Review Pre Season 2019 - where are we at?

Remove this Banner Ad

+1 on Scott and LDU

Not much else impressed. Backline is going to be a big issue round 1, McKay is nowhere near ready to be the main man. They need to get games into him, needs 40+ games to have any chance of succeeding Taz

Feel very similarly about Souva, needs games but offers very little. Not enough support around him to afford carrying him. I’m a long way from convinced by Wood, who’s done the apprenticeship and needs to be more

Hopefully Cunners and Goldy lift us a level or two, but Port had arguably equal outs today (Wines, Dixon)

Tempering my hopes....

I don't think 666 favors Brown at all, he can be playing well and may not have much impact this season. Could be a worry, whether as small forwards can damage more and we've been s**t in that department for a while.

Ironically the most positive to come out of this is our recruits and young draftees 1st and 2nd years. LDU's done great stuff, Scott is miles ahead of where he typically would be at a guy of his age, Thomas already showing good signs and Ahern just keeps on rising.

Backline is the big issue, and even to a lesser extent the forward line, we got problems. Midfield is now our saving grace which is funny considering it used to be our weakest point.

Larkey did fine JLT one, shouldn't be a defence man though. Ever. Doesn't work.
Mason Wood however, has no excuse. He's just not trying.
Sympkin could've done more as well.

It's not good for the team when your new teammates are putting in all the hard yards and most of your veterans are a pace behind where they should be. They should be on your top end consistently of performance, that has an onset effect, if the older blokes aren't trying, why should I. Hopefully it does the opposite, well if these guys aren't gonna do this, I will.

Most of them thankfully can return to form in time, it's just theres not much time left before things get serious.

Issues identified:

-Unable to excecute basic skills under no pressure which result in turnovers and goals (Too many to mention)
-Unable to force turnovers once opposition have possession of the ball. (142 marks allowed)
-Unable to prevent opponents transitioning ball from defence to attack. (Port had 51 inside 50's for 19 goals)
-Allowing loose men off contests. (Chronic)

Basically, issues that have been around since Scott's first year.

If you are looking purely at JLT form we are most likely going to finish lower down the ladder this year. I know it’s JLT but a lot of concerns about our forward and back lines.

Only positive is the midfield is looking great.

If you are looking purely at JLT form we are most likely going to finish lower down the ladder this year. I know it’s JLT but a lot of concerns about our forward and back lines.

Except the JLT form almost never reflects the outcome of the season, we were like this last season and finished just shy of the top 8 after being told we'd win the spoon.

Our problems can be fixed, its just a matter of how soon.

I was going to start a general thread but you beat me to it Gaso.

Players doing everything you'd hope for:
Polec - Perfect start and exactly what we wanted.
Scott - Same exact definition, I think he'll sneak into round 1 now.
LDU - Not quite smashing it but close enough and a big positive.

Players going well:
Goldy - Based off the start of last week he'll have a good year.
Dumont - Looks to be continuing from where he left off.

Players that need to lift:
Brown - Hard to take too much out of pre season but he's looking pretty rusty still.
McDonald - Not doing enough still, not sure where he fits now. Pittard arguably contributes just as much off HB and there will be a glut of mids once (when) Jed, Cunnington and Jacobs are back.

Players that seriously need to lift:
Wood - He might work hard but he does f all too much now, with Waite gone he needs to impact more often and more regularly (while the game is there to be won). He had a solid year last year but the apprenticeship is over. If he can't be a genuine 2nd tall option then we may be better off with Larkey in given he offers some more flexibility. It worries me that Zurhaar has almost as much impact in a fraction of the game time and looked more dangerous.

I'd love to know Thomas' fitness levels because he gives every indication of being close to making a lot of nice things happen. Fascinating to see if he gets a game early on.

Backline is of serious concern given injuries, but I will wait until I see the midfield with Cunnington and Goldstein and Tyson, LDU and Ahern playing more than 60% game time before making any further judgements. Without the midfield truly showing what it can do its hard to assess the other areas of the team.

