Autopsy Post 2021 Grand Final Western Bulldogs game review, the good the bad and the ugly, come talk about it here!

Remove this Banner Ad

The only player out of that lot who did bugger all was Hannan, what is Cordy supposed to do when the midfield lets the Dees mids stroll it out time and time again?

JJ and Smith were among our best for the night
Cordy could try by not running under the ball allowing Brown and Jackson take uncontested marks. He does it all the time.

Yeh take it easy mate , just an observation and pretty hard to argue with .
Dogs played well for 2.5 quarters, I thought they had it in the bag after that run of goals from the Bont .
Was a great game to watch up till 3 quarter time .

PS . We know we are sh*t , no ones pretending otherwise.

As you can see we are all hurting in here, and a bit touchy, give us another week.

I am trying to look at the year as a successful year. Missing out on the top four hurt and while yes it was partly due to our form slump, which I suspect had something to do with ramped up training schedule for us, let’s not forget that incompetent or corrupt Brisbane timekeeper who managed to get Brisbane into fourth spot.

I think the motivation that Bevo brought got us up through the finals, but the last month was exhausting and was no match for a rested, Melbourne team motivated to break a premiership drought.

I feel for the boys, everyone will forget what they were put through, they faced difficulties no other team faced and it is hard not to feel that the dice was loaded against them. The injury toll, the travel, the quarantine rules placed on them, the lack of support from the AFL is telling, I don’t think they should have agreed with those quarantine requirements in SA.

Bont came second in a Brownlow on 33 votes, any other year he would have been a clear winner. He came second for goal of the year. However he won MVP from the players and the MVP captain.
We won three interstate finals, any other year one would have been the Grand Final in our home state.
We played 41 players throughout the year, in the long run we will gain from this through fast tracked development.
We didnt just beat teams we smashed them and in the process broke a few records for us.
Our hoodoo teams were beaten.
Our leading goal kicker was in the running for the Coleman for most of the year.

All of this tells me, that we are not going anywhere, bring on 2022.

I think the supporters who haven’t seen success for a long, long, time like Richmond and Melbourne let it go to their heads, they are on top of the world, and think they will be there forever. it ends very quickly. Absolute quedos to Doggies who kept it in check, we were all class.

I will say my social media feeds were more pleasant with the Dees winning than when Hawthorn and Collingwood won their flags.

We like all teams have to look at how the Dees have been able to run out games at the business end of the season while other teams have been running in quicksand. I know we had a hard road and would have something to do with running out of steam. There was more than that they ran all over other teams the cats from 44 points down in round 23. Were full of running against the lions, smashed the cats in the last half of the prelim and completely destroyed us. Yes they were the best team but they must be doing something in the fitness area to do this to the opposition in the last half games.

Last edited:
Did any of us do that in 2016?** Sure, both sides are cocky before the game but afterwards, just enjoy your win, praise your players, and the losers can please themselves. Unless you’re Sydney 😂.

**maybe some did…
Yeah, and I still recall it clear as day. Right after the siren about half a dozen Dogs supporters came to our autopsy thread to tell us to "Eat sh!t" and "Hope it hurts" etc. Thing is, I think it's unfair and ridiculous to judge clubs by the very worst of their supporters. I was proud of our effort to the final siren that day and turned to my Dogs supporting mate in the stands and gave him a hug because I knew how much it meant to him break a long and painful drought, having been through it myself before 2005. He'd had family members who'd lived and died without seeing their beloved team get a flag, which really puts things into perspective.

So glad he's suspended. This board was so much better when he disappeared for a month to deal with his "personal issues." Hope its a lifetime suspension and we never have to read his self-absorbed drivel again.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Mate, you're an absolute legend. I envy the people that have never met MD.
I get p!ssed off when OUR BF posters have hot takes and bag the crap out of our team without facts. The awful comments after the Port loss at the end of the season, where some posters stated we were pathetic and not worth watching in the 1st Elimination.

A factual review of the season, we improved so much from 2020, top 2 for most of the season and we still have a potential top 3 F/S Darcy lined up in the draft.
We also have Sammy P and Chris Grant, I feel so happy saying that, the dogs are in safe hands.

It's ok to criticise and make rational/factual comments, but when they become vial and are constantly directed at specific players, then the question has to be asked??
Why do you support this awesome team, a team I have loved for so long.
You have choices, you can always support another if this club makes you feel so angry.

We like all teams have to look at how the Dees have been able to run out games at the business end of the season while other teams have been running in quicksand. I know we had a hard road and would have something to do with running out of steam. There was more than that they ran all other the cats from 44 points down in round 23. Were full of running against the lions, smashed the cats in the last half and completely destroyed us. Yes they were the best team but they must be doing something in the fitness area to do this to the opposition in the last half games.
Or they adopted Essendum’s supplements program 😉

I don’t really mean that…

Maybe I do…..

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Mate, you're an absolute legend. I envy the people that have never met MD.
I get p!ssed off when OUR BF posters have hot takes and bag the crap out of our team without facts. The awful comments after the Port loss at the end of the season, where some posters stated we were pathetic and not worth watching in the 1st Elimination.

