Port to wear the Bars in 2023- or life on the round a about

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
The announcement that Port will wear the PB guernsey in Showdowns in 2023 is good news BUT...

From the Club website

Mr Koch said the club had been in ongoing discussions with Collingwood and both clubs have reached an agreement that will see Port Adelaide wear the heritage guernsey in 2023.

We have been here before. We keep getting limited approval without ever getting a permanent deal. From what I read on the Club website we will wear the bars in 2023 but in 2024 we will be forced to re-engage in the process of seeking AFL ( substitute Collingwood) permission.

Good news in the short term but not the news I want to hear.

On the PAFC website David Koch is quoted as follows...

Mr Koch said Port Adelaide would continue talks with Collingwood with a view of wearing the guernsey in every home Showdown moving forward and encouraged members and supporters to head to the MCG for their Round Two match against Collingwood.
“Collingwood President Jeff Browne and chief executive Craig Kelly have been outstanding to deal with during these discussions,” he said.
“There is a genuine sense of goodwill from Collingwood and an understanding that heritage is important to all clubs, not least of all Port Adelaide. We thank them for their collegiate approach.
“We look forward to continuing our positive discussions with Collingwood in regards to wearing our black-and-white Prison Bar guernsey again next year and beyond.

Good luck Mr Koch

I am happy with this. Being able to wear the bars on the national stage helps keep them in our dna. It is such an iconic guernsey (less like Collingwood’s than North Melbourne’s). It is truly unique in international sport. The original designer should be inducted to the Design Hall of Fame.

The young generation should get to experience what I did in the 70s-90s: seeing 20-22 men, connected to the history of our club, bleed for it on field.

Good to see some commonsense from Browne and Kelly- maybe the Collingwood management has grown up. In an ideal world, Collingwood are not in the conversation but recent history and the Eddie, illogical hysteria, means that they are , so I live with that.

PS At least 160 soccer teams wear black and white stripes- 47 in England alone. None of them are like the bars

Last edited:

Hahaha Collingwood coming out saying how great they are working productively with Port in their own statement.

Why only for one home Showdown then? I'd have thought they'd either agree to all home Showdowns (the compromise after Port asked for all Showdowns) or only very occasional historic occasions. Collingwood agreeing to one random Showdown seems odd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The announcement that Port will wear the PB guernsey in Showdowns in 2023 is good news BUT...

From the Club website

Mr Koch said the club had been in ongoing discussions with Collingwood and both clubs have reached an agreement that will see Port Adelaide wear the heritage guernsey in 2023.

We have been here before. We keep getting limited approval without ever getting a permanent deal. From what I read on the Club website we will wear the bars in 2023 but in 2024 we will be forced to re-engage in the process of seeking AFL ( substitute Collingwood) permission.

Good news in the short term but not the news I want to hear.

On the PAFC website David Koch is quoted as follows...

Mr Koch said Port Adelaide would continue talks with Collingwood with a view of wearing the guernsey in every home Showdown moving forward and encouraged members and supporters to head to the MCG for their Round Two match against Collingwood.
“Collingwood President Jeff Browne and chief executive Craig Kelly have been outstanding to deal with during these discussions,” he said.
“There is a genuine sense of goodwill from Collingwood and an understanding that heritage is important to all clubs, not least of all Port Adelaide. We thank them for their collegiate approach.
“We look forward to continuing our positive discussions with Collingwood in regards to wearing our black-and-white Prison Bar guernsey again next year and beyond.

Good luck Mr Koch
Don't like ya, but well done and good luck with increasing the number of games that you can wear a traditional jumper.

(Port - recruiting WC hacks)

Hahaha Collingwood coming out saying how great they are working productively with Port in their own statement.

Why only for one home Showdown then? I'd have thought they'd either agree to all home Showdowns (the compromise after Port asked for all Showdowns) or only very occasional historic occasions. Collingwood agreeing to one random Showdown seems odd.

Yes, what makes 2023 any different to other years? If you are going to defend something on as point of principle then surely it is a given and not open to concession? What do Collingwood want and what will Koch give? We know Collingwood are trying to garner AFL club support to have Brendan Gale installed as AFL CEO when Gillion MacLachlan goes so is this part of a deal to win Port's vote?

We will take what is offered but those who think this is a significant win are deluding themselves. All we have is a one year deal and more 'keep Collingwood happy' spin from Mr Koch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back