Multiplat Rage 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys finished this yet? I just beat the game...final boss was kinda easy for me coz I was so upgraded and powerful. The ending was a joke but I guess it leaves things open for a sequel.

Not finished. Won't be for a while. I play when my son is napping. I don't get criticisms of the game's length or that the wasteland is "empty" (pretty much the only criticisms in all the reviews I've read) - my map is absolutely chock full of icons, of things I've done or need to do.

I don't think I'll finish it until I've pumped 20 hours into it. I am a bit of a completionist, love ticking off the icons, but when combat is this fun, who can blame me?

My GOTY so far.

I don't get criticisms of the game's length or that the wasteland is "empty" (pretty much the only criticisms in all the reviews I've read) - my map is absolutely chock full of icons, of things I've done or need to do.

I think you misunderstood what they mean by empty. Have you played any of the Farcry games? Because if you had, then I think the criticism of Rage 2's open world is pretty self-explanatory.

Here's what they mean. In Rage 2, the easiest route to reach icons on the map is via the roads. If you stick to the roads then you'll get to the icons on your map, and along the way you'll encounter enemy skirmishes on the side of the road, and enemy convoys that you can do battle against, and cars that want to race you. That's all well and good. But the roads are surrounded by vast expanses of open wilderness, and that's where the problem lies with the game's open world. When you venture away from the roads and traverse these open spaces of wilderness, there's nothing to interact with or do. The open world looks beautiful, but it feels lifeless and barren. Sure, there are question marks dotted around the map for you to go to, like bandit dens and Sentry Towers and so forth, but the environment itself is not interactive. If you compare Rage 2 to Farcry then you'll see what I mean. In the Farcry games there are wild animals everywhere that make the world feel alive. You can hunt them and use the items you get from their carcasses to craft items. You can also tame some of them and use them to your advantage. When you're exploring away from the roads, you encounter things that create a sense of danger and unpredictability, and give you something to do. There's also more random encounters with NPCs and enemies in these environments. Thus, Farcry's open world has a much greater sense of randomness, like anything can happen and that makes it interesting.

The problem with Rage 2 is that the open world is merely a backdrop; it's a means to get from one location to the next. The game gives you no incentive to venture away from the roads and explore the vast expanses of wilderness because it's lifeless. You literally have nothing to gain by exploring the wilderness.

When you're playing Farcry, you still feel like you're experiencing the game while you're travelling from one location to the next. Conversely, when you're wading through Rage 2's barren landscapes, you feel like you're just trying to get to the next icon on the map so you can start experiencing the game again.

BTW I'm not hating on Rage 2 and I prefer it over Farcry, I'm just trying to explain where these criticisms are coming from.

I think you misunderstood what they mean by empty. Have you played any of the Farcry games? Because if you had, then I think the criticism of Rage 2's open world is pretty self-explanatory.

Here's what they mean. In Rage 2, the easiest route to reach icons on the map is via the roads. If you stick to the roads then you'll get to the icons on your map, and along the way you'll encounter enemy skirmishes on the side of the road, and enemy convoys that you can do battle against, and cars that want to race you. That's all well and good. But the roads are surrounded by vast expanses of open wilderness, and that's where the problem lies with the game's open world. When you venture away from the roads and traverse these open spaces of wilderness, there's nothing to interact with or do. The open world looks beautiful, but it feels lifeless and barren. Sure, there are question marks dotted around the map for you to go to, like bandit dens and Sentry Towers and so forth, but the environment itself is not interactive. If you compare Rage 2 to Farcry then you'll see what I mean. In the Farcry games there are wild animals everywhere that make the world feel alive. You can hunt them and use the items you get from their carcasses to craft items. You can also tame some of them and use them to your advantage. When you're exploring away from the roads, you encounter things that create a sense of danger and unpredictability, and give you something to do. There's also more random encounters with NPCs and enemies in these environments. Thus, Farcry's open world has a much greater sense of randomness, like anything can happen and that makes it interesting.

The problem with Rage 2 is that the open world is merely a backdrop; it's a means to get from one location to the next. The game gives you no incentive to venture away from the roads and explore the vast expanses of wilderness because it's lifeless. You literally have nothing to gain by exploring the wilderness.

When you're playing Farcry, you still feel like you're experiencing the game while you're travelling from one location to the next. Conversely, when you're wading through Rage 2's barren landscapes, you feel like you're just trying to get to the next icon on the map so you can start experiencing the game again.

BTW I'm not hating on Rage 2 and I prefer it over Farcry, I'm just trying to explain where these criticisms are coming from.

Yeah true. It's a good thing I find all that extra padding, like hunting and crafting and all the rest, boring af. Tedious busywork.

I've crossed over 20 hours with no end in site. This game is huge for an FPS.

Anyone else got the mech vehicle that came out in the last update? When I get inside the mech, the weapons don't work. All it can do is walk, run and jump. Am I missing something here, or is it just a bug that the weapons are not working?

A couple of new enemy types were added with the last DLC.

You have the "junk mech", which have a big health bar but they're piss easy to kill with the smart rocket launcher.

There's also these dog/hyena type creatures that come running up to you and chomp at you. They're a pain in the ass cuz they're fast and low to the ground, making 'em hard to shoot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have enjoyed the first few hours I've head on this. Agree that the menus are pretty arse though.

It gets beyond epic when you upgrade all your abilities/weapons to the max. You can really troll the piss outa bandit camps when you use invisibility (fully upgraded rush ability) combined with other abilities.

The Rise of the Ghosts expansion should be dropping anytime now. It's supposed to be in August but they still haven't given a specific date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back