A factual review of the season, we improved so much from 2020, top 2 for most of the season and we still have a potential top 3 F/S Darcy lined up in the draft.
We also have Sammy P and Chris Grant, I feel so happy saying that, the dogs are in safe hands.

It's ok to criticise and make rational/factual comments, but when they become vial and are constantly directed at specific players, then the question has to be asked??
Why do you support this awesome team, a team I have loved for so long.
You have choices, you can always support another if this club makes you feel so angry.
Totally this - absolutely we have improved.

We should also be happy that the preliminary final hoodoo has been well and truly smashed.

Disappointed we lost, but happy with the season overall. When people stop hurting so much and calm down a bit I think they will realise this too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, and I still recall it clear as day. Right after the siren about half a dozen Dogs supporters came to our autopsy thread to tell us to "Eat sh!t" and "Hope it hurts" etc. Thing is, I think it's unfair and ridiculous to judge clubs by the very worst of their supporters. I was proud of our effort to the final siren that day and turned to my Dogs supporting mate in the stands and gave him a hug because I knew how much it meant to him break a long and painful drought, having been through it myself before 2005. He'd had family members who'd lived and died without seeing their beloved team get a flag, which really puts things into perspective.
Yep, sorry about that. There are always that few who let everyone down. Glad to hear you were generous to your friend and no doubt you didn’t go on and on for years about free kicks as some on Bigfooty still do.

Totally this - absolutely we have improved.

We should also be happy that the preliminary final hoodoo has been well and truly smashed.

Disappointed we lost, but happy with the season overall. When people stop hurting so much and calm down a bit I think they will realise this too.
As a neutral, it struck me watching the prelims and GF that under the new rules, if a good team gets on top they can pile on goals and make the other team look silly. Teams can’t really stay in touch on the scoreboard through those periods they’re getting outplayed just though grit and nous, like teams used to be able to do, which I think can make the gap between 2 teams look bigger than it really is.

If you are 5% off Melbourne’s best, they’ll flog you by 10 goals. I think the Doggies are only a few percent off Melbourne’s best, but that could change in the space of one off-season

Cancelled my KAYO subscription, removed the AFL app and removed the SEN app. Quite a liberating experience.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did the same, plus completely unfollowed or blocked all AFL pages on Facebook for the next 30 days and I refuse to open Instagram because I only use that to follow the team + afl media. Only popping into BF now to keep up with the team itself and what's going on during the off season.

Still hurts :(

Did the same, plus completely unfollowed or blocked all AFL pages on Facebook for the next 30 days and I refuse to open Instagram because I only use that to follow the team + afl media. Only popping into BF now to keep up with the team itself and what's going on during the off season.

Still hurts :(

Great moves. Do what you need to do to get through and then let time do the rest.

Have Melbourne filed a missing person's report for Kozzie Pickett? Taylor Duryea was outstanding.

Have Melbourne filed a missing person's report for Kozzie Pickett? Taylor Duryea was outstanding.
Way to busy looking for a few blokes In red white and blue jumpers.

Duryea is our most underrated player. Mr Reliable with high does of courage and ice in his veins (not the type to advertise it though).

There's always a select few fringe 'supporters' without class. Dogs supporters or not, they were hopefully condemned and banned. No excuse for that sort of thing.

What really gets to me is the Sydney supporters who still go on about the umpires five years later and who continue to sour what was the greatest day of our football following lives.

Full credit to Melbourne, they were too good. I've got no real interest in engaging with their supporters (nothing to say) let alone bringing them down (like has been done to us since 2016). They can enjoy it on their own, as we did five years ago, and we'll all get on with our lives.

Last edited:
Yeh take it easy mate , just an observation and pretty hard to argue with .
Dogs played well for 2.5 quarters, I thought they had it in the bag after that run of goals from the Bont .
Was a great game to watch up till 3 quarter time .

PS . We know we are sh*t , no ones pretending otherwise.

Sorry mate, we're all a bit touchy, but we'll get there.

Firstly there is the hurt for the players and us supporters
Then their is the review on how we get better
The trade and draft to improve the list
The all important preseason for fitness and tactics
The 2022 season where they never forget the hurt from this that becomes are driving factor.
Sure a lot of other things need to go right but if we stick together we can make 2022 the year of atonement

Remember we only win flags in even numbered years 54 and 16 and lose GF odd years 61 and 21. Well that's my theory anyway.

Cancelled my KAYO subscription, removed the AFL app and removed the SEN app. Quite a liberating experience.

Yeah think I will do the same, the coverage was so biased and awful.

Or they adopted Essendum’s supplements program 😉

I don’t really mean that…

Maybe I do…..

We'll have to see next year how they hold up without their fitness guy, they only had the one long term injury but that was an impact injury and they had minimal soft tissue injuries. We'd be losing guys on a week to week basis for hammies or quads and they had zero problems, crazy how it went for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back