Rate the brownlow medallists

Remove this Banner Ad

People talk about Judd being one of the best ever, well I can tell you he peaked at West Coast. He was severely hampered by injuries and whilst he was unbelievable at Carlton in keeping them relevant, there were players better than him. Goodes was one. Jimmy Bartel is also one that is seriously underrated when discussing 'elite' players. And whilst this is a thread about Brownlow winners, Scott Pendlebury is one of the best players and has been for well over a decade.

The media absolutely pump Judd & Ablett to the point of being ridiculous.

I wonder if Cuz would have gone on to win another Brownlow. His career essentially ended at 27/28 when he was a freak player.

No one in the history of the game has had a dominant year as dusty's 2017. So if you compare the year of brownlow winner, dusty takes the podium alone
If you compare whole careers, GAJ & Judd...rest just making up numbers (so far anyway). dusty or danger or fyfe still have time to change that.....

Over their careers to date.
Ablett
Dangerfield
Goodes
Judd
Black
Cotchin
Buckley
Akermanis
Bartel
Cousins
Mitchell
Ricciuto
Martin
Swan
Priddis
Fyfe
Cooney
Woewodin

Top 2 been in the top 2-3 players in the comp for 5 years , Goodes to Swan had multiple years of good/great without being elite. The bottom 4 had lees good to great years.
Do you seriously think Trent Cotchin has been better then Nathan Buckley??? That's laughable.

1.Chris Judd
2. Nathan Buckley
3. Sam Mitchell
4. Gary Ablett Jnr
5. Simon Black
6. Ben Cousins
7. Patrick Dangerfield
8. Nate Fyfe
9. Dustin Martin
10. Adam Goodes
11. Mark Riccuito
12. Jimmy Bartel
13. Dane Swan
14. Jason Akermanis
15. Matt Priddis
16. Trent Cotchin
17. Adam Cooney
18. Shane Woewodin

No one in the history of the game has had a dominant year as dusty's 2017. So if you compare the year of brownlow winner, dusty takes the podium alone
If you compare whole careers, GAJ & Judd...rest just making up numbers (so far anyway). dusty or danger or fyfe still have time to change that.....
Fyfes 2015 season was just as good if not better if we are basing it off the individual performances and not what the teams achieved.

1 Ablett
2 Judd
3 Mitchell
4 Dangerfield
5 Black
6 Buckley
7 Swan
8 Goodes
9 Fyfe
10 Cousins
11 Martin
12 Ricciuto
13 Priddis
14 Bartel
15 Watson*
16 Akermanis
17 Cotchin
18 Cooney
19 Woewodin

Last edited:
Fyfes 2015 season was just as good if not better if we are basing it off the individual performances and not what the teams achieved.

Let me refresh your memory with facts relating to Dusty's 2017 season.

AFL players association MVP (LM trophy)
AFL Coaches association champion player of the year
All Australian
Brownlow Medal
Premiership Medal
Norm Smith Medal
Gary Ayres Medal

Jack Dyer Medal

No doubt Fyfe was very good in 2015 but the above has never been achieved and i doubt it ever will be in the near future.
I can understand you personally prefer Fyfe as a player but you can't ignore the facts re Dusty.

All Australian
Brownlow Medal
Premiership Medal
Norm Smith Medal
Gary Ayres Medal

Jack Dyer Medal

No doubt Fyfe was very good in 2015 but the above has never been achieved and i doubt it ever will be in the near future.
I can understand you personally prefer Fyfe as a player but you can't ignore the facts re Dusty.
Mate it has nothing to do with who i prefer as a player, i love Dusty and i think anyone that doesn't must hate football because he is amazing to watch. I will also agree Dusty had a more successful 2017 and probably the most successful we have ever seen. In my opinion though Fyfe played better football and was more dominant throughout the 2015 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Australian
Brownlow Medal
Premiership Medal
Norm Smith Medal
Gary Ayres Medal

Jack Dyer Medal

So what? Just because he received those awards doesn't mean other people can't have a view that says they think other players were better at particular times. I.e Fyfe.

The Gary Ayres medal wasn't around in 2015, and Fyfe didn't play in a GF so couldn't have won a premiership or Norm Smith!

Mate it has nothing to do with who i prefer as a player, i love Dusty and i think anyone that doesn't must hate football because he is amazing to watch. I will also agree Dusty had a more successful 2017 and probably the most successful we have ever seen. In my opinion though Fyfe played better football and was more dominant throughout the 2015 season.
You're talking to a Richmond supporter here mate, the majority of them won't have anything of other people's opinions that don't start with 'Dusty is GOAT' or 'Richmond are the greatest'

1. Ablett Jnr
2. Chris Judd
3. Patrick Dangerfield
4. Ben Cousins
5. Mark Riccuito
6. Jason Akermanis
7. Simon Black
8. Nathan Buckley
9. Adam Goodes
10. Nat Fyfe
11. Jimmy Bartel
12. Dustin Martin
13. Dane Swan
14. Trent Cotchin
15. Sam Mitchell

16. Matt Priddis
17. Adam Cooney
19. Woewoedin

how can dusty be 12 when Leigh Mathews reckons he has had the greatest season of all time .

One is a premiership captain, the other isnt.

Bucks won a Norm Smith in a losing effort. Hardly all on him his club lost.

I really bristle at crediting team accomplishments to individuals. Sure, you don't just happen in to being a Premiership captain, but it's not something one can accomplish without 21 other dudes.

how can dusty be 12 when Leigh Mathews reckons he has had the greatest season of all time .

He cleared that up and explained he was only referring to the Brownlow/Premiership/Norm Smith aspect of his season. Greatest season an individual could achieve, the other 11 players may have not won all 3 but were far more skilled players.

This is a thread rating the Brownlow medalists. Not an individuals overall season.

Bucks won a Norm Smith in a losing effort. Hardly all on him his club lost.

I really bristle at crediting team accomplishments to individuals. Sure, you don't just happen in to being a Premiership captain, but it's not something one can accomplish without 21 other dudes.

fun fact , he didnt get a touch in the last 5 minutes of that Grand Final, but the norm smith votes had allready been lodged, and the pies lost

Actually its really easy to argue because Cotchin's not as good as Buckley was.

Disagree, one is a team player who captained his team to a place that club hadn't been for 37 long years. The other was one who left a club that won 3 premierships, stating he wanted to win premierships to with his new side, who then went on to lose 2 Grand Finals in a row to the team he left.

While both are brilliant players, one sacrificed padded possessions for the betterment of his side while the other chased individual glory, which he did achieve, while the other will go down as a legend, a Brownlow Medalist, a Premiership Captain. The other guy continues to take his side further and further down the ladder as a coach.

I finish by asking you this question and bear in mind one player still has multiple years ahead as a player, but who do you think would take more satisfaction from their career?

The guy who won a NS in a losing GF? Or the guy who lead, and I really mean lead, his side to a dominant premiership?

No contest!

1.Chris Judd
2. Nathan Buckley
3. Sam Mitchell
4. Gary Ablett Jnr
5. Simon Black
6. Ben Cousins
7. Patrick Dangerfield
8. Nate Fyfe
9. Dustin Martin
10. Adam Goodes
11. Mark Riccuito
12. Jimmy Bartel
13. Dane Swan
14. Jason Akermanis
15. Matt Priddis
16. Trent Cotchin
17. Adam Cooney
18. Shane Woewodin

This is actually a decent effort well done snake

Would have cotch above Priddis and Buckley heaps lower but otherwise pretty spot on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back