Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit odd that ppl are calling for darling to retire . This will be kennedys last year....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Hmm yeah that is true. Hopefully Darling will come around, he turns 30 this year but we certainly still need him for another few years at least after JK retires while we wait for either of the Williams (or someone else) to emerge as a permanent option.
I'm not entirely confident in Waterman as a smaller permanent option at CHF, he simply doesn't have Darling's size. I prefer him as a third tall with stints in a key forward position.
Depends on how hardline he is about the issue and if he's willing to compromise for the sake of his career, he certainly doesn't seem to be contemplating retirement à la Liam Jones based on his statement.
I find it a bit interesting that we've signed him until he's 33 although he is quite durable but not as much as a safe bet as JK in regards to longevity/sustained production imo.

Last edited:
Hmm yeah that is true. Hopefully Darling will come around, he turns 30 this year but we certainly still need him for another few years at least after JK retires while we wait for either of the Williams (or someone else) to emerge as a permanent option.
I'm not entirely confident in JW as a smaller permanent option at CHF, he simply doesn't have Darling's size. I prefer him as a third tall with stints in a key forward position.
Depends on how hardline he is about the issue and if he's willing to compromise for the sake of his career, he certainly doesn't seem to be contemplating retirement à la Liam Jones based on his statement.
I find it a bit interesting that we've signed him until he's 33 although he is quite durable but not as much as a safe bet as JK in regards to longevity/sustained production imo.
JW is a big lad, especially for a young kid.
Listed on Eagles website now as 198cm and 94kg.

Sure - Not as strong as JD yet and he'll be a very strong lad.
A few draft watcher have compared him to Tomahawk.

We'll be okay

We'll be okay
Lol I meant JW=Jake Waterman.
I meant this in the short term ofc, Jack Williams probably won't be ready for many years.

Waterman at WAFL level dominates as a forward. Allow him to build up a bit more muscle mass and play a dual centre half forward role with Oscar. If anything playing oscar as the high marking third tall will allow him more freedom and more opportunity.

Darlings decision is more impactful on how I want our ruck system to work. He's the only forward with the brute strength to line up next to a number 1 ruck in the forward half and break even or win the contest.

I really wanted Mcgovern rucking down back and covering a fair amount of time off ground for Nicnat, Darling in the forward third to half and playing Barrass and Edwards as the key pillars in defence with Gov being the third tall.

I tell you what, with Darling becoming the most high profile anti covid vaxx campaigner in the league, our AFLW coaches' poorly communicated message on pride round and the WA government shutting us out of home games potentially for a few months, it's starting to feel like an Eagles pre season of old.

Brings a tear to the eye.

I tell you what, with Darling becoming the most high profile anti covid vaxx campaigner in the league, our AFLW coaches' poorly communicated message on pride round and the WA government shutting us out of home games potentially for a few months, it's starting to feel like an Eagles pre season of old.

Brings a tear to the eye.

Just need someone to flee from a booze bus and the premiership is inevitable.

With Luke Strnadica injured surely we find another WAFL ruckman to train with us in case he doesn't get up to audition for an SPP spot.
Would be a bit of a worry entering the season with only 3 ruckmen plus a part timer in Harry Edwards who may be needed in the backline depending on injuries.
He's going to be reassessed in two weeks, so could still be fine. He seems to be the best option out there.

Do we really need to be that feral and talk about the players wives like this.

I don't care what anyone fires back at me. No need for us to show this level of disrespectful bogan-ness toward their families, especially over a personal health decision.
Money is always a factor, that what my comment was directed at...
Suggesting I'm targeting his missus is a bit OTT... If I was her, the money would be a big factor too especially when you have a family. TK was screwed by cats in his 2nd year contract.

He's going to be reassessed in two weeks, so could still be fine. He seems to be the best option out there.

Yeah, I’m struggling to think of any other ready-made options that’d be available.

I get the feeling Darling is going to try take on the AFL and play unvaxed due to exemption (which we all already know), but if he fails he'll get the jab. As both his comments and Our club statement mention he'll be back training, continuing career.
He may also have an issue that won't allow him to get the jab now, but will clear up and allow him to later.
Pure speculation by me, but just trying to understand it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling Darling is going to try take on the AFL and play unvaxed due to exemption (which we all already know), but if he fails he'll get the jab. As both his comments and Our club statement mention he'll be back training, continuing career.
He may also have an issue that won't allow him to get the jab now, but will clear up and allow him to later.
My speculation is that JD is that dumb he overloaded on cool aide. This is a long term issue and bigger than one player. He is just digging a deaper hole.

Its just weird.

All round.

Its not that he can walk into another top paying job being unvaccinated. Most employers with decent corporate governance have a vac policy.

Also shows that he is not a team player unfortunately. Geting vaccinated is just as much for others not just yourself.

Sad days......

well Covid is in for the long haul (years) darling has chosen not to play so why pay him. he is a distraction and poor mentor
The mandates will be lifted after a year or so and life will go on as normal as we just get on with it and the vaccines prove relatively ineffective, hopefully ppl who've stuck to their guns can just go back to being a normal person free from persecution then

The mandates will be lifted after a year or so and life will go on as normal as we just get on with it and the vaccines prove relatively ineffective, hopefully ppl who've stuck to their guns can just go back to being a normal person free from persecution then

If my sister is any indication a lot of anti-vaxers aren't going back to normal any time soon.

Medical exemption.... waiting for nova I reckon. I've calmed down over his decision. It is what it is and allows us to tinker with what's still a potent forward line that didn't seem to click last year.

I really hope so. But as long as there’s is different strains they keep pushing boosters and masks.
All about control… especially in our state Wa once the land of the free

yep just a couple of years, nit long for a 29 year old footballer. PS my life is normal now. Fly to melbourne for work, get out and do what I like. Just dont go to WA or NZ to catch up with family. Both have health systems from the arc.

Heard off a family member of an unvaxed GC sun player that Jack Darling wasn't vaxxed last week. Thought at the time, that's ok as he had until 21st.

Same source now mentioned that Jack has took on legal proceedings against the AFL Monday of last week. 😐

WTF , hope that`s not true ..

We'll be okay
He`s got a good set of hands in a contest too reminds me of JK ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back