Autopsy Post 2021 Grand Final Western Bulldogs game review, the good the bad and the ugly, come talk about it here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad isn't it? It's like the 40 year old virgin who finally breaks their duck and doesn't shut up about it despite the fact everyone else in the room has been there, done that years ago.
Apparently they will only stop trolling us when we stop because we started it .. btw that's on their banter thread.. it's like they created a banter thread then hated having any banter. They wanted to say whatever they wanted with no right of reply

Weightman and Hannan spent the last 10 minutes of the game on the bench.

Naughts and Smith also struggled after coming back from concussions

I think its emerging more and more that concussion has a longer recovery time than we've thought in the past. When Cody's head hit the ground I thought the coaches would have pulled him off the ground.

Apparently they will only stop trolling us when we stop because we started it .. btw that's on their banter thread.. it's like they created a banter thread then hated having any banter. They wanted to say whatever they wanted with no right of reply

When do we mention the tanking?

The more and more I reflect on the 3rd quarter, the more my heart breaks.

I hope the dogs come back from this.

They’re a group that seems very good at separating a bad performance from their identity as a team. They seem to define themselves by the good consistent way they play rather than the down patches. I’m more concerned about other clubs having natural improvement and catching up a bit, so the pressure will be on us to also grow and improve.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, I must say I had a great laugh at that. To act like he was monstered by Daniel of all players was particularly funny. If the Demons had lost then I think that moment would have followed Gawn around for the rest of his career. Alas, I stopped laughing soon after though.

The worst thing was BT claiming Daniel had sniped him, then when the replay clearly showed Gawn dove, never said anything it was low by BT, I usually like him but he was aggressively one-sided in his call last night.

They didn't like it.

Apparently it didn't help build this list at all

The way I see it is Scully (tanking year) - then compo for losing him - Hogan - parlayed into Jackson and Pickett. That's just the start. They had Roos and Jackson parachuted in by the AFL, but hey, they can gloss over that 😂

The worst thing was BT claiming Daniel had sniped him, then when the replay clearly showed Gawn dove, never said anything it was low by BT, I usually like him but he was aggressively one-sided in his call last night.

The best part is we don't have to put up with the whole bull**** sympathy for them ever again. It's over.

Yep really lost our way in there yesterday. Spitballing here but maybe our mid depth is also our weakness because there are too many rotations and set ups to perfect and master?

Dees have more quality , we have more quantity . The latter doesn’t always best the former.

Just a thought that brought a grin to my face on an otherwise abysmal day: St Kilda had the number one draft pick in 2014 and said 'yeah nah' to Christian Petracca.

Hey, in my current mood, I'll take any feel-good story I can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it is Scully (tanking year) - then compo for losing him - Hogan - parlayed into Jackson and Pickett. That's just the start. They had Roos and Jackson parachuted in by the AFL, but hey, they can gloss over that 😂

On top of the literal and admitted tanking. Receiving 2 first rounders for Scully when we got one for Ward was a joke, then a first round compo for Frawley was a disgrace!

Don't think journos and broadcasters realise how much their 'barracking for the story' is a turnoff for readers and viewers. A bit of balance isn't much to ask.

In the last decade, we've seen the quality of journalism, per se, take an alarming nosedive. Football journalism has basically followed that trend.

At the newsagent yesterday, a nifty cartoon of Bailey Smith on the front page of the Herald Sun caught my eye. Not even the enticement of a colourful grand final souvenir tempted me to purchase that turd of a rag. Sad.

Yep really lost our way in there yesterday. Spitballing here but maybe our mid depth is also our weakness because there are too many rotations and set ups to perfect and master?

I think it can be a weakness and maybe too is because it keeps out a west/Garcia etc who may be able to be that more defensive minded mid.

The more and more I reflect on the 3rd quarter, the more my heart breaks.

I hope the dogs come back from this.

I can’t believe how down I am about it. I was over the past two EF losses a few hours afterwards, I’ve felt close to distraught the past 24 hours. That’s maybe slightly hyperbolic but I really haven’t got anywhere near getting over it.

I think it’s the hope that did it - 19 points up, Bont firming for the NS and Treloar had played a critical role getting us back in the game. We were up without any of our forwards really doing much, and surely they’d kick one or two soon. My nine and seven year olds were going to see a flag (too young in 2016). Then bang, centre clearance after centre clearance and goals raining down.

In hindsight it was predictable - virtually all of us knew the lack of a competent ruck would kill us, and we had the evidence of the late season fade out. Then the complete lack of setting up defensively at the centre bounces - I can only think the coaches and players were shell shocked because it took way too long to react and by the time they did the game was long gone.

I will be happy for real dees fans (not the few parasites who are graceless campaigners all over the MB) soon, they deserve their happiness and I hope they enjoy it. But this will take a while to recover from at this rate.

In the last decade, we've seen the quality of journalism, per se, take an alarming nosedive. Football journalism has basically followed that trend.

At the newsagent yesterday, a nifty cartoon of Bailey Smith on the front page of the Herald Sun caught my eye. Not even the enticement of a colourful grand final souvenir tempted me to purchase that turd of a rag. Sad.

Spot on. It's gone from research and fact based reporting to basically opinion based drivel. I don't give a toss about the personal views of some nerd journalist who last played in the under 12Bs. Just give me the straight up facts and do your research.

As for the broadcasters (I'm looking at you Taylor and Brayshaw) go back and listen to Grybas and Cometti and even Bruce. Just call the game as it happens and call fairly. You shouldn't care who wins or loses.

