Port to wear the Bars in 2023- or life on the round a about

Remove this Banner Ad

So would it be correct that Collingwood are getting a % of sales?

If that is correct, the person responsible should be shot.

I don't think it would be though.

Eddie McGuire believes “the toothpaste is out of the tube” and that Port Adelaide will be wearing its heritage jumper more often in the future as the former Collingwood president detailed his successor’s “transaction” while having a crack at the Power CEO.

And McGuire claims the Magpies, while he was president, always said yes to the Power’s request to wear their black-and-white striped jumper, but were always wary Port wanted to don the guernsey more often than a home Showdown.

Speaking on the Eddie and Jimmy podcast, McGuire explained that his hesitancy around Port’s persistent desire to wear their heritage jumper was he sense they wanted to don it more often than once a year.

And now the Magpies and Power have reached an agreement for 2023 to “sell the (Magpies) jumper in that regard”, according to McGuire, the ex-Pies president has predicted it’ll be a more consistent sight going forward.

“‘Kochie’ is a smart guy he gets the marketing and needs to show he’s in there having a go. He takes on the big guys, ‘we’ll have a go at Collingwood’,” McGuire told the 3AW podcast.

McGuire also took aim at Port Adelaide chief executive Matthew Richardson, who told reporters recently the club would be able to sell a few of its heritage jumpers now before adding: “This isn’t about money.” McGuire said with a laugh: “Now I won‘t say he’s lying, but I wouldn’t say he is telling the truth.”

Eddie is probably right, we will wear it more. what he isn't understanding is, who cares or more importantly who should care

wce, crows and brisbane have all worn red, yellow and blue
cats and carlton share blue and white

it's all right Eddie........untwist your panties

It's probably just Browne recognising that he doesn't have the power & influence that Eddie did, so he's going to actually have to work with other clubs.

See also their loss of reserved seats at other teams home games.
Agreed. He might also just not be a complete dickhead.

Eddie has absolutely no credibility after one utensil up on top of another. He’s the posterboy of old-white-male entitlement.

So would it be correct that Collingwood are getting a % of sales?

Nah, Eddie said it's simply PAFC pushing fans to get to the Round 2 game at the G

'cause you know that's the same Collingwood with the biggest supporter base in the universe that can't get very many to matches unless it's some kine of so-called blockbuster

Oh boy I love dissecting braindead Eddie McGuire commentary. Let's dig in shall we!

1678859170139.png
My brother in Christ, your club's clash jumper is literally the home jumper you were wearing at the exact time you're saying this conversation took place. Not to mention, when they did actually adopt an away jumper (which was majority black to offset the fact that their home jumper was... also majority black (this is not Collingwood specific, the policy was just really bad back then)) the jumper was basically the Prison Bars!
Most clubs have pretty good clash jumpers in 2023 as well, there's probably only 3 or 4 that don't if I had to guess without looking aren't good.

1678859146009.png
Collingwood and Port are not comparable AT ALL in this situation either lmao, Collingwood's 3rd most recent flag in 1997 was in 1953, Port's was in 1994. That level of success as well as the smaller amount of teams in the SANFL easily lead to Port having a ginormous market share that dwarfed the other clubs rather than Collingwood having the biggest fan base in the VFL but it still being relatively close to Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, etc. Even when you look at the 2 franchise model of WA as opposed to the 1 franchise + 1 club model of SA, there's 2 main factors that mean we are on a similar level to Adelaide compared to how Freo exist as a smaller club than WCE.
1. Adelaide had 6 years as the sole team in SA, West Coast had 8. This is small but relevant. The bigger factor is
2. WE HAD A PRE-EXISTING HISTORY OF SUCCESS! EVEN MORE RECENTLY THAN COLLINGWOOD DID AT THE TIME! It's not a coincidence Wanganeen, Hodges, etc. all came back and so many past players are still involved with the club. They didn't just go "ooh shiny teal power!!!!!", they are what makes the club great and what needs to be celebrated jfc.

