List Mgmt. Rating our Trade period (so far)

Rating out of 10?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Although we are definitely not finished and will no doubt be talking to both Gold Coast and St.Kilda in order to get 1 or even 2 picks in the top 5 - this is where we are at as it stands on completion of trade week.

CURRENT DRAFT HAND :
8, 13, 16, 21, 72 and 82.

IN

Tyson Stengle (traded from Richmond)
Shane McAdam (pre-listed State League player, rights traded from Carlton)
Pick No. 13 (from Carlton)
Pick No. 68* (from Gold Coast, on-traded to Richmond)
A future fifth-round draft selection (from Carlton)

OUT
Mitch McGovern (traded to Carlton)
Pick No. 40 (to Gold Coast)
Pick No. 68 (from Gold Coast, on-traded to Richmond)
A future fourth-round draft selection (to Gold Coast)
A future third-round draft selection (to Carlton)

I'm kicking things off with a Solid B.

I really like the addition of Stengle and McAdam, bit of unknown there in terms of talent ceiling. I'm proud of the club and how we have a great history of indigenous boys forming a close and supportive bond with eachother (hats off to McLeod and Betts espescially - They have always lead by example in terms of mentoring the young blokes) and getting the most of our each-other talent wise.

And we added another top 15 pick for McGovern.

I know Port have been more aggressive, but they have given away arguably their best player and 2 other blokes that have no doubt fallen in their top 5-6 BnF in recent years, we didn't do that. (Port did do bloody hell though to set up their draft position and add Mayes and Burton - Well played Scummers)

If we can somehow turn our picks 8, 13, 16, 21, 72, 82 + (2019 1st) into something like - 2,3, 21, 50 - I'm calling it an A - A+ (dare to dream)

C-

Underwhelmed by the gov trade. I know opinion is divided. I just feel he's hard to replace, was best 22, and contracted.

4 picks under 21 is good with our recruiting team, however given our list profile it's probably not ideal.

I agree that our trade periods seem to lack strategy. I have said for a long time that we are reactive traders - we react to players leaving and try to make the best of it. The only proactive trade I can think of was Vince for the MCrouch pick, but even then that was a reaction to our draft sanctions. Gibbs was a good get but it would be better to poach someone out of contract.

Given that we recently played in a GF, we would ideally be adding first 22 players via a trade, rather than going back to the draft. Its a strength of ours - but it's a short to medium term set back as you go back to 0 on the development clock.

Hamish will get good players with those picks, but it's more of a rebuild move. We are getting better value for our players than in the Noble era, but failing to attract ready made players, while losing them every year is starting to add up.

I don't know how you rate it.

Listening to some of the commentary on trade radio the view appears to be that we did well out the Gov trade.

I would have liked a bit more of an improvement in the team however I don't really know what the value of Mcadam is, I guess that is going to be the point of difference for us.

overall I give it a solid meh

Fail. While adding depth in small forward I'm not impressed. I love the club and to see port once again dominate recruitment it really bothers me.
If we don't land any of the big 4 and the power net a few it'll be a massive fail.

B- I'd say.

The MM deal was about that and the rest...what rest?

If that was the end of the pick trading then I'd go a C, purely due to the what could have been, but the pick trading is purely rated from who you pick up, not what picks you have

Fail. While adding depth in small forward I'm not impressed. I love the club and to see port once again dominate recruitment it really bothers me.
If we don't land any of the big 4 and the power net a few it'll be a massive fail.

Why are people on here always so preoccupied with what Port are doing? Judge our trade period on its merit's, not on what Port have done. I'd give it a B-, I was probably in the minority and think 13 and McAdam for Gov was good buisness. Stengle was neither here nor there. I can understand the appeal of trading up but I think allowing Hamish to do, what Hamish does best, and have 4 top 21 draft picks will reap big dividends. Just think if he nails those 4 picks, thats huge.

Our formerly best forward line in the league has lost Cameron and McGovern to be replaced by a guy from Ricmond's reserves and a SANFL player

We got about what McGovern is worth if he was uncontracted.

Folded early as if we were going to make other moves. Made no other moves.

Why are people on here always so preoccupied with what Port are doing? Judge our trade period on its merit's, not on what Port have done. I'd give it a B-, I was probably in the minority and think 13 and McAdam for Gov was good buisness. Stengle was neither here nor there. I can understand the appeal of trading up but I think allowing Hamish to do, what Hamish does best, and have 4 top 21 draft picks will reap big dividends. Just think if he nails those 4 picks, thats huge.
At this point I'm only upgrading if it's for Pick 1, if that's unachievable take the hand we hold to the draft, 4 picks that high in a deep draft can set us up for years to come.

At this point I'm only upgrading if it's for Pick 1, if that's unachievable take the hand we hold to the draft, 4 picks that high in a deep draft can set us up for years to come.
Bicks. Have you seen enough of jye caldwell to think if he had been injury free that he would have been in the conversation to be a possible top 5 pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bicks. Have you seen enough of jye caldwell to think if he had been injury free that he would have been in the conversation to be a possible top 5 pick
Absolutely he's the next best mid in this draft after Bailey Smith IMO. Sam Walsh is a very nice player but hasn't got the inside grunt or acceleration of those 2.

