10. Mark Riccuito
11. Nate Fyfe
12. Sam Mitchell
13. Jimmy Bartel
14. Dane Swan
15. Matt Priddis
16. Adam Cooney
17. Trent Cotchin

Cotchin's above Cooney and Priddis but other than that this is and was a bloody good list for 2017 and now imo

If we were ranking mid/fwds Dusty would be at the top.

Why not go on average Brownlow votes over the player’s whole career? Source https://afltables.com/afl/brownlow/totals0.html

1. Nathan Fyfe 1.07
2. Patrick Dangerfield 0.90
3. Dustin Martin 0.83
4. Gary Ablett Jnr 0.81
5. Chris Judd 0.80
6. Dayne Swan 0.78
7. Sam Mitchell 0.75
8. Nathan Buckley 0.66
9. Matt Priddis 0.65
10. Simon Black 0.61
11. Trent Cotchin 0.60
12. Ben Cousins 0.59
13. Mark Riccuito 0.49
14. Adam Goodes 0.47
15. James Bartel 0.42
16. Adam Cooney 0.36
17. Jason Akermanis 0.36

Goodes is the only non-midfielder in the list, so apart from him, we are comparing like to like.

Of the current players without a Brownlow medal, the following have the highest votes:
Joel Selwood 0.75
Patrick Cripps 0.74
Marcus Bontempelli 0.72
Scott Pendlebury 0.70
Buddy Franklin 0.62
Josh Kennedy (SYD) 0.60
Lachie Neale 0.59

There is a case for retired players to move up the order, because their averages include both the beginning and twilight of their career, where votes would be expected to go down. You would also expect Cripps, the Bont and Neale to improve their average as they reach the peaks of their careers.

Fyfe really should have three medals by now. The year he missed out for an accidental bump was Priddis’ year. Priddis polled on average above what I would have expected, he also won a Sandover while on the Eagles rookie list. Fyfe’s vote catching appeal reflects his abilities. Clearly underrated on these boards, and could become an all time great like Skilton , Reynolds, Stewart, Walker, McIntosh, Farmer or Cable. Haydn Bunton Snr with 6 umpires medals was way ahead of everyone, in the vote catching stakes.

Last edited:
Ablett
Akermanis
Bartel
Black
Buckley
Cooney
Cotchin
Cousins
Dangerfield
Fyfe
Goodes
Judd
Martin
Mitchell
Priddis
Ricciuto
Swan
Woewodin
Lol. Continually seeing Cooney, Cotchin above Mitchell is quite hilarious.

I keep seeing ‘over their careers’. Sammy would be right out in front along with Swanny.

1. Ablett Jnr
2. Chris Judd
------------------------------------
3. Simon Black
4. Ben Cousins
5. Nathan Buckley
6. Patrick Dangerfield
7. Jason Akermanis
8. Nat Fyfe
9. Mark Riccuito
10. Adam Goodes
11. Dustin Martin
12. Sam Mitchell
13. Dane Swan
14. Jimmy Bartel
15. Trent Cotchin
16. Adam Cooney
17. Matt Priddis
18. Shane Woewodin

I'd probably slot Robert Harvey into 6 ahead of Dangerfield if he was an option.
I congratulate you on having a crack on this without any bias. Close to spot on.

I congratulate you on having a crack on this without any bias. Close to spot on.

That post was a while ago.

Dustin in all honesty probably moves into the Buckley level now.

Fyfe also given he is now a dual brownlow medalist.

Ablett
Black
Buckley
Martin
Judd
Ricciuto
Goodes
Fyffe
Cousins
Akermanis
Mitchell
Swan
Cotchin
Cooney
Dangerfield
Priddis
Woewodin
Bartel

Eh I'll just do a top 5

1. Ablett
2. Judd
3. Danger
4. Fyfe
5. Martin

Cousins tainted IMO. Who knows what he was taking to perform at that standard.

Bottom 5 no order:
Woewodin
Bartel
Cooney
Pridda
Cotch

Why not go on average Brownlow votes over the player’s whole career? Source https://afltables.com/afl/brownlow/totals0.html

1. Nathan Fyfe 1.07
2. Patrick Dangerfield 0.90
3. Dustin Martin 0.83
4. Gary Ablett Jnr 0.81
5. Chris Judd 0.80
6. Dayne Swan 0.78
7. Sam Mitchell 0.75
8. Nathan Buckley 0.66
9. Matt Priddis 0.65
10. Simon Black 0.61
11. Trent Cotchin 0.60
12. Ben Cousins 0.59
13. Mark Riccuito 0.49
14. Adam Goodes 0.47
15. James Bartel 0.42
16. Adam Cooney 0.36
17. Jason Akermanis 0.36

Goodes is the only non-midfielder in the list, so apart from him, we are comparing like to like.

Of the current players without a Brownlow medal, the following have the highest votes:
Joel Selwood 0.75
Patrick Cripps 0.74
Marcus Bontempelli 0.72
Scott Pendlebury 0.70
Buddy Franklin 0.62
Josh Kennedy (SYD) 0.60
Lachie Neale 0.59

There is a case for retired players to move up the order, because their averages include both the beginning and twilight of their career, where votes would be expected to go down. You would also expect Cripps, the Bont and Neale to improve their average as they reach the peaks of their careers.

Fyfe really should have three medals by now. The year he missed out for an accidental bump was Priddis’ year. Priddis polled on average above what I would have expected, he also won a Sandover while on the Eagles rookie list. Fyfe’s vote catching appeal reflects his abilities. Clearly underrated on these boards, and could become an all time great like Skilton , Reynolds, Stewart, Walker, McIntosh, Farmer or Cable. Haydn Bunton Snr with 6 umpires medals was way ahead of everyone, in the vote catching stakes.

I forgot Shane Woewodin 2000 Brownlow medallist with an average of 0.30 votes per game. Clearly the worst in the 2000s, but on a par with Brad Hardie (0.3), Robert DiPierdimenico (0.29) and Gerard Healy (0.26). Kelvin Templeton (0.23) had the lowest average votes of any Brownlow medallist (but as a full forward).

Harold Bray (0.88) had the highest average of any player not to receive the medal. A St. Kilda centreman who finished in the top three three times. Unlucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back