1678858939377.png
I know this obviously is paraphrased and shortened but I am very sceptical that this went anything at all like this, like seriously what is he waffling on about? And even if the club was taking the misguided approach of avoiding the pre-AFL identity and heritage, it doesn't mean it was the right thing to do back then and it's even more important now that kids born in 1997 are turning 26 this year, the memory of such success needs to live on for future generations.

In conclusion, EAD Eddie 🖕

Eddie has an opinion on the jumper we wear?

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1629784

This is spicy stuff from Ed.

Eddie has the brain of a turnip

Sturt, Norwood and no doubt others wanted to join the AFL, so the concept Port was an orphan is lunacy.

Port had the biggest supporter base and I don't believe South Adelaide supporters actually exist.......well I have never met one. There are a few that make that claim on the internet but I'd suggest it is as real as a nigerian telling me I won the lotto.

The Magpie issue is a no brainer. The AFL isn't tassie where more than one side has the same name. Power was chosen as it resonated with youth.

The teal was added to broaden the supporter base...........but

who the F is Collingwood to think they are the master of Port Adelaide Football club. Who the F thinks times don't change. Who the F doesn't recognise the value to Port, the league and that includes the Pies in Port wearing the PBs.

I like our current guernsey but I want to wear the PBs when ever the club feels like doing so in any state of Australia and against any opposition it wants to. I wouldn't support the PBs being worn against the Pies out of respect and I wouldn't want to wear the PBs where we create a clash (the blues, cats etc).

Port needs to demand equity from the AFL and the AFL need to work out if they are the AFL or the Eddie's bitch. We are fortunate to have a decent bloke at the helm of the pies who is at least open to respectful discussions. Well done!

I find the timeline on all Ed's rubbish askew the watering down of the brand was more in the dire years before people woke the fukc up.

That one-off teal guernsey cash grab game in his mind is the TEAL IS THEIR COLOUR forever moment. Ridiculous.

I know this obviously is paraphrased and shortened but I am very sceptical that this went anything at all like this, like seriously what is he waffling on about?

This sounds like a redux of his recollection of the 2002 game at Footy Park.

The AFL were beginning to step out of the dark ages regarding guernsey clashes, and to that point Collingwood hadn’t really played ball — insisting on wearing their all black socks against us in away games.

So Port began to resist, saying hey, it’s our home game, this is garbage.

Long story short, after much too’ing and fro’ing and Choco blowing up during a coverage Ed was on, “it’s about time you blokes changed!, McGuire helped wrangle a one-off deal with blue m&m’s revealed on The Footy Show, and we wore the ‘teal training top’.

It’s always a conflation of half-truths, misrememberings and utter bullsh¡t with him.

I find the timeline on all Ed's rubbish askew the watering down of the brand was more in the dire years before people woke the fukc up.

That one-off teal guernsey cash grab game in his mind is the TEAL IS THEIR COLOUR forever moment. Ridiculous.

Yep. The wider belief he’s chained himself to that ‘Port Power were charging away from the Port Magpies at 100 miles an hour!’ is absurd.

As we all know, the divorce was an ultimatum as part of the license conditions which were stringently enforced and not at all what we wanted.

As late as 2009 we had to get special dispensation from the SANFL to hold a Power-Magpies trial game at Family Day, and even after the OneClub merger the club copped a warning for allowing Tony Bamford (Maggies coach) to spend time in Matthew Primus’ coaches box during a preseason game lol.

Yep. The wider belief he’s chained himself to that ‘Port Power were charging away from the Port Magpies at 100 miles an hour!’ is absurd.

As we all know, the divorce was an ultimatum as part of the license conditions which were stringently enforced and not at all what we wanted.

As late as 2009 we had to get special dispensation from the SANFL to hold a Power-Magpies trial game at Family Day, and even after the OneClub merger the club copped a warning for allowing Tony Bamford (Maggies coach) to spend time in Matthew Primus’ coaches box during a preseason game lol.

The "you guys love teal now" argument is insane given if we weren't forced to make a change, we'd have worn the bars for every home game at AFL level. Every guernsey decision we've made has been a massive compromise on our part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back