Random NON FOOTY thoughts not worthy of a thread: Edition II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...great trucking songs of the Renaissance!

As much as I rate 'Hot Dogma' also, the above gets my vote for best TISM album. Not a dud track to be seen on the (lengthy) first side, and it has a bunch of my favourite songs of theirs - Saturday Night Palsy, I Drive A Truck, Fosters Car Park Boogie, If You're Creative Get Stuffed, Choose Bad Smack, 40 Years - Then Death, I'm Interested In Apathy, and Martin Scorcese Is Really Quite A Jovial Fellow.

I used to see them live a lot back then. While it wasn't exactly their strongest effort lyrics-wise, my all-time fave TISM song is another one from around that time, I'll Ave Ya. It didn't make it onto 'Truckin' Songs' and was only included on 'Hot Dogma' in a later expanded version of the album, but it was an early live favourite and always did a very good job of whipping the crowd into a frenzy. (The shows around that time, particularly at the Old Greek Theatre, were insane. Surprised the joint didn't collapse.)

This is from a show at the Old Greek in '91....

(Gaso getting chucked off stage.)

And not sure what gig this is from, but it's just nuts....

As much as I rate 'Hot Dogma' also, the above gets my vote for best TISM album. Not a dud track to be seen on the (lengthy) first side, and it has a bunch of my favourite songs of theirs - Saturday Night Palsy, I Drive A Truck, Fosters Car Park Boogie, If You're Creative Get Stuffed, Choose Bad Smack, 40 Years - Then Death, I'm Interested In Apathy, and Martin Scorcese Is Really Quite A Jovial Fellow.

I used to see them live a lot back then. While it wasn't exactly their strongest effort lyrics-wise, my all-time fave TISM song is another one from around that time, I'll Ave Ya. It didn't make it onto 'Truckin' Songs' and was only included on 'Hot Dogma' in a later expanded version of the album, but it was an early live favourite and always did a very good job of whipping the crowd into a frenzy. (The shows around that time, particularly at the Old Greek Theatre, were insane. Surprised the joint didn't collapse.)

The motto for the Grumpy Old Thread should be 'Even s**t shits me.'

I am assuming you saw them in Melbourne.

We used to go to the Palace in St Kilda (the nightclub)...Monash Uni...Latrobe...and I remember one club somewhere in Swan Street....all around 1988-1990.

I'll 'Ave Ya is also my favourite TISM song. And I think you're underrating it's lyrics. For example, the first verse of:

"You look like Yassa Arafat,
You look like Indira Ghandi,
You look like Andre Gromeyko,
You look like Roberts; Sandy."

is very solid IMHO.

I rushed out and bought the vinyl version of Hot Dogma when it was originally released, only to be bitterly disappointed at the absence of this track. As a result, I had to purchase the cassette version which did contain it. Being a student at the time, this double expenditure led to me foregoing 2 Minute Noodles for a couple of weeks.

www.tism.w*nker.com is my favourite album. Some quality tracks like Whatareya, Thunderbirds Are Coming Out, The Parable of Glenn McGrath’s Haircut and I Might Be a campaigner, but I’m Not a F***ing campaigner.

Might go home and put a couple of their DVDs on tonight.

I am assuming you saw them in Melbourne.

We used to go to the Palace in St Kilda (the nightclub)...Monash Uni...Latrobe...and I remember one club somewhere in Swan Street....all around 1988-1990.

.....yep, and The Central Club in Richmond, Prince Of Wales, The Club in Collingwood.

I'll 'Ave Ya is also my favourite TISM song. And I think you're underrating it's lyrics. For example, the first verse of:

"You look like Yassa Arafat,
You look like Indira Ghandi,
You look like Andre Gromeyko,
You look like Roberts; Sandy."

is very solid IMHO.

Fair call.

www.tism.w*nker.com is my favourite album. Some quality tracks like Whatareya, Thunderbirds Are Coming Out, The Parable of Glenn McGrath’s Haircut and I Might Be a campaigner, but I’m Not a F*cking campaigner.

Excellent album. Sold a copy of it recently for a very tidy sum, too.

Might go home and put a couple of their DVDs on tonight.

Ha, just been listening to 'Truckin' Songs'.

Was chuckling away at this gem.....

