Prelim - Changes / Discussion v Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changes are obvious this week.

Outs- Darcy Fort, Tom Fullarton.

Ins- Oscar McInerney, Joe Daniher.

I am expecting Berry to get off on appeal... grading to go from intentional to careless and he cops a fine, travesty if he doesn't get off considering what has been let go in the past and the fact that Oliver had his forearm on Berry's throat and head. If the shocking happens >

Berry > Mathieson > outside chance Prior.

I was wondering how many days it would take until you starting bagging one of our defenders for the weekly Lester push. I suppose as Gardiner had arguably his best game all year, it is time to target Payne. Previous to that it was Gardiner and earlier to that it was Adams.

Why you are not happy with the team winning the last two finals? Two great underdog performances coming from behind. As I posted earlier in the year it seems that Lester will only play AFL (unless a farewell game next year) if there is an injury.

Seriously...you are carrying on that Payne had 5 goals kicked on him. He was marking Jackson and then on occasions Melksham who both scored a total of 1 goal. Payne had 3 score involvements and as 'Tom 14' mentioned gained some GOOD meters. Yeap could use his body a bit more but hopefully that comes with experience, and vote of confidence instead of being dropped after a few games.
Imagine Lester marking Rohan, Cameron or Hawkins?
Someone has to be selected, someone has to be dropped, someone will miss out and everyone will have an opinion. Just offering mine. In terms of improvement areas, our key defensive positions is where there is the most scope. Previously we had an issue with team defence and players running both ways, but we appear to have addressed that. Believe me, if Lester was in the team and underperforming, I would make much the same sorts of comments, as would others.

Last edited:
Changes are obvious this week.

Outs- Darcy Fort, Tom Fullarton.

Ins- Oscar McInerney, Joe Daniher.

I am expecting Berry to get off on appeal... grading to go from intentional to careless and he cops a fine, travesty if he doesn't get off considering what has been let go in the past and the fact that Oliver had his forearm on Berry's throat and head. If the shocking happens >

Berry > Mathieson > outside chance Prior.
Can't see any other changes to what you mentioned

Surely we have a talking head that gets Berry off. Should not be that difficult
Every one hates eye gouging, so they had no option but to charge Berry because of media coverage
However they could have avoided making the charge "intentional". Most people would have seen incident as a fine (just be more careful in future)

My only difference is Robbo will come into the mix if Berry misses

For the Jerry appeal, I believe it’s quite a simple tactic for his appeal. Play the George Floyd defence “I feared for my life”

payne took the most marks on the ground and bit off an absolutely awesome kick in the second where mcstay dropped a sitter but recovered to make the play work

just needs to learn to punch the ball a bit 'arder

im a big fan of his work so far in finals
I went to the game and identified Payne as our weakest defender. He doesn’t tackle hard enough and doesn’t put his body in the way to stop his opposition from marking. His marks were uncontested and his kicks overall were to contested situations where the players were covered. For a key position player he lacks physicality. Unfortunately we do not have an alternative player to replace him so he stays in the team. I hope he develops as a player by adding some physicality to his contested game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering we just bested the no1 clearance team in the comp, if we can do the same to Geelong their defense is nowhere near as strong as Melbournes's to hold us back.

Our main issue across the year has been goals conceded from center bounces and quick transition from the half back line. The cats have strong firepower in the center bounces, but are not particularly quick across half back. You could even argue that the pies were unlucky to lose their match up, considering they didn't kick very accurately.

If we can win the clearance battle I would say we win this game pretty comfortably, but don't forget to factor in the 2-3 goal advantage for "can't push in the back" Hawkins and "rugby passers" Selwood and Dangerscrub.
Actually it's a bit of a myth that Melbourne are a top clearance team, they only rank 7th in clearance differentials this season (and 8th last year). It's contested ball work in which they dominate (and we got ahead in this area in the second half which is why we got on top).

Geelong are a weaker contested ball team (ranked 4th with us sitting 5th), but a slightly better clearance team than Melbourne (rank 5th to our 10th). The real danger is Geelong is the best in the comp in inside 50 differentials and generating scoring shots from inside 50s. So (like every week!) it'll be important for us to win the midfield battle so our defence isn't under constant pressure.

Found the tunes for the loudspeaker at training this week. Thanks Llordo.

These blokes are on acid. I would love to play Collingwood in the Grand Final. We would beat them by ten goals. Having been at the game on Friday night and watched the Collingwood v Fremantle game, the quality differential was huge. It is like comparing the Olympic Gymnastics with the State Gymnastics Titles. Collingwood are making up the numbers and Sydney will murder them next weekend.

Game preview thread up and going.
I'm paying attention, who says I'm not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back