Opinion Premier foundations

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership teams are built on a solid foundation. I believe these players are the most likely to form our next premiership foundation:

Fasolo: 25 years
De Goey: 21
Grundy: 23
Elliott: 25
Treloar: 24
Langdon: 23
Scharenberg: 21
Adams: 23
Aish: 21
Brown: 19
Crisp: 23
Daicos: 18
Broomhead: 23
Moore: 21
Hoskin-Elliot: 23
McLarty: 19
Maynard: 20
Howe: 27

The oldest guy on this list is Howe at 27. The list as a whole hits it's peak in 2-3 years. The foundations have been created, we just need the courage now to see this through. IMO, we must aim for 2020 onwards as our window and as such, all selection and recruitment decisions must be based on that. No more mature recruits until we are about to hit our peak. Go to the draft Collingwood and put anyone not on this list on the trade table. A premiership awaits.

jmac70 one can hope.
You are right, that is the plan.
Things can turn quickly in this game, planets align, and all of a sudden....

Here's hoping.

I'd cope with a flag or two or three or four or more.....

(I'm a little bit greedy :D for flags, or I'd like to be)

jmac70 one can hope.
You are right, that is the plan.
Things can turn quickly in this game, planets align, and all of a sudden....

Here's hoping.

I'd cope with a flag or two or three or four or more.....

(I'm a little bit greedy :D for flags, or I'd like to be)
My point is that we are three years away from realising this potential and will only do so if we priorities a 2020 flag push.

Premiership teams are built on a solid foundation. I believe these players are the most likely to form our next premiership foundation:

The oldest guy on this list is Howe at 27. The list as a whole hits it's peak in 2-3 years. The foundations have been created, we just need the courage now to see this through. IMO, we must aim for 2020 onwards as our window and as such, all selection and recruitment decisions must be based on that. No more mature recruits until we are about to hit our peak. Go to the draft Collingwood and put anyone not on this list on the trade table. A premiership awaits.
There is definitely something to work with there jmac.
Hopefully the club are thinking along similar lines and don't rush for short term success in just making up the numbers.

I would happily wait until 2020 if we can have a good run at it.

No argument jmac although as saintly observed sometimes the planets can align ala 2010 - so many player having breakout years and new senior players stepping up to the plate. We won that flag at least a year ahead of schedule.

No argument jmac although as saintly observed sometimes the planets can align ala 2010 - so many player having breakout years and new senior players stepping up to the plate. We won that flag at least a year ahead of schedule.
I just don't want to see any more short sighted decisions. We also need to be prepared to put a favourite son on the trade table. Time to be ruthless if we want to get where we need to be. I'm sick of watching other sides in September.

Add Sidebottom who is 6 months younger than Howe and Cox if he stays.

I just don't want to see any more short sighted decisions. We also need to be prepared to put a favourite son on the trade table. Time to be ruthless if we want to get where we need to be. I'm sick of watching other sides in September.
I didn't see Sidebum on your list, is that who you had in mind??

I like that list but not being negative just shows we need a full forward/Centre Half Forward a Centre half back and also some pace.

We need to be open to opportunities but not so eager we throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Our biggest concern needs to be to get the frigging fitness and training area professionally run.
Too often in the last 6 years we have had a promising streak of form destroyed by unnecessary injuries to key players. It's not the prime cause of our troubles but it has been a steady and serious contributor.
Our trading options appear to be limited and our player list needs more difficult to fill that endless mids lol.

Would have Aish out Kirby and Sidebottom in. Possibly Pendlebury depending on how long he can play for. He's always going to be an elite decision maker and doesn't rely on pace and his been pretty durable so far.

50/50 on Scharenberg, Langdon and Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have Aish out Kirby and Sidebottom in. Possibly Pendlebury depending on how long he can play for. He's always going to be an elite deduction maker slams doesn't rely on pace and his been pretty durable so far.

50/50 on Scharenberg, Langdon and Brown.
My concern with Kirby is that he is still not fit after a full season.

Hence why we need to go after the likes of Lever or Lynch
You need currency and cap space to do that - according to reports we have neither - just how do you imagine we can sidestep that?
Aside from everything else the AFL will not allow Lynch to be traded outside of the expansion clubs.
It's all very well to rant we must do this and we must do that lol.

That list and Steele add to it with top end graft picks this and next year will make 2019-20 onwards the right time for us.
One thing though last night you were saying we needed a full rebuild.
What changed your mind.

I'm not given he spent nearly the entire pre season only running laps. That was never really feasible from how far back he was comming. This pre season though he should be able to come back in better shape and do more drills.

That list and Steele add to it with top end graft picks this and next year will make 2019-20 onwards the right time for us.
One thing though last night you were saying we needed a full rebuild.
What changed your mind.
What is a full rebuild? We are still ten players short which is still significant.

What is a full rebuild? We are still ten players short which is still significant.
You know what l mean about the list rebuild of it.
Ten players short you say!. There is never a team with 30+ high quality players on it.
There are roll players that are average players, but do there job.
If we can 4-7 good to high quality in the next two years and better trading, 2020 we are a big chance

Needs a big pre season, as most young ones do.
Came to us at draft time, to be fair to him, without the vigour of afl full on training.
Built up, first pre season, got into the program.
We'll see 2018 and 2019 what we actually have.
But looks a real X factor type.

Very exciting.

(But caution! Patience)

You need currency and cap space to do that - according to reports we have neither - just how do you imagine we can sidestep that?
Aside from everything else the AFL will not allow Lynch to be traded outside of the expansion clubs.
It's all very well to rant we must do this and we must do that lol.
No one is ranting! Lol!
There has been plenty of suggestions on BF how we might be able to land one of these.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back