Most Disappointing Misses

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Port v Melbourne
Friday, 7:20pm at Adelaide Oval
Played: 32
Record: 19-0-13
Last time they met: Melbourne defeated Port Adelaide 88-65 at the MCG

So, here's the thing, right? I had planned to do a mildly amusing, Jack Watts-focused preview for this game. It was going to say something along the lines of 'Great departures in human history' and have a 3 little blurbs in a countdown, with 3 being the Wright Brothers departing and discovering flight, 2 being Captain Cook departing and discovering Australia, and the hilarious punchline being "Jack Watts departs Melbourne, discovers 2018 Premiership". It would've been great. Well, maybe not great, but it would've been ok.

But with big Wattsy dropped, and none of our contingent of former Demons likely to play, whats the point of it all?

giphy.gif
I've just stumbled on 4 references to The Sound of Silence in the last 5 minutes, all in completely unrelated places. Glitch in the matrix? Or too many Kit-Kats?

My issue is I've felt we've been in a really similar situation the past 3 seasons, and coughed up games like this time and time again. Melbourne out at 2.55 are incredibly tasty odds.
Based on past events, I can't see us winning this.

To be honest I think we need to put as much vocal pressure on Melbourne as we can

This team isn’t used to playing big finals like games yet IMO I’m not saying its the be all and end all but we need 45-50k angry port fans not the 26k who rocked up against the bullies.

In a tight one it might just get into their heads

Plus I think Goodwin is a campaigner so in love with himself he has his own farts scented cologne to apply each morning with a side serve of bath water, so the chance to abuse his team is appealing to me

Last edited:
Give us a spell sock thruster it's a common theme throughout his tenure I don't give a **** about the odd against the grain selection.
> Gets proven wrong
> Kicks and screams and claims facts are irrelevant to forming an opinion

No worries.

> Gets proven wrong
> Kicks and screams and claims facts are irrelevant to forming an opinion

No worries.
Nah tongue firmly in cheek at least with the sock :) Thomas better perform Watts should've come in.

Was a bit disappointed to receive KT's email just now.

Subject line: A club defining weekend

Disappointed as it turned out the subject referred to the past weekend. It should be the coming weekend.

This is the type of game that could set up our second half of the year.

This is the type of game that we have choked time and time again.
Yep, we keep approaching these games as fans saying here is our chance. It'll be different this time, but every time it is the same. Im not sure what is different this time, but again we reach one of these moments when the chance is there to consolidate top 8 and really reach toward top 4, also the supporters are ready to start emotionally investing in this team, we just need the one win to consolidate it.

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that this time is different and that finally we will get the result we desperately need as a club for our season and for our supporter base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, we keep approaching these games as fans saying here is our chance. It'll be different this time, but every time it is the same. Im not sure what is different this time, but again we reach one of these moments when the chance is there to consolidate top 8 and really reach toward top 4, also the supporters are ready to start emotionally investing in this team, we just need the one win to consolidate it.

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that this time is different and that finally we will get the result we desperately need as a club for our season and for our supporter base.
In the Richmond game I saw a strength in the team.
In the Bulldogs game I saw an arrogance.
I think they have turned the corner.

In the Richmond game I saw a strength in the team.
In the Bulldogs game I saw an arrogance.
I think they have turned the corner.
True, there were some great signs, but this will be the real test. One game we had issues in F50, one game issues with our defence. If we can get it all ticking, with our improving ball movement then look out, but thats still the same sort of 'if' weve rolled out time and again over the last few years.

Win this week though and absolutely the perception and belief changes. Especially with the opportunity staring us in the face of Carlton and the Saints in the following weeks. 11-4 Is not a pipe dream.

Melbourne at Adelaide Oval.

2017: Beat Crows by 41 points.
2016: Beat Port by 40 points.
2015: Lost to Crows by 25 points.
2014: Beat Crows by 3 points then lost to Port by 3 points.
2011: Lost to Port by 8 points.

2-1 vs Crows
1-2 vs Port

A couple of notes: Melbourne have done well over here the last 2 years, Melbourne have shown massive improvement this season, Will the Lever injury help us enough for both Dixon and Marshall to have a big impact on the game?

Melbourne at Adelaide Oval.

2017: Beat Crows by 41 points.
2016: Beat Port by 40 points.
2015: Lost to Crows by 25 points.
2014: Beat Crows by 3 points then lost to Port by 3 points.
2011: Lost to Port by 8 points.

2-1 vs Crows
1-2 vs Port

A couple of notes: Melbourne have done well over here the last 2 years, Melbourne have shown massive improvement this season, Will the Lever injury help us enough for both Dixon and Marshall to have a big impact on the game?

They've always done well at AO for some reason, even when they were down the bottom of the ladder in 2014. Ironic considering they were always one of the worst travelling teams to Footy Park.

Anyway, they'll come out pretty confident on Friday night so we need to start well to put some doubt in their minds early.

See Essendon game V Port last year, see St Kilda game V us last year.

Some teams set up on the outside and basically just tag, they force fumbles and turnovers, and when it spills to the outside the opposition is already there and runs away with it. Much easier to spread when you have it on the outside and your team mates all already hold that outside position.

That's not 'winning the ball first' though, that's allowing them first crack at the contest and winning it back.

No. It is possible both to defend with possession (chipchipping) and to attack without the ball (forward pressure).

Yes... but the actual act of winning the ball first, not allowing the other team to get touch, is an offensive move.

Melbourne by 25 in a "Port were in touch for 80% of the game" type encounter.
Your depressing predictions of our eminent demise are almost becoming a highlight.

Hopefully now Shower Fapper is gone the cloud will lift :).

Your depressing predictions of our eminent demise are almost becoming a highlight.

Hopefully now Shower Fapper is gone the cloud will lift :).

Lol as if you can trust them, man. Will be interesting as both sides don't win big games. This game will be like dividing by zero.

Season defining game for sure. Win this and our next month looks to build nicely. #### the insipid game against hawks still p****** me off. We need to continue strong form in contested footy and clearances. They belted us first 1.5 quarters last year in this area. Hope we remember and destroy them in this part of game. Bonus if Jonas back - we missed him.

We need to be loud and make them feel every bit of pain Friday night.

Last edited:
Lol as if you can trust them, man. Will be interesting as both sides don't win big games. This game will be like dividing by zero.
It's all well and good to be better than a below average crow side. But it's not why this club exists. We want flags and the coaches/players need to start delivering. This is the perfect game for them to step up. They just have to.

Still don't trust us, so wouldn't be surprised either way for this one. My 15, 16, 17 PTSD still yet to subside given some reminders of it already this year.

Back