Draft Review 2008 - Re-do the 2008 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Good list - Jetta, Walters and Shuey too high for me.
Hartlett doesn't make top 30 either based on output. Watts is well ahead of him. He is like Motlop without the good games
Shuey is better than all the players below him. Sidebum was better than him a few years ago but shueys form in the last few years has been much better. he doesn't need a bulk of the footy like rocky or sidebottom to hurt you either and can be BOG with low 20's possession. Not elite but not far off it either.

Shuey is better than all the players below him. Sidebum was better than him a few years ago but shueys form in the last few years has been much better. he doesn't need a bulk of the footy like rocky or sidebottom to hurt you either and can be BOG with low 20's possession. Not elite but not far off it either.

Interestingly he has started off with three 30 disposal games this year, at a quick glance I don't think he's ever had 3 in a row. My perception was that he a lot of what he's been able to achieve in the past has been due to superior tap work from NN, which isn't the case this year obviously.

How have you seen his start to the year?

Interestingly he has started off with three 30 disposal games this year, at a quick glance I don't think he's ever had 3 in a row. My perception was that he a lot of what he's been able to achieve in the past has been due to superior tap work from NN, which isn't the case this year obviously.

How have you seen his start to the year?
Last year he had a career best year and statistically everything was up except probably goals. I think last year he really matuered and understood that he needed to go to another level if we needed to cover NN's loss. He also was breaking tags on a frequent basis. Imo he was ok v north but our best player in the last two games. As I said I don't rate him elite just yet but if he puts in another season like last year's one then I think you could just about call him elite.

Has been a while since this thread has been discussed - IMO Sloane has gone to number 1.

1 - Sloane
2 - Hannebery
3 - Nic Nat
4 - Beams
5 - Shuey
6 - Sidebottom
7 - Bruest
8 - Hurley
9 - Rockcliff
10 - Ziebell
11 - Picken
12 - Davis
13 - Hill
14 - T Lynch
15 - Walters
16 - Shiels

Very even draft. I'd wouldn't trade a 2015 Hurley for anyone in this draft yet it's hard to argue with where you've placed him.

Walters is also a freak but I have trouble arguing that you've rated him incorrectly.

1. Daniel Hannebery
2. Rory Sloane
3. Dayne Beams
4. Nic Naitanui
5. Luke Shuey
6. Luke Breust
7. Steele Sidebottom
8. Michael Hurley
9. Tom Rockliff
10. Stephen Hill
11. Phil Davis
12. Michael Walters
13. Jack Ziebell
14. Liam Picken
15. Tom Lynch (Adelaide)
16. Hamish Hartlett
17. Neville Jetta
18. Liam Shiels
19. Steven Motlop
20. Daniel Rich
21. Matthew Broadbent
22. David Zaharakis
23. Jack Redden
24. Chris Yarran
25. Jeff Garlett

That's probably where I'll stop

1. Daniel Hannebery
2. Rory Sloane
3. Dayne Beams
4. Nic Naitanui
5. Luke Shuey
6. Luke Breust
7. Steele Sidebottom
8. Michael Hurley
9. Tom Rockliff
10. Stephen Hill
11. Phil Davis
12. Michael Walters
13. Jack Ziebell
14. Liam Picken
15. Tom Lynch (Adelaide)
16. Hamish Hartlett
17. Neville Jetta
18. Liam Shiels
19. Steven Motlop
20. Daniel Rich
21. Matthew Broadbent
22. David Zaharakis
23. Jack Redden
24. Chris Yarran
25. Jeff Garlett

So Chris Yarran had a better career than Jack Watts ?

I'm renowned for being tough on Watts, but if he and a player like Hartlett (and others on your list) were on the open market I doubt many would take Hartlett. How many would take Yarran ?

1. Daniel Hannebery
2. Rory Sloane
3. Dayne Beams
4. Nic Naitanui
5. Luke Shuey
6. Luke Breust
7. Steele Sidebottom
8. Michael Hurley
9. Tom Rockliff
10. Stephen Hill
11. Phil Davis
12. Michael Walters
13. Jack Ziebell
14. Liam Picken
15. Tom Lynch (Adelaide)
16. Hamish Hartlett
17. Neville Jetta
18. Liam Shiels
19. Steven Motlop
20. Daniel Rich
21. Matthew Broadbent
22. David Zaharakis
23. Jack Redden
24. Chris Yarran
25. Jeff Garlett

Seriously doubt any side is taking Neville Jetta ahead of the likes of Shiels, Motlop and Rich. Shut down back pockets who can't play tall are not high value players.

