Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

And here is Fox Footy with a brand new article on the issue that they published at 11:30pm - an hour or so after the game:

Another media driven article about the issue, and if anyone from the club did act in the manner as suggested Cook should do, how many would be complaining about the clubs sense of entitlement & such?

No win situation for Scott & the club regardless of how they act or what they say

You doth protest too much.

I defend the clubs right to pursue this matter, but pursue it they did. It was not the media who started it. When we get the extra capacity then the argument will have been worth it. If we played freo in 2013 then can’t see why we can’t play Weagles at home.
But to say that this was all media when from Cooks own mouth last week I heard him say that they pursued this. They didn’t expect the blowback however from vested interests across the board nor the hate and resentment expressed. Didn’t effect the result. That was Chris Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree with pretty much all of those observations. I'd also add, Ratagolea flying for 20 marking contests and clunking none of them - CHECK!

You think to yourself if it suddenly clicks for him then he will be a valuable player and a natural key forward.

But in the back of your mind you think he is not going to be as good as we all want him to be.

Time will tell.

Shat the bed early on, some players looked old and slow others too new and inexperienced. Shocking plan to try and nullify Grundy by playing our key Def on him early, Rat still has a long way to go to become a consistent player at the level. We clearly have no plan B like in years gone by if teams get the jump on us.

TLDR: I am furious and Geelong are finals imposters.

I am so bloody angry right now after what could charitably be described as an insipid performance.

I cannot remember seeing a game where so many players got in each other’s way, handballed to grass and moved the ball so poorly. We have so many players who panic under pressure that I just can’t see us doing anything serious for the next five years. Maybe ten. I don’t think I can watch next week. We will be destroyed and humiliated.

Can I add that our game plan doesn’t stack up and needs to be thrown out, and that our coach just cannot get the players in the right mindset for high pressure football. Time for a change at the top.

Oh, and the umps were terrible.

Some individuals...

Ablett: terrible. This has to be the end
Bews, Atkins, Kolo: not good enough. Eject
Hawkins, Rohan: just not good enough when the big games come.

Harry: barely honorable exit
Danger: head and shoulders above
Stewart: solid. Better than that even.
Menengola and Selwood: put up a fight.

The rest: poor at best

/rant

Everybody is hurting but Tonight was predictable.
NOBODY here has given any credit to the Pies whose pressure, speed, tackling and irrepressibility was top shelf.
That was always going to be the difference. Collingwood smashed the near unbeatable Tigers 12m ago, and you talk about tonight like it was appalling.
We hit a team that is GF worthy, and we are just top 8 worthy.
The flattering 11-1 has got so many posters sucked in, yet any mention of the subsequent 5-5 form, and that's just too negative to bring up!!
The players that made an early difference for us this season- Rohan, Clark, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Miers- were either absent or poor.
CS had no impact on the players who missed gettable goals all night, or their slowness, or the fact that GAJ looked worse than his form in this game 12m ago. Pies ran out of a bench tonight, did not score in the last Q, and we were never too far away to keep them on their toes.
Not playing Stanley, I was and am spewing about it, but we would have been a mid down. Missing Guthrie and Duncan tonight was damaging.
The worrying issue is that we have no great confidence- inspiring inclusions for next week. Stanley and Guthrie walk back in I hope, but who of quality replaces Rohan? Not that Rohan has resembled anything near quality these last 3 months..
We are very middle of the road, and to expect better results with the list we have is delusional.
Danger and Stewart are absolute quality A graders.
Blicavs is a tireless battler.
Henry is going to be a player, as is Sav.
Kolo has lost some of his early season sparkle, as has MOC.
Kelly is "Standing in the corner looking over at the Jack of Hearts"
GAJ is finished after this season. Both Selwoods are very nearby. Hawkins, Taylor and Hendo are as well.
Our punishment for losing tonight is to face the other 2018 GF team next week. Anybody really believe we are good enough to win that? And so the CS thread will run into epic overload proportions next week after a straight sets exit, and of course, he will cop the abuse and blame.
Grundy made it look like Collingwood had 10 mids. Not playing a ruckman was a disaster. Who cares about "one down in the midfield" - compared to that?!

We finished on top of the ladder. That gives supporters a right to expect more from the team come finals, than you argue. And if it was 5-5 in the last part, you only have to look at the way Scott had us play. The playing style he coached had no flair after the break. And if you can somehow sheet that home to the players....then sack the coach! Becasue he cannot coach if the team loses consistently by not adhering to his instructions. Either way, get it?

Our 11-1 gave us the luxury of playing after the bye a bit cautiously. We came into the this game with a great uninjured list. But for most of the game, the way we played when we were up to 5 goals down was like you'd play in the last 5 minutes if we were 5 goals up! This is a playing style, Vdubs, that the coach has drilled into this team. It's not the players doing. It's the coach.

We all thought that last year

And the year before that

And before that

Defeat does nothing for these guys
Doesn’t mean that they can’t change.

If they are not good enough, so be it.

I still remember the Hawks being smacked by the Eagles in Perth in 2015 in week 1. Everyone thought that they were done.

And they regrouped and went on to win the premiership.

Last edited:
TLDR: I am furious and Geelong are finals imposters.

I am so bloody angry right now after what could charitably be described as an insipid performance.

I cannot remember seeing a game where so many players got in each other’s way, handballed to grass and moved the ball so poorly. We have so many players who panic under pressure that I just can’t see us doing anything serious for the next five years. Maybe ten. I don’t think I can watch next week. We will be destroyed and humiliated.

Can I add that our game plan doesn’t stack up and needs to be thrown out, and that our coach just cannot get the players in the right mindset for high pressure football. Time for a change at the top.