Concerned about JY, but I don't reckon the JLT games are telling us much.
We are playing possum a bit I think. When was was the last ast time we had 24 tackles in a game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backline is of serious concern given injuries, but I will wait until I see the midfield with Cunnington and Goldstein and Tyson, LDU and Ahern playing more than 60% game time before making any further judgements. Without the midfield truly showing what it can do its hard to assess the other areas of the team.

When you consider our two prime inside mids (LDU & Tyson) combined for an average of 63.5% game time with a ruckman who was dominated, and we still only succumbed by 21 points, then it's a very encouraging output. Take away those 2 PUTRID downfield goals and the result is 9 points at Alberton!

Tyson still picked up 5 centre clearances even though Campbell was getting flogged and in only 65% GT.

Comparison? Cripps finished 2nd in the comp last year with 3.3 a game in 89% GT!!!

We are playing possum a bit I think. When was was the last ast time we had 24 tackles in a game?

You're on it Tron (as is usually the case).;):thumbsu:

Tackles, GT% and blokes rested made massive differences. I hope Freo get roped in by it.

As for 24 tackles in a game, I doubt that's ever happened while they have been keeping stats.

Wood - He might work hard but he does f all too much now, with Waite gone he needs to impact more often and more regularly (while the game is there to be won).
Yes, he does need to have an impact more often and more regularly.

He had a solid year last year but the apprenticeship is over. If he can't be a genuine 2nd tall option then we may be better off with Larkey in given he offers some more flexibility. It worries me that Zurhaar has almost as much impact in a fraction of the game time and looked more dangerous.
Interesting comparison to Cam. The relevance of which is that Mase just doesn't use his size to any advantage.

I'd love to know Thomas' fitness levels because he gives every indication of being close to making a lot of nice things happen. Fascinating to see if he gets a game early on.
Well said. He's a shade of doing some really, really nice things. If he keeps up the intensity and application, it will come. And, as you say, fitness may be a factor here.

B: Marley McKay EVW
HB: McDonald Tarrant Atley
C: Dumont Tyson Polec
HF: Hall Wood Ziebell
F: Simpkin Brown Turner
R: Goldy Higgins Cunnington
I: Ahern Macmillan LDU Jed if fit

Gona need to see big improvements from the bolded players if we are going anywhere this year.

Only positive is the midfield is looking great.

Really? I wouldn’t say that. Midfield been ok in patches and although game time would indicate we were experimenting somewhat, I thought our midfield didn’t bear St Kilda’s and lowered our colors to Port.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Take out the 1st KPD from any team in the comp and watch what happens.

We'll be fine as soon as Taz and Thompson are back. EVW is a future star.

If you want to bet on North for finals, wait until whenever Taz returns.

That is all.

I generally thought late last year that 2019 would be a great year with a top 4 finish not out of the question. Jacobs coming back, Daws continued improvement and a couple of outside running additions.

Unfortunately Daw will not be playing. Jacobs ain’t playing no time soon. The addition of Polec and Hall will help a little but I think this will only help us remain around 10th position.

Jacobs importance to our teams success is equal to any other player on our list.

Can’t seeing us making the 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not even phased.

Those 2 games were completed in cruise control. It's all about blowing the cobwebs out.

Don't worry about Brown. Last year he was getting double and triple teamed. This year it will be harder to do with the 666 rule. The issue is he needs support and we need dangerous people around him. He isn't getting that with Wood, Turner, or Larkey atm. If they don't show something their opponents won't pay them any respect and they will just continue to double/triple team Brown. If that happens the focus should be on lowering our eyes when kicking inside our forward 50 (lol...sorry, that was hard to type. My biggest criticism of North over the last 10 years).

It's all about injuries and consistency at this point. Daw got to work with the wise heads in Tarrant and Thompson. You learn from people like that and understand where to setup etc when they continually tell you where to stand. If Daw can pick it up so can McKay.

I would like some honest answers to where Jacobs and Anderson are at tbh. Also where's Wilkinson at? Mature age recruit, our best runner, good eye for goal...surely that's more than what Turner/Hrovat can offer. Witches hats offer more than those two at this point in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back