Training Preseason chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at our Fixture, assuming hubs are a necessity, we 'should' be able to hub for the first 4 weeks without too much detriment to the schedule.

R1, GC - swap the fixtures with R19 (so GC home R1, WC home R19)
R2, Nth, Vic
R3 Freo - at a neutral venue (it's just financially that this would be a penalty - but I reckon they could get 30k to Marvel for this game)
R4 Coll, Vic

Then R5 is April 15 which gives almost an extra month for the border to open.

Freo similarly have R1 away, then R2 & R4 are home games against double-up teams (STK and GWS) - so just switch the fixtures.
Love a derby here, majority would be eagles supporters or neutrals as dockers supporters don't exist outside WA. Rarely met one here.

Our small backs are decoming a worry in regards to both speed and footskills/decision making. The more I see of Chesser the more I see him playing midfield. Nelson is a great kick but very questionable decision maker, Cole isn't fast and isn't a great kick. Rotham is fast but whether it's been coached in or is a fault of his game is a very slow decision maker. Witherden is a great kick and makes mostly good decisions but he isn't in the same league as Hurn or Jetta in regards to kicking and he is horrifically slow and very poor defensively. Mcgovern is a great kick but can be very lazy with it leading to turnovers. Barrass needs to learn his kicking is ok and he's not McGovern and to keep his kicking within his ability. Foley is a good kick, good size, good mark but at best average pace and agility. He does seem to be developing very quickly after almost being a write off and his decision making looks very good for his level of experience. Duggan is on the cusp with so many things. The cusp of being a very good kick, the cusp of being a very good mark, the cusp of being a very good decision maker. Hopefully this is his breakout year.

We really need this year to have 2 of our smaller defenders (im counting Rotham in this as he plays smaller than he is) really breakout. To me hopefully it's Nelson and it all clicks and Rotham. Then we'd have the speed, run, carry and kicking skills we are lacking.

Hough is more the one who could be developed as a HB, has decent speed, agility, a very good jump and mark but is 2 years really off being physically AFL ready imo and 4 years away from nailing down a spot full time.

Sam Gilbey is someone I'm very keen on. He seems to be the perfect HB, with speed, skills, size and reading of the play up the field.

He's a bit like Robert Murphy.

So far we've discussed the forward line and come up with

FF: Rioli - Kennedy - Ryan
HF: Cripps - Allen - ?

The back line

HB: Duggan - McGovern - Hurn
FB: Witherden - Barrass - Cole

Ruck would have to be

Ruck: Naitanui - Shuey - Yeo

Leaving us with

Centre line of

CC: Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

Still leaves Sam Petrevski-Seton, West, Redden, Rotham, Luke Edwards, Foley, Langdon, O'neill, Petrucelle and Waterman and the lack of a backup ruckman.

Sam Gilbey is someone I'm very keen on. He seems to be the perfect HB, with speed, skills, size and reading of the play up the field.

Yep, he's a gun and agreed very Rob Murphy like.
So many great options in this draft.

I think its a good idea we start discussing the HBF we should take with our 1st pick this year. It means everyone will be mentally prepared when we pass over multiple gun mids to address the small defender / running halfback we need. ;) ;) :embarrassedv1: :embarrassedv1: :$

So far we've discussed the forward line and come up with

FF: Rioli - Kennedy - Ryan
HF: Cripps - Allen - ?

The back line

HB: Duggan - McGovern - Hurn
FB: Witherden - Barrass - Cole

Ruck would have to be

Ruck: Naitanui - Shuey - Yeo

Leaving us with

Centre line of

CC: Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

Still leaves Sam Petrevski-Seton, West, Redden, Rotham, Luke Edwards, Foley, Langdon, O'neill, Petrucelle and Waterman and the lack of a backup ruckman.
SPS likely in that HF role splitting time between mid and forward.

Thats half of the AFL - it got to the stage where only the odd player that tried to dispose of the ball got penalised.

Which is why this tightening up on players 'taking the tackle' and not trying to move the ball on should be penalised more.

Ive been calling for stricter HTB calls for years. When the game is on the line and a team needs to score just look how quickly they get rid of the ball when tackled. They move it on and take risks because they need to score. Sure if there is no prior and they get smashed the instant they got it and they dont have arms free to move it, ball it up.

Which is why this tightening up on players 'taking the tackle' and not trying to move the ball on should be penalised more.

Ive been calling for stricter HTB calls for years. When the game is on the line and a team needs to score just look how quickly they get rid of the ball when tackled. They move it on and take risks because they need to score. Sure if there is no prior and they get smashed the instant they got it and they dont have arms free to move it, ball it up.
yep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very injury prone, particularly around the lower legs. A family trait unfortunately.
Certainly has the attributes you mentioned though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back