Training Pre Season - Who's deadset training the house down 2024 style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, i can see this happening, i think he, and maybe rampe and lloyd will see reduced on-field time as the season unfolds
With both our byes being so early I can see us giving Parker, Adams and Rampe a rest for a couple of weeks at about Round 15-18 or even later, especially if they pick up a niggle. Perhaps around the time Mills comes back. Maybe Amartey too. Good opportunity with the depth we have, especially if we're travelling OK. Lloyd I think won't need it, he's very durable.

Hall-Kahan kicked 29.22 over his VFL career with us. That's a little better conversion rate than Hayward's 25.19 in 2023 (provided a few posts up by Robbieando - I've not gone to check but I have no reason to disbelieve the figure). But it's not hugely better. And was achieved at a lower grade.

I don't have (and don't know where to find, or if it can be found) how many of HHK's shots were set shots vs in play shots. My subjective memory of watching him (and I think I watched every VFL game in 2023) was that he was as capable of missing doozies as Hayward was in the AFL.

my memory differs

he must have done it but I do not recall HHK shanking set shots out on the full and I watch Ressies games (admittedly just on the stream)

There is data on set shot accuracy from distance and angle that picks up out on the full as well as g and b… it just is not published.

If you think Harry Cunningham would ever make a side over nick Smith you need to uppercut yourself. Complete nonsense.

Nick Smith actually knew how to defend against players like Cyril and held him like no other defender in the league. Harry is given jobs on the 5th fwd and is still exposed.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Careful, you'll throw your back out shifting those goal posts.

A 30 year old defender who averages 14 possions a game, when will henhave his breakout? he needs to be shutting his opponent down like nick smth did. He is not even worthy to be in the same change room as Nick Smith. Top 10 of the skilton medal seems a outlier. He has a place in the afl, just not with a team looking to be a threat. P.s you don't need to agree with me.

If Cunningham is playing a majority of games in 2024 we are not serious about a flag.
Do you actually watch Swans games or do you just thrive on past glory. Get a grip on today. What is actually happening now. Swans have to play footy with players that are actually playing now. You seem to be lost. In time.

Hey guys, apologies, I have missed about 20 pages, does anyone know of any summaries of our intra from the other day, very curious as to best 22 line up and what we are doing on the wing, mid and half back areas.
If you subscribe to the training jumper theory, then based on the most recent training vid (posted on Swans Twitter on Friday) and the most recent photo gallery (posted on Swans site last Monday), the players may be split as follows:

Red jumpers - Jordon, McCartin, McDonald, Ch. Warner, Fox, Grundy, Roberts, Rampe, Lloyd, Papley, Hayward, Rowbottom, Florent, Wicks, McLean, Cunningham, Blakey, Amartey, McInerney

Blue jumpers - McAndrew, Campbell, Magor, Buller, Konstanty, Mitchell, Melican, Kirk, Edwards, Sheldrick, Snell, Cleary, Hamling, Vickery, Green

This would all make a lot of sense based on a probable best 22 in the coaches eyes, as there's a clear chasm between the players in that red group and those in blue... except for two things:

1. Four players (Warner Jr., Adams, Reid & Ladhams) have been seen in both colours.

2. I don't think there would even be a probable best 22 yet in the eyes of the coaches.

So I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

Aside from that, the most recent report from training was this from Friday:

Last edited:
If you subscribe to the training jumper theory, then based on the most recent training vid (posted on Swans Twitter on Friday) and the most recent photo gallery (posted on Swans site last Monday), the players may be split as follows:

Red jumpers - Jordon, McCartin, McDonald, Ch. Warner, Fox, Grundy, Roberts, Rampe, Lloyd, Papley, Hayward, Rowbottom, Florent, Wicks, McLean, Cunningham, Blakey, Amartey, McInerney

Blue jumpers - McAndrew, Campbell, Magor, Buller, Konstanty, Mitchell, Melican, Kirk, Edwards, Sheldrick, Snell, Cleary, Hamling, Vickery, Green

This would all make a lot of sense based on a probable best 22 in the coaches eyes, as there's a clear chasm between the players in that red group and those in blue... except for two things:

1. Four players (Warner Jr., Adams, Reid & Ladhams) have been seen in both colours.

2. I don't think there would even be a probable best 22 yet in the eyes of the coaches.

So I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

Aside from that, the most recent report from training was this from Friday:

Brutal for Campbell, will check out the other thread.

Careful, you'll throw your back out shifting those goal posts.
You are the one shifting the posts bring Smooch into this conversation. I said and maintain if we are pushing and serious to be a top 4 spot, Cunningham shouldn't be in the side. He isn't good enough.

You are the one shifting the posts bring Smooch into this conversation. I said and maintain if we are pushing and serious to be a top 4 spot, Cunningham shouldn't be in the side. He isn't good enough.

