Port to wear the Bars in 2023- or life on the round a about

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to be that guy but the pre orders are exhausted less than 3 hrs after the announcement. Does the club not realise that people want to buy these
They do, but because the whole thing is an inconvenience they want it to go away.

I also have to add that a small minority of the comments on this thread are truly astounding. We have fought for the best part of a quarter of a century to wear our traditional guernsey yet there are some in our ranks who don't care? The bottom line is the true believers among us believe that we have the right to wear this guernsey and will not rest until the job is done. I for one am not going to give up the fight because I do not like the current Coach or think we might lose while wearing it. Collingwood can get stuffed and those Port supporters who don't have the stomach or will to fight can please themselves.

The truly hypocritical thing is that those who want to give up the fight for our traditional guernsey are some of the same people who are critical of the team and the Coach when they appear to throw in the towel.

Last edited:

Just wish we could get on with winning premierships instead of all the gum flapping of what we are going to do.

The club I grew up with let thier footy do the talking then the rest will follow. We didn't get into the AFL because of our jumper, it was because of our success and what the club and supporters stood for.

Win flags, gain respect then we are in a position to get what we want. When you are a good winning club even the game time slots are better, win first talk later.

Just wish we could get on with winning premierships instead of all the gum flapping of what we are going to do.

The club I grew up with let thier footy do the talking then the rest will follow. We didn't get into the AFL because of our jumper, it was because of our success and what the club and supporters stood for.

True, the bars probably mean more to long time supporters like me than they do to the present players but that goes for a lot of things associated with the history of the PAFC. The point is you cannot hope to perpetuate your traditions if you turn your back on them so we must keep up the fight.

I take your point about winning Premierships and we have had the chance to win a couple of SANFL Premierships wearing the bars in recent years but we have let the opportunity slip. Maybe that was in part because we were not good enough on the day but maybe part of it was because the bars is just another jumper to this current crew. Wearing it in the AFL may change that attitude so we must keep up the fight.

Last edited:
Saw the PAFC post on twitter within a few minutes of waking up with a pretty sore head this morning. I'm absolutely thrilled. Yes i would have liked to hear we're wearing every showdown but It's a step in the right direction.
I can't stand the leaders within the club ATM, but credit where credits due.

I am happy with this. Being able to wear the bars on the national stage helps keep them in our dna. It is such an iconic guernsey (less like Collingwood’s than North Melbourne’s). It is truly unique in international sport. The original designer should be inducted to the Design Hall of Fame.

The young generation should get to experience what I did in the 70s-90s: seeing 20-22 men, connected to the history of our club, bleed for it on field.

Good to see some commonsense from Browne and Kelly- maybe the Collingwood management has grown up. In an ideal world, Collingwood are not in the conversation but recent history and the Eddie, illogical hysteria, means that they are , so I live with that.

PS At least 160 soccer teams wear black and white stripes- 47 in England alone. None of them are like the bars

I'd like Port to wear the prison bars in Perth. Its THE iconic strip of the competition & there is no reason the WA fans would get precious over it.

I'd like Port to wear the prison bars in Perth. Its THE iconic strip of the competition & there is no reason the WA fans would get precious over it.
Absolutely. We could wear them against a club I actually respect also rather than a joke franchise like the Camry Clowns.

(Fremantle obviously :) )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, the bars probably mean more to long time supporters like me than they do to the present players but that goes for a lot of things associated with the history of the PAFC. The point is you cannot hope to perpetuate your traditions if you turn your back on them so we must keep up the fight.

I take your point about winning Premierships and we have had the chance to win a couple of SANFL Premierships wearing the bars in recent years but we have let the opportunity slip. Maybe that was in part because we were not good enough on the day but maybe part of it was because the bars is just another jumper to this current crew. Wearing it in the AFL may change that attitude so we must keep up the fight.
Yeah agreed, I am from your era by the sounds of it and love the bars but we must gain some respect and win another flag, or all of our traditions and success will fade into the past along with the jumper we all love.

I'm hoping we didn't agree to some cockamamey clause that means we lose the chance to wear the PB' in perpetuity or somethings similarly restrictive!

The gall of the Wobblers to keep peddling the "Port signed an agreement when they entered the comp" crap when previous club officials outright denied it, is pathetic.

I'm hoping that this is all part of a master plan, whereby we have let them put out such mis-information without any comeback, as part of a "gentleman's agreement" to let Collingwood eventually agree to a continuation of wearing the kit every year, and that it shows what great and splendid chaps they are for bending over backwards to help the little Alberton battlers!!!!!

They get to look like gold plated heroes, and we get our wish.

I could live with that.

Mind you, once the contract was inked in and legally unbreakable, we should publicly denounce that scurrilous crap as a bald faced lie :coolv1::thumbsupemoji:

This is my hope and wish, albeit I doubt if we were smart enough (nor ballsy enough) to organise such an agreement, and so we just keep riding the merry-go-round year after year, again and again.

I also have to add that a small minority of the comments on this thread are truly astounding. We have fought for the best part of a quarter of a century to wear our traditional guernsey yet there are some in our ranks who don't care? The bottom line is the true believers among us believe that we have the right to wear this guernsey and will not rest until the job is done. I for one am not going to give up the fight because I do not like the current Coach or think we might lose while wearing it. Collingwood can get stuffed and those Port supporters who don't have the stomach or will to fight can please themselves.

The truly hypocritical thing is that those who want to give up the fight for our traditional guernsey are some of the same people who are critical of the team and the Coach when they appear to throw in the towel.
The fact that this isn't a permanent agreement takes the shine off a bit. I feel equal measures of happiness that it is happening and contempt for Collingwood that feel they own our jumper. It's a ****ed up competition. But yeah, good to get to wear them once more (maybe the last time though).

You wonder if part of the agreement was that only so many could be sold. Seems ridiculous that the club would turn down serious cash from jumper sales right now.
This is a good point Ed's biggest problem always seemed to be Port fans wearing it when you peel away everything else.

Same here, I'd want Port to wear the bars in Sydney no one will object over here. NSW isn't a big AFL state. Most people follow the NRL. Huge potential for Port to grow the supporter base here. As someone who grew up in Adelaide Im glad that I was lucky enough to purchase the PB today. Will be wearing it all over Sydney. Port's history, tradition and culture will definitely gain more followers if we can play in the bars regularly and have more success this year. A few Giants and South Melbourne (Swans) fans will switch over for sure. Doing my part over here to convince them... Getting to play in the prison bars :musickeyboard: is a good start but keep going!

:port: > :gws::sydney:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back