1. Naitanui
2. Hurley
3. Beams
4. Hannebery
5. Sloane
6. Shuey
7. Sidebottom
8. Rockliff
9. Watts
10. Picken
11. Ziebell
12. Davis
13. Zaharakis
14. Lynch
15. Rich
16. Hill

What a s**t draft cop if Naitanui, Sloane, Hannerbury are considered your top picks.

It's not the strongest top 3, but reckon you're being a bit harsh.
What would they be up to? 7 All Australians? With 4-5 years left each

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the strongest top 3, but reckon you're being a bit harsh.
What would they be up to? 7 All Australians? With 4-5 years left each

When your second best player comes from this draft and people don't rate him as top 10, it is understandable why he is upset

So Chris Yarran had a better career than Jack Watts ?

I'm renowned for being tough on Watts, but if he and a player like Hartlett (and others on your list) were on the open market I doubt many would take Hartlett. How many would take Yarran ?
Yarran was splendid in the early years but he probably falls behind Watts.

I'd take Hartlett's career output over Watts' every day. Admittedly I forgot about Watts but he'd perhaps only just scrape into the top 20. I'm not going to spend three hours carefully studying players' histories before coming to a formal conclusion as to why I've made my decision. That's 3 minutes work for the sake of my enjoyment.
Seriously doubt any side is taking Neville Jetta ahead of the likes of Shiels, Motlop and Rich. Shut down back pockets who can't play tall are not high value players.
I'd take Jetta quite personally but feel free to disagree.

I reckon the 08 draft is underrated. Heaps of quality at the top end and through the latter rounds, and even PSD and rookie draft.

This is how I'd rate the top 25 from this draft year:

1. Sloane
2. Hannebery
3. Beams
4. Sidebottom
5. Shuey
6. Hurley
7. Naitanui
8. Rockliff
9. Hill
10. Ziebell
11. Picken
12. Walters
13. Zaharakis
14. Jacobs
15. Davis
16. Breust
17. Shiels
18. Lynch
19. Hartlett
20. Motlop
21. Watts
22. Rich
23. Trengove
24. Broadbent
25. Roughead

I reckon the 08 draft is underrated. Heaps of quality at the top end and through the latter rounds, and even PSD and rookie draft.

This is how I'd rate the top 25 from this draft year:

1. Sloane
2. Hannebery
3. Beams
4. Sidebottom
5. Shuey
6. Hurley
7. Naitanui
8. Rockliff
9. Hill
10. Ziebell
11. Picken
12. Walters
13. Zaharakis
14. Jacobs
15. Davis
16. Breust
17. Shiels
18. Lynch
19. Hartlett
20. Motlop
21. Watts
22. Rich
23. Trengove
24. Broadbent
25. Roughead
Rich over Watts any day.

Yarran was splendid in the early years but he probably falls behind Watts.

I'd take Hartlett's career output over Watts' every day. Admittedly I forgot about Watts but he'd perhaps only just scrape into the top 20. I'm not going to spend three hours carefully studying players' histories before coming to a formal conclusion as to why I've made my decision. That's 3 minutes work for the sake of my enjoyment.
I didn't ask you to do the list, but if you're going to perhaps don't "forget" players.

I agree Watts would be around the 20 mark.

Hartlett has been an abject failure and still doesn't quite average 20 disposals over his 130 game career. I agree career wise he still has Watts covered, but in the open market Watts would now have more suitors and by the end of their careers I expect Watts to overtake him.

I get the fact Watts had a good season last year but lets not get carried away.

Now if he had kicked 259 goals to date like someone else from this draft everyone would take Jack at #1 again, but this guy kicks 259 goals (almost 100 goals more than the next highest) and cant get into the top 20 from the draft, GMAB!

I didn't ask you to do the list, but if you're going to perhaps don't "forget" players.

I agree Watts would be around the 20 mark.

Hartlett has been an abject failure and still doesn't quite average 20 disposals over his 130 game career. I agree career wise he still has Watts covered, but in the open market Watts would now have more suitors and by the end of their careers I expect Watts to overtake him.
I didn't ask for your feedback on said post.

I bolded the main point, where you agree with me on the topic of discussion. If you actually agreed on the reason you quoted me, why are you trying to start arguments?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back