Random thoughts not worthy of a thread (Part I)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Found this lovely article on Gene Wilder in yesterday's HUN. I'm behind in my reading - a long story. Hopefully, I've dodged the firewall. [apparently not - bastards!]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...d/news-story/0c6f36f90b419920b2ff466af0d34cbe

My favourite part is where author Shaun Carney is explaining GW's greatest onscreen performance was in the Woody Allen movie Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask.

GW plays a doctor. His patient, an Armenian shepherd, confesses to being in love with a sheep, Daisy. GW's character meets and falls heavily for Daisy, taking her to fine hotels and restaurants etc etc.

According to Carney, GW's funniest moment is his reaction to his patient's confession of his love for Daisy:

He '"takes 25 seconds - an eternity in a comedy - to respond. His eyes dart from side to side, he shifts around in his seat and eventually whispers "Oh.....I see."'

Ok so if something is wrong you fix it right? Or at least try.

For 20 years everyone has known that the Brownlow is a mid-fielder's medal. Fact.
Why has no-one tried to formally address this with the umpires who give the votes?
They just giggle it off.

If there was ever a living, breathing example of why our umpires just do not understand our game, then this is it.
How come everyone in the broader AFL public realise the value of defenders, forwards and ruckmen yet the people adjudicating the game cannot?

This post could equally go in the Grumpy thread.

Last edited:

For 20 years everyone has known that the Brownlow is a mid-fielder's medal?
Why has no-one tried to formally address this with the umpires who give the votes?
They just giggle it off.

If there was ever a living, breathing example of why our umpires just do not understand our game, then this is it.
How come everyone in the broader AFL public realise the value of defenders, forwards and ruckmen yet the people adjudicating the game cannot?

Might even need its own thread!

The Brownlow has become a worthless joke marketing exercise. Literally the only interest I have is whose better halves scrub up the best.
The Dangerfield love fest will be sickening this year & I won't be wasting my time on it

The Brownlow has become a worthless joke marketing exercise. Literally the only interest I have is whose better halves scrub up the best.
The Dangerfield love fest will be sickening this year & I won't be wasting my time on it

Wats the odds for him atm?

Wats worse is the backing of Dusty...plays in a losing team all year

For 20 years everyone has known that the Brownlow is a mid-fielder's medal. Fact.
They just giggle it off.

Duck agrees

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...oken-heres-how-to-fix-it-20160901-gr64ij.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the North finals banner with Jack on it - found it hard to be enthused

The issue of using journos or the public in contributing to the brownlow is that we will never have another winner. It needs to be independant

i put music on while i sleep just because i can. Anyway the other night the music woke me up at a fairly annoying hour (2 or 3am) but instead of going to my phone and turning it down or off i turned my light on and picked up a book. Yes, i actually thought the music was coming from a ******* book. I started looking through the bloody pages, looking for volume buttons on the sides, anything to turn the music down. After a few minutes i realised it was my coming from my phone and promptly turned it off. WTF is wrong with me?

Don't know. Don't care. I've had about as much of his puffed out chest peacock strut as I can take
He's clearly - with more than just daylight between him and who's next - the best player in the League this season. Why wouldn't you expect to see him interviewed at every opportunity? Seems like a bit of tall poppy syndrome to me. He's the biggest name at the moment in what is probably the biggest football code in the country so I don't know why you would expect not to see him.

Also, every time I see him interviewed I always come away thinking that he speaks really eloquently, that he's honest and that he has a great sense of humour. There could be much worse players to be the face of our game.

He's clearly - with more than just daylight between him and who's next - the best player in the League this season. Why wouldn't you expect to see him interviewed at every opportunity? Seems like a bit of tall poppy syndrome to me. He's the biggest name at the moment in what is probably the biggest football code in the country so I don't know why you would expect not to see him.

Also, every time I see him interviewed I always come away thinking that he speaks really eloquently, that he's honest and that he has a great sense of humour. There could be much worse players to be the face of our game.
All valid points & fair enough too, I should take this style of whinging to the grumpy old thread. This is probably more to do with my level of disgruntlement with the season in general & the OTT fawning from commentators every time he goes near the football. He's a terrific footballer with a very well developed sense of self who I would love in blue & white vertical stripes but not so much in the hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back