened. Give them a week off and focus on having a laugh together.

Wouldn't really matter what Bev said on that members video, people will find fault in it. He speaks from the heart and says what he is feeling and that means he is making excuses. He says nothing on it and then people would say we deserve better and he needs to give us some answers.
I reckon he coached pretty well last night. Three goals in front with ten minutes to go and the players out there should have got the job done for him.

It's such a cop out. Footy players are so far from worst off, it's not funny. Everyone is battling, some a lot more than others.

It's such a cop out. Footy players are so far from worst off, it's not funny. Everyone is battling, some a lot more than others.

Have you seen the video? It wasn’t like that at all. The only direct mention of lockdowns was an acknowledgment of how ordinary folks are going through challenges.

This heatmap sums up our gameplan pretty obviously. Favour one side and favour kicking long down the line.

The lack of possession around the defensive corners of the square is worrying. Areas where so much score is generated in the modern game.

I feel the heatmap of the only 2 real contenders playing tonight will demonstrate this.

Attachments

• E81428E9-5412-44FA-8E2E-CC0EE476F002.jpeg
    E81428E9-5412-44FA-8E2E-CC0EE476F002.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 33
Have you seen the video? It wasn’t like that at all. The only direct mention of lockdowns was an acknowledgment of how ordinary folks are going through challenges.

OK, that's fair and I take it back, I just don't want to see the club making excuses.

OK, that's fair and I take it back, I just don't want to see the club making excuses.

Same mate. Bevo isn’t perfect and deserves to be questioned on some things but I don’t think it’s helpful for us to create pages of posts about him making poor excuses when he hasn’t and that’s what sometimes happens when things that aren’t accurate spread like wildfire! The talk about injuries and form were spoken about as legitimate challenges but followed up by him saying that despite that, the boys had turned up with some strong intent last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back