Can't justify anything more then a C currently.

McGovern trade was a tad unders, but at least it did end up filling one need of a small forward. The more i'm finding out about Stengle, the more confident I am in him being a good to seriously good player for us (seeing statistically, he smashed my main concern out of the park last season).

However, the lack of ruck backup is questionable at best, even if the spot goes to a Tom Campbell or something seeing Jacobs looked like he found the cliff and ROB seems to find new and creative ways to injure himself. Not only that, but in a draft where there is elite SA talent, and how valuable that is to us, it is disappointing we're currently sitting outside of an acceptable range to nail one, if not two of them. Currently for me, that's a fail.

All in all, it wasn't a bad trade period. It wasn't a good one either.

C. Neither good nor bad.

Did okay in the Gov trade even though I would much rather keep him.

Stengle looks worth a punt for almost zero cost. Small forward is a need given where betts is at.

Other than that, think we should have gone for a ruckman. Maybe we did I dunno. Think that's our most pressing need atm.

The trading up thing in indifferent about. Cap posted a good article talking about trading multiple good picks for one pointy end pick and how on average it's a poor option. It sounds like we've enquired but there has to be a limit as to what we give up. It's not black and white. The only trade I'd do is for 2 AND 3 and I doubt 8,13, 16 and 21 would do it. Put yourself in their shoes.

I think a lot of folks got their hopes up early by all the talk about our 'strong draft hand' (it was still only 8, 16 and 21) and Gov leaving (was never getting us a pick <10), thinking it guaranteed us a couple of high picks.

At the end of the day, if you look at Ogilvie's 1st round draftees, he's pretty much nailed all of them. To have (nearly) 4 in one draft is pretty exciting for the medium to long term.

Our formerly best forward line in the league has lost Cameron and McGovern to be replaced by a guy from Ricmond's reserves and a SANFL player

We got about what McGovern is worth if he was uncontracted.

Folded early as if we were going to make other moves. Made no other moves.

Bingo.

We got a rookie who couldn’t get a game, and an SANFL player we overlooked repeatedly.

Pathetic trade period - made even worse by the fact Port appear to have our maneuvered us at every turn.

Once again, we made no moves - we lost a contracted player at his wish, and did nothing to improve our starting side.

Who are the contenders for next year?

Richmond
Hawks
WCE
Collingwood

Crows
Port
GWS
Melbourne

Out of those sides, who improved their chances at the 2019 flag?

Last edited:
Captain Obvious here... You can't judge any trade period for a season or two. If whoever we pick at 13 becomes a star or if one (or both) of Stengle/McAdam become regular best-22 players, then it's been a success. If none of the above occurs, then clearly a failed trade period. My only irritant during the trade period was the pick 40 giveaway to Sydney - even though I understand why it was given. Now are attention turns to the trade picks period (tomorrow until Nov. 16) and of course draft night. Be interesting to see if we draft up, or stay as is. Merit in both strategies.

Absolutely he's the next best mid in this draft after Bailey Smith IMO. Sam Walsh is a very nice player but hasn't got the inside grunt or acceleration of those 2.
Could be interesting what Haggis does with our 4 picks, I think you either go all in on Rankine/Lukosius or just stay as is and likely end up with 4 of Hately, Caldwell, Collier-Dawkins, Valente, McHenry, Ely Smith, Stocker, Bailey Williams etc.. I personally don't mind grabbing Victorian blokes if need be. Our club has always had quality players from VIC in there, not all of them have left.

We shouldn't JUST be grabbing SA kids to avoid players leaving. We did this with Phil Davis and look how that worked out.

Give me a break. With all due respect, who cares what Port are doing?

Port 'dominated' recruitment last year by bringing in a bunch of over hyped spuds which helped them spectacularly crash out of finals. They 'dominated' recruitment this year by pushing out two of their top 5 players and by doing so, actively adding to their biggest deficiency (in lack of speed) while bringing in more magic beans in Mayes and Burton. Sure they have a great draft hand, but they've taken a massive hit to get there.

On the other hand we got value for McGovern (although not Adelaide bf value). We have an amazing draft hand without having to sell the farm and we still have one of the best talent identifiers in the league to capatalise on this. Not forgetting that the trading of picks is still a possibility to move up and nab one the elite SA prospects, however I'd be just as happy to take best available. We made positive steps towards addressing our coaching deficiencies and injury management which will finally get Campo away from the mids and our players back on the park.

I agree we didn't set the world on fire this trade period, but it's hardly a fail.

We got 13 for Gov. Port got 15 for Whingard. :p Can’t rate our trading period until you see the end results on draft night. Happy to see what Stengle and McAdam can bring to the table for next to nothing cost. Four picks under 22. We’ve never had that before. Very excited to see what Hamish can do with those. If we don’t manage a Rankine or Luko I’d be pretty confident of getting them in a couple of years.

Back