Nice to have new people , hows your involvement as a fan over the years . There is a thread called introduce yourself

Who is better? Who should be the small defender if not Cunningham? Who has the pace to go with small forwards? Who has more football experience than Cunningham that is actually playing in the team right now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is better? Who should be the small defender if not Cunningham? Who has the pace to go with small forwards? Who has more football experience than Cunningham that is actually playing in the team right now?

I don’t understand the argument from either of you. Rusty - experience in itself is not persuasive unless the player is shutting down the oppos most dangerous small.

Harry is an average small defender. He gets the lock down role as Lloyd is not great one on one (tho I reckon Jake has really improved). Harry is not great but serviceable.

We do imo remain more vulnerable to small and medium fwds than oppo kpfs and small/medium defender is an area where we can improve. It would be great to see Magor come on in the Ressies this year and who knows, apply pressure.

Other options-

1. Personally I would play Hayward down back as I doubt he will overcome his yips.

2. Rowbottom is another who could be repurposed to play down back as a terrific tagger/desperado small defender.

3. Coaches seem very keen to play Matty Roberts there.

Last edited:
Some people seem keen to want to give the heave ho in a sense to some of our not-exciting veterans - Cunningham, Lloyd, Parker. I feel like Horse will see it the opposite. They'll be among his most valued players in the next few years.

Understand there's some exciting youth on the list we want to see at the highest level - Roberts, Sheldrick, Warner Jr., etc. - and that Horse has shown in the past a willingness to give kids a go. One of his favourite sayings seems to be that "your birth certificate doesn't matter."

However one of the sayings he likes using even more, particularly after a loss, is that we're "a young and inexperienced group." He would've seen Collingwood & Geelong in recent seasons - both in the top 4 oldest lists in the comp the year they won their flags, both with only 3 players under 50 games, both with 0 under 20 games - and seen that maturity and experience matters.

That doesn't just go for those veterans, but also the others some aren't keen on - the Rowbottoms*, Florents, Wicks', Haywards, McInerneys. They're all in that 50-150 game mark that could give them a level of maturity and experience that Horse values over the kids who may have the ability but are raw and could put us back on the youth hamster wheel.

Everything from his comments in every press conference and interview, to his historical team selections, to our aggressive trade period, make me think Horse & co want to get off that youth hamster wheel now and become the best team in the competition.

*I hate having to include Rowbottom and pretend, just for arguments sake, that he's not one of our best players.

Some people seem keen to want to give the heave ho in a sense to some of our not-exciting veterans - Cunningham, Lloyd, Parker. I feel like Horse will see it the opposite. They'll be among his most valued players in the next few years.

Understand there's some exciting youth on the list we want to see at the highest level - Roberts, Sheldrick, Warner Jr., etc. - and that Horse has shown in the past a willingness to give kids a go. One of his favourite sayings seems to be that "your birth certificate doesn't matter."

However one of the sayings he likes using even more, particularly after a loss, is that we're "a young and inexperienced group." He would've seen Collingwood & Geelong in recent seasons - both in the top 4 oldest lists in the comp the year they won their flags, both with only 3 players under 50 games, both with 0 under 20 games - and seen that maturity and experience matters.

That doesn't just go for those veterans, but also the others some aren't keen on - the Rowbottoms*, Florents, Wicks', Haywards, McInerneys. They're all in that 50-150 game mark that could give them a level of maturity and experience that Horse values over the kids who may have the ability but are raw and could put us back on the youth hamster wheel.

Everything from his comments in every press conference and interview, to his historical team selections, to our aggressive trade period, make me think Horse & co want to get off that youth hamster wheel now and become the best team in the competition.

*I hate having to include Rowbottom and pretend, just for arguments sake, that he's not one of our best players.
Agree entirely on the veterans point re: Rampe and Lloyd.

Further, I don't recall the last time a Florent, Hayward or Rowbottom was dropped.

And I see absolutely no reason for it to start now!

McI is almost in the same category - albeit he did struggle coming back from injury at one stage & drifted into "go find some form in the 2's land". But when fit, he appears to me a Best XXII lock.

Wicks & Cunningham, however, I've always seen as a bit fringe-y .... feels like their position depends on the stars aligning around (a) Horse's desired structure, and (b) nobody else on the list (like Roberts, Konstanty or Mitchell) developing to a point whereby they can do a better job within that structure.

Agree entirely on the veterans point re: Rampe and Lloyd.

Further, I don't recall the last time a Florent, Hayward or Rowbottom was dropped.

And I see absolutely no reason for it to start now!

McI is almost in the same category - albeit he did struggle coming back from injury at one stage & drifted into "go find some form in the 2's land". But when fit, he appears to me a Best XXII lock.

Wicks & Cunningham, however, I've always seen as a bit fringe-y .... feels like their position depends on the stars aligning around (a) Horse's desired structure, and (b) nobody else on the list (like Roberts, Konstanty or Mitchell) developing to a point whereby they can do a better job within that structure.
Konstanty only on the list for a season and an interrupted one at that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back