Universal Love Princes Park - 12th April 2018 Update - $20M Govt & AFL grant for redevelopment - Post #1390

(Log in to remove this ad.)

drunkill

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
The Gardiner stand was at capacity for the inaugural AFLW match, no problem there except the fact that sitting in the western most bay you oculd only see two thirds of the ground as the admin building cuts off the view of the goals.

I think anything regarding expanding the space or internals of the Gardiner stand are in the too hard basket for now. Plus there is the council depot back up right behind the stand, if Carlton were to get control of that land back then you could argue for some sort of underground expansion with a modern office on top backing onto the rear of the Gardiner stand.

However, the club would rather replace the southern side of the oval instead of the moldy, rotting and literally falling apart inside (you can walk through it at aflw games) Heroes stand.

Which is a bit of a shame, I quite like how the Pratt stand sloped downwards, it allows for a good view of the skyline from the broadcast wing, which helps to set the location of Princes Park for those watching on tv. If anything the Heroes stand should get the wrecking ball and build it a few metres higher with actual seating on the top tier, not 300 odd seats in the corner of it with the rest of the space being wasted by a broken scoreboard.

mediumsizered

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
The Gardiner stand was at capacity for the inaugural AFLW match, no problem there except the fact that sitting in the western most bay you oculd only see two thirds of the ground as the admin building cuts off the view of the goals.

I think anything regarding expanding the space or internals of the Gardiner stand are in the too hard basket for now. Plus there is the council depot back up right behind the stand, if Carlton were to get control of that land back then you could argue for some sort of underground expansion with a modern office on top backing onto the rear of the Gardiner stand.

However, the club would rather replace the southern side of the oval instead of the moldy, rotting and literally falling apart inside (you can walk through it at aflw games) Heroes stand.

Which is a bit of a shame, I quite like how the Pratt stand sloped downwards, it allows for a good view of the skyline from the broadcast wing, which helps to set the location of Princes Park for those watching on tv. If anything the Heroes stand should get the wrecking ball and build it a few metres higher with actual seating on the top tier, not 300 odd seats in the corner of it with the rest of the space being wasted by a broken scoreboard.
A disgusting display of self indulgence was the construction of this stand. It served no significant purpose at all.

AFL Club
Carlton
A disgusting display of self indulgence was the construction of this stand. It served no significant purpose at all.
Can’t agree here. Maybe naming it the Elliott stand was indulgent as hell, but the significant corporate (for the time) facilities included were needed, sad as it is. We were ahead of the curve there with the way footy was going. Any rebuild to AFL standards would also need to include facilities along similar lines.

mediumsizered

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Can’t agree here. Maybe naming it the Elliott stand was indulgent as hell, but the significant corporate (for the time) facilities included were needed, sad as it is. We were ahead of the curve there with the way footy was going. Any rebuild to AFL standards would also need to include facilities along similar lines.
We weren't ahead of anything. In fact at the time of building this white elephant, the facilities for our players were up there with the worst in the competition. Worse still, the writing was already on the wall for suburban grounds & we got left behind on this as well.

FWIW, there will be no rebuild to AFL standards. The AFL do not need a suburban ground. Thankfully it is shaping up as the headquarters for the AFLW competition & this should result in some upgrading which will benefit the club as a whole.

dangerousdane

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
We weren't ahead of anything. In fact at the time of building this white elephant, the facilities for our players were up there with the worst in the competition. Worse still, the writing was already on the wall for suburban grounds & we got left behind on this as well.

FWIW, there will be no rebuild to AFL standards. The AFL do not need a suburban ground. Thankfully it is shaping up as the headquarters for the AFLW competition & this should result in some upgrading which will benefit the club as a whole.
Are you talking about the Legends stand? Heroes stand is the John Elliott stand constructed in the 80's. Not sure how the writing was on the wall then for suburban grounds.

AFL Club
Carlton
We weren't ahead of anything. In fact at the time of building this white elephant, the facilities for our players were up there with the worst in the competition. Worse still, the writing was already on the wall for suburban grounds & we got left behind on this as well..
I reckon our training facilities would have been more or less on par with other clubs in 1986.

Doro

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers

Might it simply be a case of wanting the new facility to be alongside the existing hq? Would be odd to have them on opposite sides of the ground with disused grandstands between.

dangerousdane

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Might it simply be a case of wanting the new facility to be alongside the existing hq? Would be odd to have them on opposite sides of the ground with disused grandstands between.
It could be linked via the rear of the stand, there is room there to build, currently a car park I think.

drunkill

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
Sadly that is the council depot. So the club doesn't 'own' that space, not unless we help the council re-locate elsewhere.

The old depot area was beside the gatekeepers house of princes park, outside the entrance to the Pratt stand whee the tramstop is.
They removed that and opened that space back into parkland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dangerousdane

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Sadly that is the council depot. So the club doesn't 'own' that space, not unless we help the council re-locate elsewhere.

The old depot area was beside the gatekeepers house of princes park, outside the entrance to the Pratt stand whee the tramstop is.
They removed that and opened that space back into parkland.
Share it, we need tenants as a part of any redevelopment, helps with funding, we already share that space and the Elliott stand with multiple others.

im sure they would love new facilitates too.

drunkill

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
Nothing until 2020 it sounds like if all goes to plan start demolition right after the 2020 aflw season ends I suspect. The club is still trying to secure federal funding, which will only happen with a Shorten labor government as they're getting nowhere with the current mob changing leader every 12 months and not caring about victoria.

HBF

Flying Scotsman
AFL Club
Carlton
Nothing until 2020 it sounds like if all goes to plan start demolition right after the 2020 aflw season ends I suspect. The club is still trying to secure federal funding, which will only happen with a Shorten labor government as they're getting nowhere with the current mob changing leader every 12 months and not caring about victoria.
Labor would have to have the biggest choke in history not to get in at the next election.

Lace_Out

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
I doubt we will get the federal funding as well, from what I was told.

AceAndy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Newcastle United, Dragons FFC
Top Bottom