Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

How did that spud Murphy go in the B&F this year? Or do you, a typical ill-informed BF numbnut (like most of us) know better?
Wow..

Another imbicile that used our B&F results as a great gauge of how a player went this year.

You clearly didnt watch the results of the B&F as they came in.. some utterly bewildering votes given throught the entire night.

Murphy as a small forward doesnt hit the scoreboard. Murphy as a mid doesnt get anywhere near enough possesions. Murphy as a footballer needs to be replaced in our 22 ASAP.

He’s garbage.

A few cling to his performance in the Geelong game this year, which was great, but then completely ignore most of the rest of his season and dont ever dare mention his games against the Pies and Essendon..

Two games after which, if he had any dignity whatsoever, he shouldve fronted up to the media, admitted he isnt good enough to play at the level… and announced his retirement “effective immediately”.

As someone who’s touted as one of our experienced players.. His garbage costs us wins. Cant be accepted once we become finals contenders.

I rate Beau Mccerry much higher with his speed etc but I wander how their stats matched up this season

Edit - just had a look on footywire and Murphy comes up v well
Murphy gets up the ground a lot better than McCreery but in regards to the pure pressure forward role, McCreery’s speed, size and ferocity makes him one of the best in the comp in that regard

Helps that he has goalkickers like Elliott, Hill and now Schultz next to him, too

Wow..

Another imbicile that used our B&F results as a great gauge of how a player went this year.

You clearly didnt watch the results of the B&F as they came in.. some utterly bewildering votes given throught the entire night.

Murphy as a small forward doesnt hit the scoreboard. Murphy as a mid doesnt get anywhere near enough possesions. Murphy as a footballer needs to be replaced in our 22 ASAP.

He’s garbage.

A few cling to his performance in the Geelong game this year, which was great, but then completely ignore most of the rest of his season and dont ever dare mention his games against the Pies and Essendon..

Two games after which, if he had any dignity whatsoever, he shouldve fronted up to the media, admitted he isnt good enough to play at the level… and announced his retirement “effective immediately”.

As someone who’s touted as one of our experienced players.. His garbage costs us wins. Cant be accepted once we become finals contenders.
Bullshit. He's a role player

Murphy gets up the ground a lot better than McCreery but in regards to the pure pressure forward role, McCreery’s speed, size and ferocity makes him one of the best in the comp in that regard

Helps that he has goalkickers like Elliott, Hill and now Schultz next to him, too
Yep McCreery is a better pressure player with his speed , better in space due to his speed

Murphy has him covered in traffic

They both get high up the ground , McCreery comes off the wing at times

Find it interesting that Murphy’s season comes up marginally on top statistically , Beau is much better around goals

Probably fairly even stats when you consider TOG

Murphy is not someone I worry about being selected these days , especially with Ned out of side and Rankine / Rachele out there

Murphy >>> Ned in my book and I’d only have one at most

So does Murphy in that case with Rankine, Rachele and Pedlar.

I don't know if I'd classify Murphy as a pressure forward with the current campaign. Seems more like he was used as a Tom Lynch kind of gut runner/psuedo-wing more so than anything else.

As soon as I saw one had more goals, tackles, better disposal efficiency, fewer turnovers and clangers, I knew that player was McCreery
What about effective disposals and score involvements ?

Also 0.6 goals vs 0.7 goals 😂 what a margin

Let’s be honest - for someone we rate much higher in here re Beau vs Lachie the statistical difference isn’t really in any one’s favour either way

So if you start comparing Murphy to other small forwards who aren’t as good as Beau then it starts to look like compared to the large percentage of time that people want to talk about Murphy on here vs the actual influence he has on our losses is way out whack

Actually shows a lazy analysis

Yep McCreery is a better pressure player with his speed , better in space due to his speed

Murphy has him covered in traffic

They both get high up the ground , McCreery comes off the wing at times

Find it interesting that Murphy’s season comes up marginally on top statistically , Beau is much better around goals

Probably fairly even stats when you consider TOG

Murphy is not someone I worry about being selected these days , especially with Ned out of side and Rankine / Rachele out there

Murphy >>> Ned in my book and I’d only have one at most
It’ll be interesting to see Murphy’s game time this year with McAdam gone and Rachele hopefully getting more mid minutes

If Rachele is part of the main mid rotation with Daws/Laird/Crouch, it probably opens up a spot for a Murphy type in our best forward 7

That said, I think targeting a Hayward type as a medium marking forward should be a priority next off-season, to provide a different dynamic to our attack, especially with Keays also playing a hard running half-forward role

Bullshit. He's a role player
What role(s) does he play?..

A small forward that only kicked 12 goals this year and just 9 measly goals in each of the previous two seasons? Is that his role?..

Oh wait its that mysteriously super important “forward pressure” role right…

Or as a midfielder that barely scrapes together a dozen possesions a game?

Time to replace him with someone that can actually perform the “role(s)”.

Go look at stats for the dons and pies games in melbourne this year.. what’d he get in that pies game?.. was it 4 possesions all game?.. and in the last quarter when the game was on the line in that dons game and we were coming back?.. 1 fxxkn touch.

Pitiful..

Look at his away record for most games this season.. deplorable.

For a bloke whos meant to be an older, set the example to our youth, more experienced head.. he lets the team down 3 out of every 4 games.

Squealing “he’s a role player” doesnt paper over, or somehow excuse, these basic facts on the blokes performances.

It was a great story how he finally made it onto an AFL list… really great.. its been a journey.. from merch guy to AFL gig…but.. He’s still garbage.

The sooner he’s replaced the better.

