News Queensland Hub - The AFL puts a line through Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm tipping the AFL pleaded pretty hard with the premier, may have even guaranteed Qld the GF.
In turn, if Brisbane cannot win the flag this year, they never will win one again!!
You see, this is why many people get cynical about the rules that are made, and refuse to follow them.
Firstly, no gatherings at beaches, no golf, no fishing, but hey, we can have 10,000 people in close proximity, at a protest.

So, normal people from Victoria cannot enter QLD based on their rules. But, when it involves getting a GF, and benefits the State, the QLD premier will let the AFL families, partners, dogs, goldfish, anyone they want into QLD.

Face masks apparently make things worse, until they need to be worn because they prevent the spread.

School children are safe to go to school, until it someone changes their mind and decides it is not safe and they close them down and distant learn. (the original decision was based on economic reasons, where if the schools closed down, people in essential services could not attend work because they would need to stay at home and look after their children).

You wonder why some people refuse to follow rules.
Anyway, i am happy that we get to play the season, but expect that not all players will be happy and i can not begrudge them their choice..

You see, this is why many people get cynical about the rules that are made, and refuse to follow them.
Firstly, no gatherings at beaches, no golf, no fishing, but hey, we can have 10,000 people in close proximity, at a protest.

So, normal people from Victoria cannot enter QLD based on their rules. But, when it involves getting a GF, and benefits the State, the QLD premier will let the AFL families, partners, dogs, goldfish, anyone they want into QLD.

Face masks apparently make things worse, until they need to be worn because they prevent the spread.

School children are safe to go to school, until it someone changes their mind and decides it is not safe and they close them down and distant learn. (the original decision was based on economic reasons, where if the schools closed down, people in essential services could not attend work because they would need to stay at home and look after their children).

You wonder why some people refuse to follow rules.
Anyway, i am happy that we get to play the season, but expect that not all players will be happy and i can not begrudge them their choice..

Well for Qld, they become the sporting heart beat of the country for a period of time.
Once they start getting s second wave of cases, which is every chance of happening, the 10 weeks or so this hub is meant to last, will be shut down immediately.
If this happens, the season will be just about at breaking point, and l can see alot of players pulling the pin in their involvement for the season, especially those with families, as it will get too hard and compromised.
Right now with what is going on here and now NSW, the season is hanging by a thread, as other states could be hit with a second wave at anytime.

Well for Qld, they become the sporting heart beat of the country for a period of time.
Once they start getting s second wave of cases, which is every chance of happening, the 10 weeks or so this hub is meant to last, will be shut down immediately.
If this happens, the season will be just about at breaking point, and l can see alot of players pulling the pin in their involvement for the season, especially those with families, as it will get too hard and compromised.
Right now with what is going on here and now NSW, the season is hanging by a thread, as other states could be hit with a second wave at anytime.

Just hope when it Happens it Died down a lot in Melbourne

Unfortunately that is a pipe dream in this city, particularly when you read today that large numbers of people still flocking to shopping centres. We just don't get it in this city!!

Well then IF that is a Case then 2021 season is no sure thing.

All states people be going to Shopping Centers

Did l read Pendles is prepared to leave the hub mid season, to come home and be with his family?
I think alot of the Victorian teams, may well finish the season in the hub, with alot of youth in their teams.
Families will be allowed in the hub though, but do they need to quarantine for 14 days?

That’s exactly what the MCC is doing, FWIW.
Mcc membership season is from September to August

This ‘year’ they already had the AFL finals and GF, full cricket calendar including women’s World Cup

That is plenty of bang for your mcc $$

If no Finals or GF in 2020, that is why they will offer a reduced fee for the 2020-21 mcc season.

Did l read Pendles is prepared to leave the hub mid season, to come home and be with his family?
I think alot of the Victorian teams, may well finish the season in the hub, with alot of youth in their teams.
Families will be allowed in the hub though, but do they need to quarantine for 14 days?
the podcast was done on Tuesday before they had details of families being allowed in QLD so I would say If this happens most families would go.

The season continues under different circumstances and this will not be the last change, as for the asterisk comments put one there if you want but whoever Wins it this year will earn it and if Collingwood win I’ll celebrate like it was played in front of 100,000 people at the G.

The season continues under different circumstances and this will not be the last change, as for the asterisk comments put one there if you want but whoever Wins it this year will earn it and if Collingwood win I’ll celebrate like it was played in front of 100,000 people at the G.
This will be the hardest won Premiership ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgive me for being ignorant but what are the current affairs of Victoria that this is necessary? Context: I'm from basically the dead center of North America and we've had neither any sort of mandated lockdown nor any kind of sudden case rise. My state's deaths are just over 100 and I'm working from home by choice.

P.S. How long until the season just gets nixed and none of this matters?

Forgive me for being ignorant but what are the current affairs of Victoria that this is necessary? Context: I'm from basically the dead center of North America and we've had neither any sort of mandated lockdown nor any kind of sudden case rise. My state's deaths are just over 100 and I'm working from home by choice.

P.S. How long until the season just gets nixed and none of this matters?

Victoria, or Melbourne in particular have seen a sharp rise in commumity transmission (transmissions they can't account for the origin of through contact tracing) so the state government has imposed stage three restrictions on Melbourne. That means everyone must isolate and you can only leave the house to go grocery shopping, go to the pharmacy or doctor, or if you're a carer. All other state governments have closed their borders to Victoria and if you travel from Vic to another state you have a mandatory 14 day quarantine at a hotel which you have to pay for.

This makes having games in Victoria difficult. As a result all Vic teams will move to Queensland over the next 3 or so weeks. Collingwood is in Perth prior to moving up there. Queensland only has 4 active cases, 1 from a Victorian fruit picker and the other 3 are returning travellers from overseas. All are in iso or hospital. Queensland has no community transmission.

