Portland Trail Blazers Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was checking the scores at work, saw that we were up by 7 about half way through the first and presumed it was our normal line up. Some shock to see it was with Napier and Connaughton starting.

Think its 50-50 as to wether the Bosnian beast suits up for Game 1 at the Oracle, Personally we should take a no risk approach as we aren't winning the series anyways.

CJ and Dame were immense. CJs first half offense was crazy and I actually thought he did a great job defensively. If this team can just be competitive and head into the offseason with some momentum and positive energy i think thats about a best case scenario after we were 11 games under .500. Definitely feels like we've turned a corner and realistically if we played at this level for the season we'd be in the mix for the 3-6 seeds and avoiding these campaigners first up.

Shitty timing with the fixturing - wish we had the late game so I could've watched it. Might get a chance with game 3 and 4 I guess.

Other than the start of the 4th looks like we matched them the whole way.

Draymond is still the biggest flog in the NBA without a doubt. The commentators jizzing themselves over his block on Lillard in the 4th - the guy is what, 8 inches taller than Lillard, any player that tall in that position in the key should be getting a block.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today is very likely the final game of our season, who do we view the season all up ?

Disappointing, but unlucky we had to face the super team in playoffs.

Don't know how we can get much better either with our cap the way it is now.

Today is very likely the final game of our season, who do we view the season all up ?

Predictable end to the season given the players would have been flat as a tack after giving up the big lead in game 3.

From a basketball sense this season has to be viewed as a disappointment given we have the second highest payroll in the league and we only managed to go at .500 during the regular season. Unfortunately, we have too many players who are FAR overpaid for the contributions they bring (Leonard, Turner & Crabbe cost us $45 million per season!). CJ and Dame are flat out stars and the only way we should ever consider trading one is for another all star in return, likely a wing so that we can spread the talent out rather than it just being in our guards.

The game changer for this team and the reason I won't consider this season an utter failure is the trade for Nurk. During FA last year we went all out to get ourselves that superstar big man but failed with Dwight and Whiteside turning us down. Luckily, it appears we only had to wait another 55 games and Olshey has managed to turn Plumlee into the centre this team can build around for the next 5 years.

Moving forward, I think our glaring issues are our salary cap situation, our lack of talent in the big man department Nurk aside, and our lack of shooting from the wings. With this being the case, my offseason priorities would be as follows:

1) Clear the salaries of Turner and Leonard. Leonard is just flat out not NBA standard and Turner's lack of shooting makes him pretty ineffective in our offense. Nothing worse than watching Dame to collapse the defense only for Turner's corner three to hit the side of the backboard.

2) Use our remaining pick(s) (assuming we need to use 1 or 2 to get rid of the guys above) to draft a PF/C. There should be a bunch of guys available at pick 15 that can come in and provide some solid rotation minutes straight away. I am hoping Ed Davis will bounce back and get over his injuries and provide some solid back up minutes. He was one of the best rebounders off the bench last year and we have really missed his production in the second unit.

3) Use some or all of the contracts of Aminu, Harkless, Vonleh, Napier and our future picks to look for a trade for some better wing shooting and play making. Harkless and Aminu provide great defense but they give us absolutely nothing offensively and we can't expect the compete with the upper echelon teams if we only have 2 guys who can consistently score. I'm not talking about a Jimmy Butler or PG type wing, but we need someone with a Batum type skill set.

I think some of these moves will help to balance out the roster. It's a pity we are completely handcuffed by our cruddy cap situation but hopefully Olshey can make some shrewd moves using the few positive contracts we do have.

The Crabbe, Turner & Meyers contracts are just seriously depressing.

Can live with Crabbe as it was either match or lose him and that would have hurt. He's now overpaid but he can still be an important part of the team moving forward. The Turner and Leonard contracts have to be moved though and both were big mistakes.

Great summary Swan4Brownlow. Agreed with just about everything. I'd like to keep Aminu and I really like Vonleh as well.

I think we underestimate how much the injuries to our bigs caused us issues. Ezeli never played (and sounds like he won't), we missed chunks of games from Nurk, Aminu, and Davis.

Some of our players really tired. Mo didn't hit a shot in the last 2 games and finished shooting 29% for the playoffs. Turner shot 36%. Even CJ only shot 40%. The less said about Meyers, the better.

Oh well, we aint no orphans by being eliminated by the best team in the league.

I think we underestimate how much the injuries to our bigs caused us issues. Ezeli never played (and sounds like he won't), we missed chunks of games from Nurk, Aminu, and Davis.

Some of our players really tired. Mo didn't hit a shot in the last 2 games and finished shooting 29% for the playoffs. Turner shot 36%. Even CJ only shot 40%. The less said about Meyers, the better.

Oh well, we aint no orphans by being eliminated by the best team in the league.

Oshley has confirmed he wont be on the roster next year at the exit interviews.

Have you watched Meyers exit Interview ? Bloke basically isn't mentally strong enough to make it in the NBA.
What's amazing is it isn't like Meyers wasn't displaying this type of thing the previous 4 years he was on the roster. Yet Olshey went and gave him 4/40 which was reportedly down from a figure of 16 mil per that was floating around when they were trying to extend Meyers. Seriously WTF was he thinking?! His contract is probably harder to move than Turner's or Crabbe's despite being 6-8 mil cheaper.

What's amazing is it isn't like Meyers wasn't displaying this type of thing the previous 4 years he was on the roster. Yet Olshey went and gave him 4/40 which was reportedly down from a figure of 16 mil per that was floating around when they were trying to extend Meyers. Seriously WTF was he thinking?! His contract is probably harder to move than Turner's or Crabbe's despite being 6-8 mil cheaper.

Yeah Its just strange how much Oshley loves him. Meyers said in his interview his season had " ups and downs" I'd love to ask him when the ups were as I must have missed them.

Brandon Roy shot, at least it wasn't fatal and he is recovering in hospital apparently. Still upsets me how we never got to see how good Brandon was going to be in his prime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back