It’ll be interesting to see Murphy’s game time this year with McAdam gone and Rachele hopefully getting more mid minutes

If Rachele is part of the main mid rotation with Daws/Laird/Crouch, it probably opens up a spot for a Murphy type in our best forward 7

That said, I think targeting a Hayward type as a medium marking forward should be a priority next off-season, to provide a different dynamic to our attack, especially with Keays also playing a hard running half-forward role
I don’t reckon Murphy’s game time will change much

Keays will play forward more and shouldn’t be playing much midfield anymore

What role(s) does he play?..

A small forward that only kicked 12 goals this year and just 9 measly goals in each of the previous two seasons? Is that his role?..

Oh wait its that mysteriously super important “forward pressure” role right…

Or as a midfielder that barely scrapes together a dozen possesions a game?

Time to replace him with someone that can actually perform the “role(s)”.

Go look at stats for the dons and pies games in melbourne this year.. what’d he get in that pies game?.. was it 4 possesions all game?.. and in the last quarter when the game was on the line in that dons game and we were coming back?.. 1 fxxkn touch.

Pitiful..

Look at his away record for most games this season.. deplorable.

For a bloke whos meant to be an older, set the example to our youth, more experienced head.. he lets the team down 3 out of every 4 games.

Squealing “he’s a role player” doesnt paper over, or somehow excuse, these basic facts on the blokes performances.

It was a great story how he finally made it onto an AFL list… really great.. its been a journey.. from merch guy to AFL gig…but.. He’s still garbage.

The sooner he’s replaced the better.
You must hate Beau McCeery

Football isn’t like the 1980s anymore where a forward kicking goals is a the sole metric , forward line is the sum of its parts and scoring goals isn’t our problem

Letting opposition score too many is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has the Clam Man moved on from Benny Keays with his GARBAGE posting...
Benny is better than murphy.. miles better.

Benny doesnt often go MIA for long periods. Hes always in the game and he sets a massively high standard for our youth and has carried many of them through our rebuild.

Benny’s problem is his disposal and decision making..

Which is GARBAGE.

Hopefully we see more of Cook, dowling or taylor in that half forward/mid/float up the wing “role” that Murphy seemed to have been floating around in this year..

All three have far better footy pedigree.

Or maybe even Charlie Edwards..

Hopefully we see more of Cook, dowling or taylor in that half forward/mid/float up the wing “role” that Murphy seemed to have been floating around in this year..

All three have far better footy pedigree.

Or maybe even Charlie Edwards..
Yeah Cook would be a welcome addition if he can raise his consistency of intensity. His ceiling from a pure impact POV is higher than Murphy’s. If he doesn’t come on, you target Hayward

I’d prefer to play Edwards as a mid/wing in the SANFL to further develop his craft, rather than use him as a forward at AFL level

What about effective disposals and score involvements ?

Also 0.6 goals vs 0.7 goals 😂 what a margin

Let’s be honest - for someone we rate much higher in here re Beau vs Lachie the statistical difference isn’t really in any one’s favour either way

So if you start comparing Murphy to other small forwards who aren’t as good as Beau then it starts to look like compared to the large percentage of time that people want to talk about Murphy on here vs the actual influence he has on our losses is way out whack

Actually shows a lazy analysis

Murphy plays further up the ground for little additional impact, and is inferior playing either a pressure or goal kicking forward role

For example it takes Murphy roughly 50% more disposals to generate 30% more inside 50s and score involvements

Powerful kick and decent size for a half back , I wonder whether Hamish sees a bit of Brodie Smith in him with Brodie close to his use by date

I was really disappointed re not getting Goad , the afls compo favours were the difference there

Hopefully we can lure him back in 3 years when he’s ready for AFL
also unlucky as Goad the 20th player picked (meaning 3 years initial contract) compared to Edwards 2 years at 21st pick

You must hate Beau McCeery

Football isn’t like the 1980s anymore where a forward kicking goals is a the sole metric , forward line is the sum of its parts and scoring goals isn’t our problem

Letting opposition score too many is

Murphy is our fourth most effective pressure act/tackling forward behind Keays, Rachele and Rankine in that order

McCreery is Collingwood's second best pressure forward behind Taylor Adams (if he counts)

There's no need to overrate Murphy's contribution to the side. He's a role player who is pretty average at his role. It is what it is.

What you agree that Lachie Murphy is "pure garbage" ?

No - only that I think at times Newchurch showed enough consistency that he deserved to be tested 2022 season.

He had enough attacking weapons to be trialled at times I thought.

In terms of Murphy. No I get why he is in the team and I think he generally justifies his place.
There are a number of “Murphy’s” in various teams that play a role

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can tolerate Murphy in our team because the Murphy-Rowe-McHenry unholy trinity of spud smalls has been astronomically upgraded to Murphy-Rankine-Rachele

Don't forget about Pedlar either in this.

You can certainly carry one or two forwards who don't bring a whole lot of goal scoring power to plug other gaps when you have three who will.

Nope, to refer to players as garbage is not on...

Garbage, trash, rubbish, or refuse is waste material that is discarded by humans, usually due to a perceived lack of utility. The term generally does not encompass bodily waste products, purely liquid or gaseous wastes, or toxic waste products.
Geez you get triggered easy..

Im not saying murphy as a human being is garbage.. i’m sure he’s probably a bloody great bloke..
i’m saying his football ability as an AFL player is garbage.

And…

Dont you have something better to do?.. like going and creating the “2024 AFL Draft Discussion” thread..

You’ve dropped the ball this year bicks.. you’re late with it.. the 2023 AFL draft is effectively over for the crows.. time to start looking to next year.

Back