Oh, and the umps were terrible.

Some individuals...

Ablett: terrible. This has to be the end
Bews, Atkins, Kolo: not good enough. Eject
Hawkins, Rohan: just not good enough when the big games come.

Harry: barely honorable exit
Danger: head and shoulders above
Stewart: solid. Better than that even.
Menengola and Selwood: put up a fight.

The rest: poor at best

/rant
I'm less angry at the players. For example, Ablett was always going to be a cherry-on-top type of small forward asset when we are playing well. A good finisher, which we need. I would never expect him to break the shackles when we are playing shitful. He isn't 25 any more. Scott's gameplan crucifies Hawkins and Sav.

I've defended Scott. Not any more. Whatever doubts about him in the past I overlooked, I can't overlook them now. I'm not drinking the koolaid any more.

Presser
Be great if just said, "I scrwed up on the weather, had i checked google that said there was a 10% chance of rain, I would have played Stanley, am sorry Cats fans"

Instead, we lost Duncan so we had a an extra mid, Grundy was not influential according to the numbers"

Grow a ball, fess up and get your head out of your ego and take responsibility

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
I think he actually did take responsibility for it by admitting they’d got the weather wrong and if they knew the conditions would be like this, they’d have Stanley playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A serious question if I may. How many do you expect to attend the semi-final next week vs West Coast? I would have thought maybe 30,000 being against an interstate club?
Earlier this season, 28,085 attended at GMHBA Stadium when Geelong played West Coast. Your home ground holds 36,000. Surely the money hungry AFL will see no reason to force Geelong to play at the MCG this week?
I’m sorry, but I’m calling like I see it. You finished top of the ladder H&A. This game won’t draw 93,436 fans like vs the Pies. If fairness took a backseat to AFL money this week, then surely fairness prevails next week for your semi final.
Logic, fairness and everything else says this game must be played at GMHBA Stadium this Friday night.

AFL sell finals series tickets so if we are the only match in Victoria it will 99% be at the G. If Richmond lose to Brisbane and have a home game next week then there is a bit more flexibility there.

I think they will "officially" get 50,000 against WC at the G even if only 30,000 actually show up. The AFL will ensure the crowd figure is higher than KP capacity so they have something to point at.

I think he actually did take responsibility for it by admitting they’d got the weather wrong and if they knew the conditions would be like this, they’d have Stanley playing.
I find that hard to swallow if he said that. The weather was known for hours prior. A certainty. The rain came earlier than expected in the day, and it had been clearing for hours.

I'll give another scenario: they were itching to try Blicavs as ruck for tactical reasons, and the weather was an opportunity/excuse to go with that. We win, and Scott is a coaching tactical genius! It's all about the coaching, doncha know? The brilliant stategies, the superior gameplan. Sure, there are players somewhere in the mix (to be moved around like cattle), but AFL is about...coach!

I find that hard to swallow if he said that. The weather was known for hours prior. A certainty. The rain came earlier than expected in the day, and it had been clearing for hours.

I'll give another scenario: they were itching to try Blicavs as ruck for tactical reasons, and the weather was an opportunity/excuse to go with that. We win, and Scott is a coaching tactical genius! It's all about the coaching, doncha know? The brilliant stategies, the superior gameplan. Sure, there are players somewhere in the mix (to be moved around like cattle), but AFL is about...coach!
Oh I agree. They should have taken the fine and put Stanley back in.

A serious question if I may. How many do you expect to attend the semi-final next week vs West Coast? I would have thought maybe 30,000 being against an interstate club?
Earlier this season, 28,085 attended at GMHBA Stadium when Geelong played West Coast. Your home ground holds 36,000. Surely the money hungry AFL will see no reason to force Geelong to play at the MCG this week?
I’m sorry, but I’m calling like I see it. You finished top of the ladder H&A. This game won’t draw 93,436 fans like vs the Pies. If fairness took a backseat to AFL money this week, then surely fairness prevails next week for your semi final.
Logic, fairness and everything else says this game must be played at GMHBA Stadium this Friday night.
Except the GF is at the G, so what's the point of knocking out WCE at the cattery?

The smug arrogance has backfired spectacularly.

Hopefully Cook & Co undertake a blunt, frank review and are completely transparent / upfront with the supporters who pay their / Scott's wages.

It's time.
That is a long shot to suggest supporters pay for the cost of running the club. The largest chunks of money come from the AFL (primarily from Mr Murdoch and the other TV station owners) and our sponsors. Our members also contribute but not all supporters are members.

AFL sell finals series tickets so if we are the only match in Victoria it will 99% be at the G. If Richmond lose to Brisbane and have a home game next week then there is a bit more flexibility there.

I think they will "officially" get 50,000 against WC at the G even if only 30,000 actually show up. The AFL will ensure the crowd figure is higher than KP capacity so they have something to point at.
Personally, the MCG is a brilliant ground. The team should just embrace it and play there.

Except the GF is at the G, so what's the point of knocking out WCE at the cattery?
In order to play in the prelim the following week.

The GF at the G is a different proposition, since usually both teams have a similar number of supporters and there is a large chunk of neutrals. The home ground crowd support is a reduced factor.

Probably right. But it’s no point giving up.
If playing or coaching, yes.

But as a supporter I have the luxury of some distance, and that allows me to accept reality. I'm generally one of the optimists here. But after last night, I cannot keep that up. We can't change the way we play now after all this time.

Anyone else kind of want a straight sets exit just to see change at the football club? We're going no where with Scott at the helm.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Doubt anything will change 🙄

What was Scott’s explanation?
Something about a slip up + being human?

🙄🙄🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back