Autopsy Positives and Negatives: Up the Bloody Coasters edition

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 556963
Career-defining game from Sheed.
Stinker from Masten
Depends how much credence you put in those ratings re: Masten.

For the Rd 21 Hawthorn vs. Geelong game, James Worpel had 23p it what was widely regarded as a breakout game for him, most reporters rated him in Hawthorn's bests (some had him BOG) and his performance earnt him coaches votes.

AFL Player Ratings? Ranked him 3rd worst on ground for the match.

Sam Weideman's match on the weekend was rated BOG by the coaches (and some reporters) - 11th best Demon according to the ratings and the match wasn't a season best despite it being the most influential game in his career and setting career or season bests in multiple categories (possessions, marks, contested marks, goals).

Congratulations on the win. Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match - if you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

There were 25 bounces

Yeo 22 (1w)
Redden 20 (14i, 6w)
Shuey 20
Hutchings 18 wing (2i)
Sheed 17 (4w)
Cripps 12 wing
Masten 9 wing
Rioli 5
Jetta 1 wing
Venables 1 wing

Rucks:
Lycett 9
Vardy 16

Breakdowns - seeing it was a close game I've done things a little differently

1st Half - 15 Bounces

Yeo 13 (1w)
Redden 12 (8i, 4w)
Sheed 12 (8i, 4w)
Shuey 11
Hutchings 9 wing (1i)
Masten 8 wing
Rioli 5
Cripps 3 wing
Jetta 1 wing
Venables 1 wing

Rucks:
Lycett 6
Vardy 9

Final Term - 6 Bounces

Hutchings 6 wing
Yeo 6
Cripps 5 wing
Shuey 5
Redden 4
Sheed 3
Masten 1 wing

Rucks:
Lycett 3
Vardy 3

Notes:
- Virtually identical ruck breakdown to the Rd 23 game with Lycett starting the game in the ruck, but being the one to spend more time forward. Lycett didn't attend a single bounce in the 3rd, not even the opening one as he did for the other 3.
- Masten moved back after half time to fill the vacant 7th defender role.

I wonder if Lycett is fully fit.
He's out of contract with us at conclusion of finals and, even if he's going to Port, he wouldn't have a contract with them yet.
If he gets a bad or career ending injury he is basically in no mans land. Why should he put himself in harms way?

Noticed on the weekend Slyce getting outmuscled pretty easily by Grundy.

Just need him to dig deep and come out with a tad more aggression.

Exacto mundo! This what Lecras was alluding too..
I'm no expert and don't pretend to be, but do know there's a lot more going on than we're privy too...just get frustrated with the never-ending call for players to be dropped, when most of those players have gone on to play well or provide a solid role and reliable link in the team chain...or the constant call to blood youth (in finals even??), often the young player comes in and performs underdone, then is called to be dropped..damned if you do, damned if you don't...fortunately the coaches and players seem to know what they're doing, as you said 17 from 23, in deep finals, doing something right?
In case some people don't know the FONZ ...
df72c2e9f2f6497effff82f0ffffe904.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Duggan can be pretty spudly but that was a good tackle he laid on Adams that directly caused the Jetta goal.

I remember how rubbish Shep was at Duggans age and it gives me hope he can turn it around. Definitely does some positive stuff.

His attack on the ball, his tackling and his courage can’t be questioned. He is still young and will improve other aspects of his game. Future star.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's out of contract with us at conclusion of finals and, even if he's going to Port, he wouldn't have a contract with them yet.
If he gets a bad or career ending injury he is basically in no mans land. Why should he put himself in harms way?
something to be said about ensuring all major contracts are done by August isn't it.

I though in the stopages in the final quarter we were excellent, i agree 2nd and 3rd quarter we got smashed around the ball
Yes we did get smashed in the 2nd and 3rd quarter but if this was 2017 and 2016 they would run all over the top of us. We did two very important things
(a) Halt the pies momentum, they were coming and we prevented them from scoring. How a team halts momentum is equally as important. Sam Mitchell said that this is what they used to do at the Hawks. When a team gets on a roll, they used to blunt them;

(b) Made our move: We halted their momentum and then went bang in the 4th quarter.

Thoughts from the game
+ Up the bloody coasters!
+ This team has matured so much, no longer are we a team that gets overrun, we are the ones doing the overrunning. Gives me so much confidence even when we are behind during the game that we can surge, as we did in the last quarter
+ Yeo played a brilliant game. 36 disposals, 6 marks, 9 tackles. Beast
+ Mason Cox was supposed to make Collingwood's forward line about 10 times better, and from what I have seen throughout the season he has been marking everything inside 50. Barrass completely nullified Cox, a monumental effort from him. Cox was restricted to just 5 disposals, 2 marks on the wing and no score. Props to Barrass
+ McGovern was great not just in the first quarter in my view. He was marking everything all night. Stopped many Collingwood attacks
+ Kennedy got going eventually. He was fractions off taking marks for the first three quarters, and it was good to see him get his eye in late on. Very important for our finals series. Could have had 6
+ Redden :fire:
+ Tom Cole take a bow. When Shepperd went off with his hamstring, I thought we were in serious trouble due to the threat of De Goey. Another brilliant job at blanketing the influence of a Collingwood forward. Cole was also more than handy around the ground
+ Sheed kicking that snap goal on his right foot. Certainly showed the bloke sitting behind me who thought nothing would come of it because he's a left footer
+ Rioli run down tackles :thumbsu:
+ Jetta is so mercurial
+ The ruck and clearance battles were always going to decide how the game would play out. We saw that during the second quarter, when Grundy gained the ascendancy and the contest swung in Collingwood's favour. However, apart from this period of the game, Lycett and Vardy were superb in curbing Grundy's influence both in the ruck and around the ground. Part of what made Gawn so damaging against us was that he was impacting the contest not just through hit-outs, but also taking marks on the wing . There was none of that from Grundy, so kudos to Lycett and Vardy
+ So many positives

- I think I might have seen Masten once. But I might have mistaken him for someone else. Was missing in action
- I felt that LeCras didn't provide enough last night.
- Venables had a poor night. Had a few almost moments
- SHEPTEMBER MAY BE OVER :(
This sums it up pretty well, Ryan's gut running in the last quarter between the Arcs to get the ball run at pace, sprint and his touch AWESOME

He gave them some sort of spray at 3 quarter time.

And i am stoked he did too, we need at least one headkicker in the coaches box.

If i have one criticism of Simpson is that he's a bit too nice. I have never personally seen nor read about him ever spraying the boys. Ever.

If Mitchell is the nominal "bad cop" we'll take it.

And i am stoked he did too, where need at least one headkicker in the coaches box.

If i have one criticism of Simpson is that he's a bit too nice. I have never personally seen nor read about him ever spraying the boys. Ever.

If Mitchell is the nominal "bad cop" we'll take it.
Yep no argument from me, and the boys love him, Yeo, Redden, Sheed are all playing fantastic footy for a reason. Same goes for Masto

Yes we did get smashed in the 2nd and 3rd quarter but if this was 2017 and 2016 they would run all over the top of us. We did two very important things
(a) Halt the pies momentum, they were coming and we prevented them from scoring. How a team halts momentum is equally as important. Sam Mitchell said that this is what they used to do at the Hawks. When a team gets on a roll, they used to blunt them;

(b) Made our move: We halted their momentum and then went bang in the 4th quarter.
I think we were somewhat lucky that Collingwood had a few underdone players that ran out of juice as well. However we had a couple of our own.

But if we come up against Richmond, we can’t expect them to lose energy in the last quarter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back