I can take Ronald Reagan
I can take Menachem Begin
I can take tetraplegia
I can take total amnesia
I can take black spiky hair
I can take germ warfare
I can take Chasers and Inflation
I can take hyperventilation
I can take bowel dysfunction
I can take nuclear destruction
I can even take Mike Willesee....well, at a pinch
But one thing I cannot take is Derryn ****ing Hinch

.....yep, and The Central Club in Richmond, Prince Of Wales, The Club in Collingwood.

Fair call.

I can take Ronald Reagan
I can take tetraplegia
I can take total amnesia
I can take germ warfare
Yes, black spiky hair (usually accompanied by a leather biker jacket) was to the late 80s what the shovel beard and highly curated sleeve tatt is to today.

Too bad Fosters is no longer around.

Fair call.

I can take Ronald Reagan
I can take tetraplegia
I can take total amnesia
I can take germ warfare

Chasers....lol

My only experience of TISM is via The Bennies.

This is pretty cool though. It probably belongs in the covers thread but a TISM member actually joined them on stage for a rendition of Ol' Man River recently.

Any baseball fans here ? How are the Cubs going ? I remember watching a 30 for 30 doco on Steve bartman and see they are playing LA in the pre lim equivalent ?

2-2 in the NLCS.

Really want them to get up and win. They came close last year, think they'll take the title this year.

So anyway I reckon the Hawks have done poorly out of this trade week. My Hawks mate is reving me up about betting on it. I am thinking of proposing one of the two bets:

- A slab that the hawks will miss the 8
- A sixpack (me) versus a slab (him) that the Kangaroos will finish higher than the Hawks

Which is the better bet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only experience of TISM is via The Bennies.

This is pretty cool though. It probably belongs in the covers thread but a TISM member actually joined them on stage for a rendition of Ol' Man River recently.

Agreed, that was pretty cool.

Love that main riff. So simple but effective.

Any baseball fans here ? How are the Cubs going ? I remember watching a 30 for 30 doco on Stevebartman and see they are playing LA in the pre lim equivalent ?
Yeah, Rangers fan here. Checked out when the Rangers didn't give a yelp in the ALDS.

Cubs look the goods though.

The Parable of Glenn McGrath’s Haircut and I Might Be a Campaigner, But I’m Not A F***ing Campaigner.

The above, and listening to Truckin' Songs today, got me thinking about some of their brilliant song titles. Those two are right up there for me.

Some others I enjoy....

While My Catarrh Gently Weeps
They Shoot Heroin, Don't They?
All Homeboys Are Dickheads
Would The Last Person To Leave Please Turn Out The Enlightenment?
Fatboy Slim Dusty
(DF-isms worthy)
Ten Points For A Razor Scooter
And The Ass Said To The Angel: "Wanna Play Kick-To-Kick?"

And of course, again on a footy-related tip, arguably the best of the lot.....

I Rooted A Girl Who Rooted A Guy Who Rooted A Girl Who Rooted A Guy Who Rooted A Girl Who Rooted Shane Crawford

I'm tipping they did all their money on costumes and defending defamation actions.

And lawnmowers. Apparently they are the only band in history to have a lawnmower stolen from one of their gigs. True story.

That lawnmower was probably stolen and then used on Polyanna's cd cover for Longplayer or in their video clip for Keep Me Guessing.

Not quite on topic but with a TISM theme.

In the mid 90's, a mate of mine was quite keen on a young lady but was having trouble moving the relationship to the next level because the young lady's housemate, Greg, was always hanging around (we suspected he was keen too). We soon described the source of our mate's dilemma as Greg The Stop Sign.

Eventually my mate's persistence paid off and he smugly advised us one morning that thereafter we should describe the housemate as Greg The Give Way Sign.

Edit: um, it was funny at the time ...

TISM played the last gig at the Punter's Club too.

I was living up here at the time but my brother went along and phoned me on his mobile and I listened to that gig until the his credit ran out or the battery went dead.

They were playing Saturday Night Palsy as the phone went dead. So appropriate.

TISM - they are a Melbourne Institution as much as the North Melbourne Footy Club.

TISM played the last gig at the Punter's Club too.

I was living up here at the time but my brother went along and phoned me on his mobile and I listened to that gig until the his credit ran out or the battery went dead.

They were playing Saturday Night Palsy as the phone went dead. So appropriate.

TISM - they are a Melbourne Institution as much as the North Melbourne Footy Club.

Maybe they could play half time at Home games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back