Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

There was plenty of talk about this last year too. In the end Subi lost (probably fair to say were robbed) the grandfinal and Jarrad chose to stick around for another year.

I’ve hear it said that Taj is the best 15 year old in the country so it’s easy to see why Port would want to get him here and safeguard his development.
Best 15 year old.. thats interesting... very interesting

Dunno how accurate it is but had heard on the grapevine that Josh was keen to move to Adelaide next year and finish up with Subi to further Taj's development at Port.
I've heard something similar.Pyke is also trying to get him to Adelaide I also heard.

There was plenty of talk about this last year too. In the end Subi lost (probably fair to say were robbed) the grandfinal and Jarrad chose to stick around for another year.

I’ve heard it said that Taj is the best 15 year old in the country so it’s easy to see why Port would want to get him here and safeguard his development.
How exciting to think our first ever number 1 draft pick may be a father-son selection!

I think it's also worth noting a few of the other father-sons we have running around in the junior leagues in order to keep an eye on the way they are developing. Owen Montgomery played for the South Melbourne Districts U16s team last weekend, Noah Wilson has turned out for the Mt Lofty U16s three times this year and Oscar Lade played for the Plympton U16s the weekend just past.

So, be sure to keep an eye on:

Woodville-West Torrens U18s
Trent Burgoyne
Jackson Mead

Subiaco U16s
Taj Schofield

South Melbourne Districts U16s
Owen Montgomery

Plympton U16s
Oscar Lade

Mt Lofty U16s
Noah Wilson

I think it's also worth noting a few of the other father-sons we have running around in the junior leagues in order to keep an eye on the way they are developing. Owen Montgomery played for the South Melbourne Districts U16s team last weekend, Noah Wilson has turned out for the Mt Lofty U16s three times this year and Oscar Lade played for the Plympton U16s the weekend just past.

So, be sure to keep an eye on:

Woodville-West Torrens U18s
Trent Burgoyne
Jackson Mead

Subiaco U16s
Taj Schofield

South Melbourne Districts U16s
Owen Montgomery

Plympton U16s
Oscar Lade

Mt Lofty U16s
Noah Wilson
I know they're still a bit young - but what types of players are they all? I.e. likely position and style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys not sure if you are across this or not - read it this morning in The Age

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-splashes-in-shallow-pool-20180430-p4zcj4.html

Adelaide apparently get rights to Darryl Borlase's son, James, as he was born in Egypt when Darryl worked over there...

He made the U/15s All-Australian Side last season

Seems a bit bogus (and not what those Next Gen Academys are aimed to do - it's not as if the kid is from a non-footballing background)

Looks like he falls short of SANFL F/S games in the same way Gibbs did

Is Darryl still involved with Port? Would James try to avoid getting drafted by Crows in an attempt to get to Port?

Hey guys not sure if you are across this or not - read it this morning in The Age

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-splashes-in-shallow-pool-20180430-p4zcj4.html

Adelaide apparently get rights to Darryl Borlase's son, James, as he was born in Egypt when Darryl worked over there...

He made the U/15s All-Australian Side last season

Seems a bit bogus (and not what those Next Gen Academys are aimed to do - it's not as if the kid is from a non-footballing background)

Looks like he falls short of SANFL F/S games in the same way Gibbs did

Is Darryl still involved with Port? Would James try to avoid getting drafted by Crows in an attempt to get to Port?

WTF???

jo172 tagged me into the thread radiojake started on the Adelaide board about this. Port played 47 games in 1997 and 1998. He played 246 total. I responded with

I will then need my annual Footy Times Yearbooks to see how many games he played each season to have a half decent guess as to whether he played 200 premiership points + finals games as required by the AFL. When I did the Gibbs checking in 2005, and saw 31 games were added to a couple of players total in one season, that's when I knew things are screwy. I have them in storage somewhere, so might actually dig them up on the weekend.

Do you know the last year the preseason Foundation Cup games were played? Because the SANFL counted them and I reckon that comp finished up after 1991 but a couple of years before 1997. So far jo172 has been able to find video of a 1994 Foundation Cup game.

It could be border line. Port did have Daryl's sons as a potential F-S in this article on their website in November 2015, but I'm not sure how much double checking they did.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-11-18/possible-2030-fatherson-team

But given Borlase played 246 (1985-1998) including 2 seasons outside the eligibility period and between 1985 and 1994 there were potentially 5 x 10 = 50 preseason games he could have played in, I doubt he will get 200 premiership points and finals games played by 31st October 1996

Ha, what a farce this is:

‘Daisy’ Borlase played 246 games for the Magpies between 1985-98. Under AFL rules a player must have played at least 200 home-and-away SANFL games prior to Port Adelaide joining the AFL in 1997 for his son to qualify as a father-son pick.

So Daisy's games in 97 and 98 don't count, nor would his finals appearances!

Ha, what a farce this is:

‘Daisy’ Borlase played 246 games for the Magpies between 1985-98. Under AFL rules a player must have played at least 200 home-and-away SANFL games prior to Port Adelaide joining the AFL in 1997 for his son to qualify as a father-son pick.

So Daisy's games in 97 and 98 don't count, nor would his finals appearances!
Finals count its in the AFL rules wording, but not in the wording that article.

I reckon Borlase would have had to play about 225 games by 31/10/1996 to get to 200 after eliminating Foundation Cup/preseason games from his total.

Correct:

Years Club Games (Goals)
1993–1998
West Coast 63 (34)
1999–2004 Port Adelaide 131 (91)
2005–2006
Fremantle 12 (2)
Total
206 (127)

91 goals from 131 games is a fair effort from a linkman midfielder.

jo172 tagged me into the thread radiojake started on the Adelaide board about this. Port played 47 games in 1997 and 1998. He played 246 total. I responded with

I will then need my annual Footy Times Yearbooks to see how many games he played each season to have a half decent guess as to whether he played 200 premiership points + finals games as required by the AFL. When I did the Gibbs checking in 2005, and saw 31 games were added to a couple of players total in one season, that's when I knew things are screwy. I have them in storage somewhere, so might actually dig them up on the weekend.

Do you know the last year the preseason Foundation Cup games were played? Because the SANFL counted them and I reckon that comp finished up after 1991 but a couple of years before 1997. So far jo172 has been able to find video of a 1994 Foundation Cup game.

It could be border line. Port did have Daryl's sons as a potential F-S in this article on their website in November 2015, but I'm not sure how much double checking they did.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-11-18/possible-2030-fatherson-team

But given Borlase played 246 (1985-1998) including 2 seasons outside the eligibility period and between 1985 and 1994 there were potentially 5 x 10 = 50 preseason games he could have played in, I doubt he will get 200 premiership points and finals games played by 31st October 1996

Lol

Afl how hard would it be to apply some commonsense instead of shrugging your shoulders and going eh it’s going to happen?

Similar to how Adelaide missed out on Bryce Gibbs

--

I don't understand how him being born in Egypt makes him a 'next-gen' player - if his family were from Egypt too, then fair enough
AFL not thinking very hard when writing the rules. It happens all the time.

If it said something like - if a player is born outside Australia, and his Australian parents have migrated to a foreign country for work or other reasons, and that player has not permanently lived in Australia before attaining 15 years of age........ that sort of worded clause provides for the fact that the son didnt receive the benefit of playing in a structured Australian Football competition to Australian type standards for a long time and was disadvantaged as much as a kid who was born overseas and has foreign parents.

Shouldn’t premiership wins and games played as captain have extra value for calculating father son eligibility ?

Missed out by what 1 game but is a 4 time premiership player (1 of which was as captain) that should merit father son selection by itself regardless of total games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back