I think we can all take that advice. We've got enough trolls on the outside hating us and revelling in this loss without us turning on our own. We all love the club.
I agree. Not necessary at the end of the day. If you have been here through thick and thin you have my respect and will get a complete reprieve no matter what you post even if I completely disagree with it.

I was hurt and was looking for answers and am sure most here were too. Troll laughing at a serious post from a very shitty time is terrible form.

I can’t believe how down I am about it. I was over the past two EF losses a few hours afterwards, I’ve felt close to distraught the past 24 hours. That’s maybe slightly hyperbolic but I really haven’t got anywhere near getting over it.

I think it’s the hope that did it - 19 points up, Bont firming for the NS and Treloar had played a critical role getting us back in the game. We were up without any of our forwards really doing much, and surely they’d kick one or two soon. My nine and seven year olds were going to see a flag (too young in 2016). Then bang, centre clearance after centre clearance and goals raining down.

In hindsight it was predictable - virtually all of us knew the lack of a competent ruck would kill us, and we had the evidence of the late season fade out. Then the complete lack of setting up defensively at the centre bounces - I can only think the coaches and players were shell shocked because it took way too long to react and by the time they did the game was long gone.

I will be happy for real dees fans (not the few parasites who are graceless campaigners all over the MB) soon, they deserve their happiness and I hope they enjoy it. But this will take a while to recover from at this rate.

It's still fresh and raw, but as the week goes forward, the caravan will move on. I agree had we not got three goals clear and been behind all night it would have been significantly easier, but it is what it is.

We'll get another chance soon I have no doubt about that, the talent is there and it's coming through in waves. JUH, Darcy coming in, Naughton, Bailey Smith, Weightman, West, Garcia on top of Bont, Libba, Treloar and Macrae and Keath to name a few and the building blocks are there. Need the recruiting team to get to work now.

The way we lost absolutely sucks, particularly with the way we simply gave up once the Dees had piled 5-6 in a row and had all the momentum.

But thinking it over again, we had the worst hand of everyone in it, we had to travel everywhere in and out of quarantine and win right out and ended up falling a quarter and a half short.

Hope the boys take the positives in and not drop their heads, learn from it, use it as motivation to go one better and redeem themselves.

Since Bevos came in we've won a flag and 2 prelims, the loss absolutely sucks, but it's far from the lowest ebb, I think winning a few finals under Bevo has helped bigtime. 1997 and 2009 were easily the most heartbreaking defeats for me, for my Dad it was 1985, 1994 QF and 1997 for him (I wasn't born yet in 85 and was only 6 in 94 and only just started watching footy, so the reality of that loss for me was minimal at the time, compared to as a 9yo in 97 when I knew we were ahead all day and blew it)

We'd have to seriously look at the Sweet-English combination next year. Hopefully Jordan can take it to the next level.
I thought Jordan Sweet was very good when he played earlier in the season. The coaching staff obviously have him working on something to improve his game.
Maybe next year he will get a bigger run at it.

Bont should take note and thank the fans first in his speeches moving forward (they are the soul of the game, the bill-payers, everything). Instead he thanked the AFL and Toyota first then forgot to thank or even acknowledge anything about Dogs fans there or in lockdown.

If you are going to forget to thank someone make it the AFL or Toyota, not your adoring fans doing it tough who just watched an 18 to 1 goal capitulation.

Obviously it was an oversight but it was a pretty big one!

Seriously?

We got thumped by 74 points in a GF and you are worried about Bont forgetting to mention something in a meaningless thank you send off?

Heya Dogs fans. Just wanted to congratulate your side on a great year. Was really hoping to see you get up, Bont may be my favourite non-Eagle and I know some people related to JJ (that mark!), plus Naughton is a gun.

Most of you wouldn't have felt this feeling before, but take solace that you're in a position to. Losing a grand final SUCKS but you were there. And 2016 is still pretty damn fresh, I'm sure.

Hopefully you all have some perspective. I was devastated after 2005 (and I lived 92 and 94 flags), so much so that 2006 was more just a relief than something to be excited about. 2015 sucked but being older, it was just a s**t day. 2018 was pure ecstasy.

Definitely know you'll be up there again (maybe take 2022 off, I'd like to see my boys snag another before they age out and fall off a cliff, but tbh 2018 was pretty damn satisfying that I'll be pretty content nonetheless).

Take care!

The way we lost absolutely sucks, particularly with the way we simply gave up once the Dees had piled 5-6 in a row and had all the momentum.

But thinking it over again, we had the worst hand of everyone in it, we had to travel everywhere in and out of quarantine and win right out and ended up falling a quarter and a half short.

This was something that really spiked my curiosity (and I may be completely wrong here) but it looked like a number of the Dogs players heads started to drop a bit around that time. I'm not saying they threw the towel in but there wasn't the same level of desperation as we'd seen in the second quarter that got them back into the match.

Some players looked like they weren't chasing as hard as they should have been which in turn, didn't put the ball carrier under any pressure at all. This seemed to be (from my observations on the TV that is) the breaking point in the match and I really wonder what may have happened had they been able to match that level of intensity at that time. We've all seen teams mount comebacks but if the team in front matches it for long enough, the losing team runs out of puff and belief and in turn, falls away.

Was it because the Dogs players were a little more tired than expected or just trying to conserve energy to see out the whole match ??

To be fair, the Dogs players were given a gruelling round-the-world trip for a finals campaign so maybe it just got the better of them ??

It must be said, that was the first & only time this year that I have seen them do it but naturally, I don't watch all of your games given I follow another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back