I think it's likely that the season will be able to be completed because Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia are on top of the virus. Cases are virtually zero, there is no community transmission and there are strict protocols in place to ensure it doesn't take hold.

Where in the states are you from?

Victoria, or Melbourne in particular have seen a sharp rise in commumity transmission (transmissions they can't account for the origin of through contact tracing) so the state government has imposed stage three restrictions on Melbourne. That means everyone must isolate and you can only leave the house to go grocery shopping, go to the pharmacy or doctor, or if you're a carer. All other state governments have closed their borders to Victoria and if you travel from Vic to another state you have a mandatory 14 day quarantine at a hotel which you have to pay for.

This makes having games in Victoria difficult. As a result all Vic teams will move to Queensland over the next 3 or so weeks. Collingwood is in Perth prior to moving up there. Queensland only has 4 active cases, 1 from a Victorian fruit picker and the other 3 are returning travellers from overseas. All are in iso or hospital. Queensland has no community transmission.

I think it's likely that the season will be able to be completed because Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia are on top of the virus. Cases are virtually zero, there is no community transmission and there are strict protocols in place to ensure it doesn't take hold.

Where in the states are you from?
SD. We had school called off and all concerts and sporting events cancelled but other than that, nothing has completely closed and we've been fine. I'm still wearing a mask everywhere and working from home and I think mandatory masks are worth enforcing but we've been fine despite the media saying we're all going to die for not completely shutting down. We even had a massive case rise in a meat packing plant that only resulted in like 1 death. Our state government has been following the advice of the main healthcare outfit of the state and it's going pretty well.

On the other hand high population states like California and Florida are still on lockdown especially after all the protests/riots/whatever. I attribute it to our state being sparsely populated and relatively anti-social but also we're used to being crammed indoors since we spend 6 months of the year at below freezing temperatures anyway so you can't just go outside whenever you want. For us this is just an extended normal winter except we don't have to shovel our driveways or start our cars early every morning to go to work.

I wish we could close our borders to other states completely but everyone has a stick up their ass about that. 'Merica and what not.

How did Queensland manage to keep their cases so low? They've even got us beat with about 5.5x the population (granted they are 10x the area).

SD. We had school called off and all concerts and sporting events cancelled but other than that, nothing has completely closed and we've been fine. I'm still wearing a mask everywhere and working from home and I think mandatory masks are worth enforcing but we've been fine despite the media saying we're all going to die for not completely shutting down. We even had a massive case rise in a meat packing plant that only resulted in like 1 death. Our state government has been following the advice of the main healthcare outfit of the state and it's going pretty well.

On the other hand high population states like California and Florida are still on lockdown especially after all the protests/riots/whatever. I attribute it to our state being sparsely populated and relatively anti-social but also we're used to being crammed indoors since we spend 6 months of the year at below freezing temperatures anyway so you can't just go outside whenever you want. For us this is just an extended normal winter except we don't have to shovel our driveways or start our cars early every morning to go to work.

I wish we could close our borders to other states completely but everyone has a stick up their ass about that. 'Merica and what not.

How did Queensland manage to keep their cases so low? They've even got us beat with about 5.5x the population (granted they are 10x the area).

Unfortunatly Victoria is run by a leader who allowed a BLM rally to happen where 10,000 protested without consequences while the rest of us where still in lockdown, but, according to our leaders it had nothing to do with our second wave even though there were positive cases at the rally which have also been linked to other outbreaks, but they are still denying that that was the cause. Our leader chose to put security guards at a Quarantine hotel rather than police or medical workers and the guards decided to have sex with the the girls in quarantine and it is still spreading from that, I could go on but it';s painful

the podcast was done on Tuesday before they had details of families being allowed in QLD so I would say If this happens most families would go.

Oh ok, because he did also apparently mention he wouldn't want his family to be quarantined in a hotel for 14 days, so that wasn't an option for him, and he wants a bye instead, to be able to head home.
Apparently all families that do go over to Queensland have to quarantine. So not sure where that leaves Pendles, and his thinking.

Dan started off well with his governance at the time of the initial lockdown, so much so he was probably leading the pack in relation to other state premiers.
Unfortunately for him, things have gone seriously awry, and know this may well cost him his job.

Will just go to show, whomever can win this, it will mean so much more to them. With all the travelling, leaving families, hubs, and all the challenges that come with it. It will be the team with the mental strength to power through.
Yep. You may not have to be as good a team to win this year. But you're going to have to be bloody mentally strong and resilient. And cometh the finals, you'll have to be bloody good.

If Gil and Co can pull this off, we should build statues for them. They've been awesome.

I thought that Gil was a statue...

I've said before that I'm not especially invested in footy this year, but hard not to be impressed by the AFL's efforts at keeping the show on the road.

The federal government shut the national border fairly early on. Queensland closed it's state border also. We (I live in Qld) had a break out and issued stage 3 quarantine orders and supported that with a rigorous contact tracing and testing regime. Plus people have been pretty disciplined with isolation and hygeine. People get its important. Things are pretty much normal now. Like you we're a big state and spread out. We've had a bit over 1,000 cases total and 6 deaths over the course of the pandemic

I thought that Gil was a statue...

I've said before that I'm not especially invested in footy this year, but hard not to be impressed by the AFL's efforts at keeping the show on the road.
His lumbering ruck play in the ammos may well have been accurately described as statuesque. But yes, they have done a mighty job in getting it even this far. Getting the season to a Grand Final would be an immense achievement.

Good thing about the Qld mega-hub (yes, just invented the term) is that it will make it far easier to arrange the remaining matchups. I was wondering how they were going to go in say round 14 when Team X had only Teams Y and Z to play to round out the season, yet they were in separate hubs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back